Thursday, September 29, 2005

My New Home


My internet has been down since shortly after I blogged on Tuesday. I am just barely over the feeling of being disconnected from my knitting sisters. I'd like to say that I have all kinds of knitting to report about, but no. Still pondering what to do about Weasley (thanks for all the advice) and still working on those socks.

In case you missed my friend Kara's comment, there's a golden opportunity for us in Scotland, on Fair Isle. The Scottish government is offering two charming properties to let, for the paltry sum of $600 a year. (Check out this link for more information.)

One of my dream lifestyles is to live somewhere romantically bleak, very green, and very cold. I might be the only person to ever watch the movie The Shipping News with an intense urge to emigrate. I am one of those (possibly very few) people to layover at the Reykjavik airport and wish I were staying for a while. In another life, I think I may have lived in a little sod cottage, knitting Aran sweaters for someone who looked a little like a rugged version of this. So, this is more or less my fantasy home. Hey, how about a time share for knitbloggers? I know Olga could do with some cold weather.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scotland *sighs dreamily* that is the place I want to live.. so romantic rugged it seems like you would travel back in time when your there.. So saving for my own trip to scotland it might take me a few years but once I get there I aint leaving *lol*

11:15 PM  
Blogger Surly said...

Timeshare is a great idea. I should look further into my ancestry. (I'm part Scottish) and see if anyone in my ancestry is from Fair Isle. I agree with you on the cold, knitting, green fantasy thing. That is prime knitting vacation territory.

1:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura - where did you find the "rugged" guy........?

7:49 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Christine -- not-so-rugged guy is Ioan Gruffudd, who played Horatio Hornblower in the A&E series and Lancelot in King Arthur.

Now my fascination with obscure British actors is out of the closet. Next up, Colin Firth and Clive Owen. HAHA!

9:32 AM  
Blogger JustApril said...

Ditto all of those comments, if only......

Maybe someday we'll all get to see it in person

8:08 PM  
Blogger knittinmom said...

Wow - that is gorgeous. I can almost hear the sound of bagpipes wafting over the hills. I can smell the wet wool already!

8:37 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

I am with you on the Reykavik lay-over, I felt the same way when I went there, but I chalked it up to growing up brunette in Minnesota and being a Scandinavian wannabe...

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home