Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Swatcheroo!

Thanks everyone for the helpful comments about swatching for socks! As I more or less expected, there were almost as many methods (or nonmethods!) as there were commenters. Catherine reminded me that it's easy to do a small swatch when you use the Magic Loop method. Debi had a cute idea for a draft doggie made of connected socks swatches. Debi has an amazing tutorial on Turkish cast-on on her blog. (She's also done tutorials on beaded knitting and kitchener stitch for sock toes. Check it out!) Several people don't swatch for socks at all. They're in good company -- according to her intro in Knitting on the Road, sock guru Nancy Bush just starts the sock and rips if her gauge is off.

I just (re)bought this book today. Several months ago, in an eBay frenzy, I sold this book, thinking to myself -- Admit it, Laura, you are just not going to be a sock knitter. What was I thinking?! Ah well, that was BB -- before blogging. Anyway, I've read so many raves about this book from Sock Knitters in the Know that I decided I really needed to have it. So many beautiful socks! I really want to do Friday Harbor, Conwy, Whitby, and Unst. (I'm a little afraid of Unst.) I give Ms. Bush super mad bonus points for the handy chart o' sock yarns in the front. All that information would make substituting yarns a cinch.

I also found a copy of the new IK mag, knitscene. I expected it to be like VK's knit.1 but the projects are generally much nicer and prettier. That being said, there are some things here that I would never knit or wear. Prime example: the "Sleeveless Vest." You may know "Sleeveless Vest" by its other name -- "Tube Top." Kind of reminds me of "Not Prunes But Dried Plums." Knitscene features a goodly amount of novelty yarn, but there are plenty of projects using traditional fibers. There are a couple of nice-looking men's sweaters, too, and some crochet projects. Bottom line: fun eye candy in the IK tradition.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're going to convince me to take up sock knitting with all of your rapturous posts, woman! I can just feel it.

3:14 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Thanks for the props Laura :)

Are you subscribed to any RSS feeds?I tried to add you to bloglines but it said there was no feed?

7:48 PM  
Blogger MiniLaura said...

I was highy unimpressed with Knitscene. At first glance I looked very nice, but upon closer inspection, I decided that there wasn't anything that I really wanted to knit

8:58 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Looking at all the great socks on other Socktoberists' blogs, I really want to get Knitting on the Road, too. Friday Harbor is so pretty. I didn't realize KnitScene was out already- I'll have to keep my eye out for it. I haven't seen the projects yet, but now I'm curious about the not-prunes-but-dried plums tube top. :-)

9:51 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

i really want that sock knitters book! everyone keeps raving about the patterens inside.. i am literally salivating to get my hands on it:)

10:23 PM  
Blogger amylovie said...

Thank you for the comment on my hubby's mostrous socks. I won't be knitting him another pair for a while. That was like knitting a sweater.

I bought Knitscene as well. Great mag!

Amy

8:12 AM  
Blogger knittinmom said...

You should join the KOTR knit-along (there's a link on my sidebar)! A different sock is picked for every two month period. They just finished up Friday Harbor and are now working on Conwy. (I missed out on Friday Harbor but I'm about halfway through my first Conwy cuff). I really love the book and all the socks!

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
I checked the link you had for how to rip back.. but can't find the instructions. I'm doing a very complicated lacy thing right now and need to RIP.. this may be just what I needed.. can you give us the actual link to the instructions?

Thanks,
Mia

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home