Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Two-Handed Knitting

I really don't have much to post about. I have been doing some knitting, but I don't have anything at a picture-worthy stage. Yesterday, I worked on the pink and brown sweater while watching Birth on DVD (while John was napping). Birth stars Nicole Kidman, playing a woman whose plans to remarry are put on hold when a 10-year old boy claims to be the reincarnation of her dead husband. There were one or two scenes that, especially as the mother of little boys, made me really uncomfortable. It was just a weird movie in general. Not recommended.

I'm also working on another fair isle hat. I have tried to knit with one color in each hand, but I can't seem to get the hang of it. Anyone know of a good web tutorial on this? I should check the Knitty index. Any and all tips on learning how to do this are appreciated!

I am also battling an incipient case of startitis. I really, really, really want to cast on for a Scarf Style project, or some socks, or both. But I am trying very hard not to have four or five things going at once. (Minty, you're a good influence!) Right now, I'm down to three WIPs -- the hat, the pink and brown sweater, and (barely) Kepler. My goal is to finish these first, before starting anything new. We'll see how long this resolve lasts.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. H said...

This site has video instructions for several techniques including two handed/two color knitting.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/

It is under "advanced techniques" and she explains several ways to do two color knitting in the video so you have to watch for a few minutes before she gets to the two handed technique.

4:31 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Oh, man, I'm really wanting to start some socks, too (esp. with the arrival of my clear clogs), but I am being good and forging on with Christmas gifts. Everytime I think I'm getting sidetracked I look up how many days until Christmas and I get back to the grindstone! :) *Good luck!* Why, oh why can't I knit in my sleep????
(Thanks for the review of the movie, too. I've been wanting to see it, but with a little boy of my own, I may just pass.)

4:37 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

hey, lady,

unrelated question to your post (sorry!), but how did you make your buttons for affiknitty and the hatalong? I've got one in mind, but I don't have photoshop and I tried putting it together in Word, but didn't know how to then save it as a jpg or gif. Ack! help!

1:30 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Argh, it's so hard not to start new things, isn't it? I'm trying my best to finish my current WIPs, but temptation calls. However, when the yarn for Pea's hat comes, I'm starting that right away. :) I'm going for the hat trick!!!

6:40 AM  
Blogger Mintyfresh said...

Don't only go by my example! I'm so irritated with myself right now--I'm desperate to start something new already!! :)

9:08 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Yeah, what Tam said. Anytime I have a question, I usually go to knittinghelp.com. it seems video is worth a thousand pictures. Just don't try to watch the provisional cast on video.

Startitis? Well, at least it gives you some variety, right? I keep getting bored because I'm so monogamous to my christmas knitting lately just hoping to finish something to be able to give it away thinking I'll just buy something if I can't finish the other projects in time...

12:01 PM  
Blogger Glaistig said...

I used the 1st SnB book and found it helpful. I think I'll check out the video links posted here though.

Startitis is in the air! Maybe if you finish one of your 3 WIPs you can "reward" yourself with a new project without guilt, hee hee. I started the High Society cardigan last night and feel a little guilty. . . . What are you thinking about in Scarf Style?

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home