Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Socktoberfest!


Here they are, my first pair of Socktober socks! Why the vino? Because Carolyn challenged us all to be creative in the way we document our sox, and because these are knit in KnitPicks Simple Stripes in the Vineyard colorway. These were made with the Magic Loop method, toe-up, with short row toes and heels. Such a rockin' method for socks. There's something very elegantly efficient about combining short row toes and heels with the circular needles. They're short because I like anklets and I was seriously anxious to get them on my feet!

I'd have had these done sooner, but I had to do a little frogging and reknitting on the first one. First of all, as I was finishing the second sock, I had to start a new ball of yarn. And I realized that it was wound the opposite direction than the other ball I used. That is, the colors were occurring in the opposite order. Now I know there's probably an easy way to solve this problem, but the only one I could think of involved rolling up a ball of yarn from the skein. And we all know that I am a Lazy Knitter.

Also, the first sock I did had a little 2x2 rib and then a rolled stockinette top. It looked really cute and casual with this sock. But even though I bound off with a size 5 needle (as opposed to the size twos I used to knit them), they were a little tight around the top. Not tight around my leg, but it was kind of hard to get it over my heel as I was putting it on. So, on the next sock, I did 2x2 rib with a picot bind off. Cute! And much, much more elastic. Maybe a little too much so, as they slouch a bit. But I think that looks cute. And no one wants unsightly sock marks around the calves.

Interestingly, my bigger Little Guy was fascinated with my socks! He put them on and wanted to carry them around, etc. So next on the Socktober agenda is a pair of knit socks for S!

Also, thanks everyone for the very, very kind words about my last post. Being a SAHM is important, and fun, and tiring, and rewarding. As all you moms out there know, it's easy to forget many days that you are, to use Lolly's great phrase, raising little humans as opposed to just cleaning up poop and washing dishes and folding laundry. So thanks for the wake-up call. Because I love them to bits, here are gratuitous pics of my favorite Little Guys.

10 Comments:

Blogger cmeknit said...

The socks look great...and great photo! I love the picot bind off...it adds a little something!
Great pics of the boys.

1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those cheeks! How do you get any thing (knitting or otherwise) done with such squooshable cheeks around?!? The socks are adorable, and might just make me knit up a pair. Here's my question: what sort of shoes does one wear pretty handknit socks with when the weather is cold and damp and mucky?

3:08 PM  
Blogger knittinmom said...

Wow! I LOVE that yarn knit up... The socks look great. I'm about to attempt a toe-up pair, once I finish my Straight Laced socks. I hope mine look as good as yours!

Also, here's to SAHM's. It is often gruelling, unrewarding work but my kids are my finest accomplishment and they're worth it! I think mommying is the most undervalued profession there is. I read somewhere that SAHMs would make like $160k a year if it were a corporate position due to the long hours and ridiculous number of duties...if only!

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What cute kids! I'm a SAHM too. I think my fellow knit bloggers are the only thing that helps me keep my sanity some days.

4:42 PM  
Blogger chris said...

The socks look fabulous!! Love the vino pose, too. :) I'm going to have to order some Simple Stripes now- it looks so great knitted up. Your boys are so adorable, too!! Being in the same boat, I hear you about the SAHM thing. Raising "little humans" is the toughest job there is. It's all worth it if we can contribute to the humanity of this world by nurturing good and loving human beings.

6:03 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

your little humans are really cute!!! I love the slouching look on those socks....I didn't know that the knitpicks stripped socks were so cute on!!! i am a beleiver now! watch out credit card:)

10:58 AM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

I have the answer for Erica! You get CLEAR shoes. :) My mom just bought me a pair of Sloggers clogs that are clear so I could show off my socks. *Oddly enough, I can't find them on their website.* They're so cool, though. And a few of the LYSs in my area have clear boots (but I hear your feet don't "breathe" well in those). Here's a link to a shop with clogs: http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID4803327P4195010-Clogs/Clear-Clogs-THEYRE-HERE.aspx

8:28 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I absolutly love these socks! the colour is amazing. must. buy. more. sock. yarn.

10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The pic of your socks is sure to start a buying frenzy at Knit Picks - I'd best put in my order before they run out. By the way - you have created cute humans too!

5:44 PM  
Blogger Carola said...

Very nice socks. What a shame, I just ordered at Knitpicks and the yarn didn't look THAT nice there. Fantastic Socktober-mood picture, with oh.. wine! The 'things' in the other pictures look like little hmans to me ;-) Cute ones, and good taste in socks even!

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home