Saturday, November 19, 2005

Decisions, and a Challenge

So not much knitting done, at least nothing worth a picture. But I did have a conversation with Mr. Affiknitty last night that I had to share.

I have several decisions to make about Kepler. I'm definitely going to do it at least partially in the round instead of flat. That will save me the trouble of doing some seaming. But I can't decide if I want to make it a raglan, and do it completely in the round, or keep the set-in sleeves (gulp) and just knit in the round to the armhole shaping. I think I want to keep the ballet neck (so pretty!) but I'm not sure. And I definitely cannot decide about the cable bands on the sleeves. On the one hand, that's a very distinctive detail. On the other hand, the whole knit would be cleaner and quicker without them. Opinions are welcome. By the time I get done with this, my Kepler is going to be about as much a Kepler as, say, this.

Anyway, so I was discussing these issues with Mr. A. He had a few opinions about them. Then he dropped this little bombshell.

"So, when are you going to take on more challenging projects, like Eunny's?"

Excuse me?! Well.

Correct answer: When we hire a housekeeper.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, Mr. A is a man who likes living dangerously, eh?

2:24 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

You know, Laura, I'm usually a fan of set in sleeves, but I just looked at the pdf of the pattern, and those shoulders look a wee bit bulky. I think the raglan sleeves would not only be quicker but also sleeker. My advice on the cable bands is...why not just do a simple ribbed bindoff, or whatever, and then if you have time later and are so inclined, add the cabled bands some other time.

I just pulled out of storage the sweater I made last winter from the Yarn Girls Guide (not your average sweatshirt, or something like that, the pattern's called). It has set in sleeves and I love them, but I remember that sewing them in almost made me want to cry. I would settle for nothing less than perfect, so I ripped them out, oh, at least four or five times.

This doesn't mean that you couldn't accomplish this in time (I stubbornly kept at it and got them done in a night), but the raglan would save you some grief.

Mr. A reads your blogs???

5:19 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I'd do it as a raglan. I'd keep the cable bands on the sleeves mostly because I think that's a cool detail.

Let us know how it goes! I still have to cast on for Kepler...

5:59 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Oh, no, Mr. A! Shame on you.

I honestly don't have much opinion on the sweater, given that I haven't even cast on . . . I'm having design concerns of my own. I hadn't considered raglan sleeves, though. I think they'd look quite nice (and be comfy, to boot!). And I supposed they'd even add a bit of visual interest to the top of the sweater.

11:43 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Okay, so I'be been thinking about this some more. How would you do the raglan sleeves if you're doing it bottom up? Just knit them separately and set them in?

12:38 AM  
Blogger chris said...

Uh oh, is Mr. A looking to start a smackdown? ;-) I know the cable bands are a big PIA, but I really like them. They're so pretty! That said, you may be right that eliminating them would make the garment look cleaner and sleeker. I like the idea of making it a raglan, too, although I don't have enough sweater experience to really help out in that department. I love how you're thinking about modifying Kepler and reading everyone's advice is good future reference for me next time I tackle a sweater.

2:18 PM  
Blogger jennifer said...

ain't that the truth!

3:04 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I vote for raglan in the round bottom up as well. Nix the arm band, and Eunny's suggestion to turn it around and run it up the sleeve vertically and to the neck sounds lovely.

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home