Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Alone Time

J has been with his grandma for the last couple of nights, so I've had some alone time while S is busy at school and with his therapy. For me, that means two things: a matinee and a yarn crawl. Woo-hoo!

Yesterday afternoon, I went to see Shopgirl. It was fabulous. Granted, I think Steve Martin is a flippin' genius, so I was bound to like it. It was a little funny, a little romantic, a lot sad. Very good.

I also went to an LYS that is conveniently located near the theatre, and got this: it's called Truffles, by The SRK Collection. Eighty percent merino and twenty yummy percent cashmere. It is so soft, it is not to be believed. It's basically the same as Baby Cashmerino, but it only cost $6.99 a ball. Not bad! I have some BC in the stash too, so after I've tried both I'll give you a road test comparison.

Then, this morning I went to an LYS out in the suburbs that is new to me, Knitting on the Square in Chardon. Such a nice shop -- everything was really well-organized and it was easy to see and find things. They carry a really nice variety of stuff, from pricey Noro to plain ole Plymouth Encore. And very friendly and helpful! So, while I was there, I picked up this Karaoke. Meet Jennifer. She's my PUSHER. I went to this LYS and bought this yarn on her recommendation and I can see the downward spiral of addiction swirling before my eyes. Once I finish a few hats, I think this Karaoke will be my Clapotis. But here's the thing. I bought 500 meters and the pattern calls for 552 meters. It seems to me that I have heard people say that they used the suggested Lorna's Laces and had just enough. Maybe I've imagined that. Anyway, I'd rather make it narrower than shorter, so I need to know before I start what modifications I should make. Thanks to Courtney's tip, I should get all the help I need at the Clapotis Knitalong!

I've also been knitting hats, as you might have guessed. I have one finished, one almost finished, and one just started. But I'll post all hat related business here. There's no deadline to sign up for Cover Your Head, so if you're interested email me!

11 Comments:

Blogger msubulldog said...

I think the Clapotis actually calls for about 620 yds. I made mine out of 550 yds. of Blue Heron and just did one fewer increase repeat, the same # of straight rows and one fewer decrease repeat. I wound up with a little left over, but not enough to have done the extra width. I do plan to make another Clapotis, though, out of something warm & snuggly. Maybe after Christmas! (the Blue Heron is gorgeous and sparkly, but I want one as a more casual wrap)

4:53 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Oh, and hooray for Camp Grandma! The time to yourself must be heavenly. :)

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read where someone mentioned that they knit the increase rows then weighed their work and set aside that much yarn for the decrease rows. In theory, you could just knit up all the rest of your yarn until you run out, and still have plenty set aside for the end. Me? I bought way too much - just to be on the safe side. ;)

6:12 PM  
Blogger MiniLaura said...

oh---you'd better make a swatch with dropped stitches with that karaoke. Then, beat the dickens out of that swatch.

I'm not certain that the dropped stitches will look good or hold up with the yarn. It seems to felt and adhere to itself when it's just sitting there in a ball. My guess is that the dropped stitches will start to felt together with a little wear.

But I haven't tried it, maybe it will be fine.

6:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhhh, that Truffles yarn looks super yummy! Love the color too!

7:05 PM  
Blogger wittyknits said...

I just finished my Clapotis this week, and I used the Lorna's Laces. I made mine narrower by only doing 8 increase repeats instead of 12, and made it just as long, and I had about 12 yards of yarn left at the end.

9:02 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

I saw Shopgirl too, this weekend, and loved it! Holy crap, Laura, I was rolling in the aisles. Because that first date with Jason Schwartzmann? Hello! All of my dates from the past year rolled up into one! Not. Even. Kidding.

12:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh..how fun..some alone time! And where better to spend it than at a LYS. Nice new stash! I personally plan as many outings as possible around yarn shops ; )You wouldn't expect anything else would you?

12:50 PM  
Blogger jennifer said...

i'm so psyched you liked the shop in chardon! i must make a pilgrimage there every month or two just to make things right with the world. glad you are enjoying some much deserved "me-time", as well. let's do a sit&knit soon!

5:03 PM  
Blogger Jillio said...

mmm...karaoke...!!!
that stuff is heavenly to touch! i haven't worked with it yet, though. i had four balls of red in my stash, but a friend of mine who's actually not a knitter was having a bad day. i gave them to her with a pair of knitting needles. i taught her how to cast on, purl, knit, and cast off. i am praying she's going to use the yarn...oh, and that she feels a lot better now. hehe.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Surly said...

That's quite the yummy green yarn you have there!

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home