Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Small Treats


One of the secrets of a happy life is continuous small treats. -- Iris Murdoch
The deals we make with ourselves... Ms. affiknitty was seriously behind in her laundry duties. The clothes were clean (most of them, anyway), but folded and put away? Not exactly. I wouldn't mind doing laundry at all, if I didn't have to fold and put away. Especially the unmentionables. But I perservered, and the dressers are refilled.
My small treat for the afternoon arrived in the mail today -- Knitting Vintage Socks! I spent a half an hour or so perusing it over a cup of Ceylon Sonata. The Socktober Madness continues!
Well, it's a lovely book. I enjoyed the introductory parts discussing her sources and how she adapted the patterns. She clearly put a ton of work into making the patterns doable for modern knitters -- for example, in the original patterns, the required yarn was sometimes described only as "pretty" or "soft." Yikes. But there weren't as many "I must knit that!" moments as I had with Knitting on the Road. Lots of socks for guys -- if Mr. A sees this book, I could busy for years just knitting socks for him. I really like the Fancy Silk Sock, Evening Stockings for a Young Lady, and the Child's Sock in Miranda pattern.
Is there a Vintage Socks KAL? And I'm also considering this for when Socktoberfest is over (sob!).
Somebody stop me before I KAL again.

3 Comments:

Blogger chris said...

I love the new dot-less look!! I am envious of all those who possess HTML tweaking skills. :-) Folding laundry is the worst. That said, I would do it in a heartbeat if I knew Knitting Vintage Socks would magically arrive at my doorstep. I'm placing a KnitPicks order soon and was debating between this book and Knitting on the Road, so I appreciate the review.

BTW, I loved the Mr. Affiknitty list- especially the coffee in the shower bit. Multitasking at its finest. :-)

4:06 AM  
Blogger cmeknit said...

I really want that book, and can't find it yet. Everyone says they like knitting on the road better, but to be honest, I haven't knit a sock from that book yet. I'm calling my LYS today to see if they have it yet, canadians are really behind!

9:06 AM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

I'm still up for starting a Falling Leaves KAL if you are! :) God knows I don't need to, but. . . .

*And I'm glad you made mention of the dots. I knew something was different, but thought it was just the sidebar moved to the other side.

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home