Friday, September 16, 2005

We Have a Decision, and Public Service Announcements

Thanks everyone for your input on the Weasley sweater. I have decided not to frog, and to proceed as is. Here's why:

1. J doesn't even know who Harry Potter is, let alone whether his sweater will be just like Harry's.

2. I still have another chance to make one that looks just like the original--S's Weasley.

3. Have you noticed that on the blog button for Another Weasley, the initials on Harry and Ron's sweaters are right up in the middle of their chests?

4. It will still be a nice sweater.

5. Too many other damn KALs (see sidebar).

6. As Carolyn says...so much yarn, so little time. For a variation on this reason, take a looky at this lovely WIP on Christine's blog.

Moving along to the PSA portion of this post...

Speaking of lace...there is a neat thread on Knitter's Review forum about what drives lace knitters to knit lace. I have been thinking for a while, especially from reading Carolyn's blog and Yarn Harlot, that I would like to give lace a try. But this thread, and seeing Christine's River-in-Progress, may have just tipped the scale. The way the lace knitters on the forum articulated their love for this type of knitting make it sound so inviting. I sense a major yarn purchase in my future. Christine has said that River would make a good beginner lace project. Any other ideas?

I love love love knitters. They are so helpful. Working on my cable bands for Kepler, I was getting v. annoyed with the cable needle. And, then, voila, on Grumperina's blog, the most amazing tutorial on cabling without a cable needle. But I couldn't figure out how to do crossed stitches (like sl 2 sts to cn to back, k next 2 sts, p 2 sts from cn) without the cable needle and posted a question at the Knitty Coffeeshop. In about half an hour, maybe less, extremely helpful responses from three or four different people about how to do it. Incredible. Knitters rule.

Finally, yet another reason why I love love love the Internet -- podcasts! Have you all checked out the podcasts at Knitcast? (Probably you have, I tend to be the last person to catch on to a technology trend.) So fun. The other day when I was working on J's Weasley, I listened to about six of them. You don't need an MP3 player -- you can listen on your computer! Check it out!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh, Laura, I blush......However, personally, I love knitting lace because it feels like an accomplishment, to actually figure out the pattern and make it work. But, the most amazing part of lace knitting is what happens when the item is blocked.....too good for words. You can do it, it really does look harder than it is, in most cases (not the Unst.....)

12:29 PM  
Blogger cmeknit said...

You are so nice! I can't believe I am in the same sentence as the yarn harlot! I am about to start River...well soon...I did do a couple rows and it is very easy to do. It would be a great lace project to start with. The river along (like you want another KAL) has a chart to read from.

6:07 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Wheee, you have buttons! :)

So glad you've decided not to frog. *sigh of relief for you*

And I'm off to check out your Knittyboard post. I am doing okay with my cable needle, but always like learning new stuff! :) And, yes, the folks on the boards totally ROCK!

11:41 AM  
Blogger quantumtea said...

I'm working on my first lace project, Faina's scarf and it's going a lot better than I expected! It's not as scary as you might think, just make sure you have some quiet space to start work. No TV, no radio, just you and the knit. Helped me no end!

7:07 PM  
Blogger knittinmom said...

Aren't the knitty boards awesome? I wish I had more time to spend in there... And I can't wait to steal your button - I will get it up one of these days!

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home