Thursday, October 27, 2005

Carolyn's Most Excellent Idea

A knitting meme! I was stupidly excited to be tagged. It made me feel like one of the cool kids.

1. What is your all-time favorite yarn to knit with?

Well, although I own tons of it, and I totally agree with Chrissy that it's the "Budweiser of yarns," it's not Wool-Ease. I loved knitting with Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk, though it didn't frog too well. Also, I received a ball of Filatura di Crosa Zara as an RAK, and that is like heaven. So soft.

2. Favorite needles?

Well, almost always circular ones. Even if I'm knitting back and forth, I usually use circs. (As far as I'm concerned, the raison d'etre of dpns is i-cord.) For some projects, you just can't beat the Addis. I also have many 40" inch Inox circulars of which I am very fond. But I like the warmth and organic feel of bamboo needles, too, to put it as cheesily as possible.

3. What's the worst thing you ever knit?

Lord, where to begin? I went through a novelty yarn fluffy scarf phase. Is that bad enough?

4. Favorite knit pattern? The most fun to knit?

Hard to say. I knit a lot of things that are basics -- basic raglan sweater, basic socks, etc. The Log Cabin socks that I am working on now are really fun. Elizabeth Zimmerman's "yoke sweater by the percentages" from Knitting Without Tears is a favorite.

5. Most valuable knitting technique?

The combination of toe-up, short-row toes and heels, and the Magic Loop (knitting on one long circ) makes socks really, really fun to knit. Cabling without a cable needle has made me love cables.

6. Best knit book or magazine?

My favorite knitting magazine is definitely Interweave Knits. I love to look at the "Staff Projects." It's fun to see how different designers interpret a garment, even if I wouldn't want to knit that particular project. As far as knitting books go, I can't possibly pick one. I love Elizabeth Zimmerman (don't we all?). Nancie Wiseman's Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques is really helpful with a part of the process that I find trying. Maggie Righetti's Knitting in Plain English is an often overlooked, very valuable resource. For browsing/eye candy/inspiration, Weekend Knitting and Handknit Holidays by Melanie Falick.

7. Favorite knitalong?

I'm really new to this KAL thing, but I love it! I can't really participate in an SnB (it's hard for me to go out in the evenings), so for me KALs and blogging are my only opportunity to knit with others. I have to give Lolly her props. Socktoberfest rocks.

8. Favorite knitblogs?

Well, I read all the Usual Suspects (Yarn Harlot, Grumperina, blue blog, Knit and Tonic). At risk of sounding like a total suck-up, I have to say Carolyn's blog is my favorite. Her projects really have inspired me to try new (usually harder!) things. Check out Anna's My Fashionable Life; she doesn't post very often, but when she does, it's amazing. Since I love to travel, and can't really, I like to do it virtually through blogstalking: international favorites are Carola's Sheep and No City from Iceland and Serendipity from Melbourne, Australia. Chris's bits of knits always puts a smile on my face.

9. Favorite knitwear designer?

Hmmm. I haven't ever knitted one of her designs, but I like the look of Jo Sharp's stuff. Also Norah Gaughan.

10. The knit item that you wear the most?

Most of the stuff that I have made was either made for someone else, or I ended up giving it away. I have been wearing this sweater a lot lately. But I am sure that it will be displaced in my affection when I finish this. My Vineyard socks have been getting a lot of use too.
Minty, Olga, Carla, Chrissy and Kathy: you are tagged!

Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes for G and the nice comments about the Log Cabin socks! I hope to be posting the finished pair soon!

5 Comments:

Blogger MiniLaura said...

hey! I was thinking about tagging you but someone got you first

7:56 PM  
Blogger cmeknit said...

I so remember those sad novelty scarf days...I kind of blocked it out of my memory! I can't believe I am your favourite blog...I can't believe anyone reads my blog! I am so flattered...thanks. I love seeing your imput on the knitting forum...thanks for participating in the meme:)

10:12 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

loved the meme! your hubby is a cutie, happy birthday Mr. A!

4:56 PM  
Blogger chris said...

I totally cracked up at Chrissy's comment about Wool-Ease being the Budweiser of yarns!! Too funny. And your Vineyard socks sure look cute in those shoes! And BTW, I know the cool kids would probably not bat an eye at being mentioned in someone else's meme, but clearly, I am not cool. I just about swooned seeing my name mentioned in the same paragraph as the Yarn Harlot and Grumperina. To be sure, we were separated by at least several sentences, (just a technicality, really. Who's counting? ;-)) but you sure made my day. Can't wait to see those Log Cabin socks!!

5:51 PM  
Blogger Glaistig said...

Yay, my first tag ever! I need to get cracking on my responses.

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home