Monday, November 28, 2005

A Woman, A Plan, A Raglan

...Nalgara ... nope. No way I can make that a palindrome. So, I have a completed, lightly blocked cable band and a sleeve and a bit (three-quarters length). But, more importantly, I have a plan.

Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitting Without Tears provided the key to converting Emily's pattern to a raglan. I have basically redesigned the entire sweater, keeping only the cable band from the original. The sizing wasn't really right for me, either. And after knitting The Cable Band That Ate Cleveland, I want the sweater to fit properly.

So, what I shall do is to finish the other sleeve, pick up the appropriate number of stitches around the cable band, and knit the body up to the armholes. Then, I will join the body and sleeves on one needle, leaving some stitches on the inner sleeves and sides of the body (these stitches will be grafted later). Finally, I'll knit up to the neck, concentrating the decreases at the front and back shoulders. I decided on plain hemmed sleeves, but I'm thinking of adding a Little Something at the decrease lines.

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday. Ours was lovely, and we had fun with the Parents at the Anna Nalick/Rob Thomas concert. G and I noticed as we were leaving that there seemed to be an abundance of minivans in the parking lot, and my mom and I had also noted at intermission that there seemed to be few people there under thirty. Anyway, Mr. Thomas put on quite a show for the Soccer Moms!

9 Comments:

Blogger kim said...

I just love your Kepler...hey...since you're changing it...it's now the KepLaura.
Your post title reminds me of a cookbook I got for my younger brother a few years ago...."A Man, A Plan, and a Can". Came with its own can opener.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I'm so impressed with all the sweater mods you are doing. Can't wait to see more progress picks, and of course, the FO!!!!

2:31 PM  
Blogger Jillio said...

wow, i salute you for your resourcefulness on the sweater mods! you go girl! and i *heart& rob thomas.
i've be pre-destined to a future as a soccer mom since i was in high school; a lot of my friends told me "i can just see you as a soccer mom." oy. funny, i don't even care much for soccer unless it involves a picture of david beckam. ehhhh...

2:50 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

very impressed with your knitting skillz! me, on the other hand...i get paralyzed if i decide i have to shorten a sleeve!

rob thomas is a hottie. i liked him best when he released the Santana video, because then of course i could fantasize that he was singing to me (because me and Marisol, we are, like, the spitting images of each other.)

2:53 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Ooo.. I want to make my Kepler into a raglan too! I'll be interested in hearing how it all turns out.

3:25 PM  
Blogger Brianne said...

You're such a brave woman! I get the cold sweats just thinking about modifying something that much. You're an inspiration to us all!

4:17 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Your cable bands are beautiful! I'm so impressed with all your modifications. I get nervous just altering the number of cast-on stitches! :-P I'm really looking forward to watching how you revamp the pattern- great for future reference. So glad to hear that you had a wonderful weekend!

6:29 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

I really laughed at Nalgara. You're too funny. :)
Go for those mods, girl! You sound so confident, I can practically see it!

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice cable band! I want to try my luck at cables still. Good luck with all the modifications, I want to see how it turns out :)

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home