Saturday, September 24, 2005

Sock Nirvana

So here are the toe-up socks that have been such a pleasure for me lately. I am carrying this project around with me everywhere: from room to room, while running errands, etc. Nonetheless, I don't seem to be making much progress. This could be because:
1. I am doing most of my knitting this week at stoplights (it's been that kind of week);
2. I am frantically skipping around between projects (socks, Weasley, Katrina squares, back again--but that's another post); or
3. every time I pick this up to work on it I can't resist trying it on and marvelling at it.

First, there are the little things about the toe-up technique that I find amazing, since this is my first time attempting it. The provisional cast on and short rows produce something that, to me, is nothing short of genius and perfection--a seamless toe. (Those seams can really bug me, even in machine-made socks.) There's the fact that the toe shaping looks rather strange, being more trapezoidal (if that's a word) than toes generally look, but nonetheless fits beautifully.

Second, I can't stop trying it on because I can see already that these are going to be the ne plus ultra of my sock wardrobe. The yarn is KnitPicks (do they rock or do they rock?!) Simple Stripes in Vineyard. So soft already, and I'll bet they'll be even softer after they've been washed. And the fit is so perfect. Sigh... If I ever stop admiring this, I might get to turning the heel. And knitting the other sock.

6 Comments:

Blogger cmeknit said...

It looks great...I was wondering about their self patterning yarn. I am the exact same way...constantly trying it on...and leaving it there as I watch TV for a while...I am glad I am not the only one!

10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it looks great! I'm so jealous at all you sock knitters. Im a little afraid to try my own it looks hard.

7:15 AM  
Blogger Surly said...

I haven't tried a toe up yet. I'm just turning the heel on some top down socks and will definately betrying on the heel and (hopefully) admiring!

8:44 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

If I ever get around to knitting up those 3 pairs of socks I had planned a while back from KnitPicks yarn I bought (sock memories) it would be a miracle. But looking at your socks, I'm definitely giving the toe up variation a try. They look perfect, and definitely fit you well!

Do you think there will be any pooling issues while turning the heel?

3:21 PM  
Blogger knittinmom said...

Gorgeous! I'll have to try toe-up, one of these days. And I love that yarn. Time to put in another Knit Picks order? Hmm...

1:22 PM  
Blogger quantumtea said...

:-) I made toe up socks, using magic loop, with that exact same yarn and colour. In fact, I'm wearing them right now! The yarn goes all soft after a trip through the washer, and it's survived several washer/dryer excursions. The KnitPicks yarn is great stuff!

12:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home