Tuesday, September 27, 2005

You Might Think I'm Crazy

I don't like it. I've knit all the front up to the neck, including this wonky initial, and one shoulder and started the other. And now I don't like it. It definitely needs more curve at the bottom (Minty and Erica, I should have listened to you.) Plus, the top of the J looks weird. And the tension is all messed up because I stranded instead of breaking the yarn after each row.

It's hard to tell from this picture, but the stitches in the middle of the front are on a separate holder. I've been thinking. Uh-oh. I wonder if I could frog just the stitches in the middle of the front, after inserting a lifeline, of course. This would leave some strands going across, but couldn't I just cut them? And then attach a new ball to reknit the middle with the initial, and knit in all those loose ends? Have I lost it?

Remind me. No more caffeine with dinner. It leads to these late night knitting manias.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mintyfresh said...

Oh Laura! I'm sorry that it's not making you happy.

Your proposed method for fixing makes me nervous, however. The word 'cut' appeared in there, and that just makes me quiver. I would maybe drop all of those stitches, then use a crochet hook to work them back up--only I'd tuck some new contrasting yarn in there to get the shaping I wanted. This might be more complicated than what you proposed, and may in fact be impossible, I'm not sure.

wishing you luck and easy fixing!

7:43 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I know. The word cut makes me quiver, too. (Steeks -- probably not for me!) But I thought maybe the worst thing that could happen is that I have to frog the whole d*&% front down to the armholes. Which was my first plan, before I started doing my dangerous late-night thinking.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Surly said...

I done waht minty proposed before. Actually I've done it numerous times, when the frogging would take away quite a few rows for on e or two messed up stitches, then I just crocheted everything back up to the knitting needle. But, that is a big area to rework, it might be safest to frog the entire piece down to the j. Yuck!

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, this is not related to your current knitting problem, but NPR has a story on-line today about the government of Scotland renting cottages on Fair Aisle for $600 a year to knitters. And I know that someone there would be able to help you.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4866217

9:45 AM  
Blogger Kristyn said...

I hope that you got the problem solved! By the way... where did you find a weasley pattern? I want to make one for my niece. Any thougts?

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home