Thursday, December 22, 2005

Not Three Blogs, but Two Memes

Because of my crazed holiday knitting (see previous post), Three Blog Thursday is taking another break. Those posts actually take quite a bit of effort, as I usually spend some time finding good posts in the archives, etc. So instead today I will participate in two memes, having decided to tag myself.

Grumperina posted recently and proposed a meme on the topic "who knows about your blog?" I thought that was an interesting issue. For quite a while after I started writing this blog, I didn't want to tell anyone I knew about it. Mostly I didn't want to see the eye-rolling. As I became more involved in it and confident about it, I started to tell people. Now pretty much everyone in my family knows about it, but of the really important people in my life, only two of them actually read it -- Greg and my best friend Kara. I suppose it is possible that my sisters or parents are lurking, but I really doubt it.

I started writing Affiknitty partially to keep track of my projects, but I really hoped I would eventually have readers and commenters. That's because of the aforementioned Really Important People, Kara is the only one who knits and she hasn't risen (fallen?) to Obsessed Knitter Status. I could basically talk about knitting all day, but no one around my house can reciprocate! When I do start talking about the merits of different decreases, etc., most people's eyes start to glaze over. But you all understand and can join in the conversation. That is so much fun for me. Also, because they don't share my obsession, I'm really touched that G and Kara read this. It shows that they care about what I am interested in, or are at least prepared to make an effort! Mwaah, you two!

And then for the Seven Song Meme, which I saw on Jennifer's blog. Being the music addict that I am, it's hard for me to narrow it down to seven songs. These seven aren't necessarily the ones that I am listening to the most right now, but rather just seven pieces of music that, for me, always make me happy.

1. "The Killing Moon" by Echo & the Bunnymen. Don't be thrown by the goofy name of this band. They are pure genius. Ocean Rain (from which this song comes) is one of the great rock albums ever recorded.
2. "Can I Get a Witness" by Marvin Gaye. Marvin churches it up, resulting in a great R&B hit with a gospel groove.
3. "West End Blues" by Louis Armstrong. In the Ken Burns' Jazz series, it was described as three of the most perfect minutes of music ever recorded. Listen and you will agree. It will make you proud to be a human.
4. "Blue Monday" by New Order. Now that, my friends, is dance music.
5. "Claire de Lune" by Claude Debussy. So beautiful it makes me want to cry.
6. "Avalon", as recorded by Harry Connick, Jr. Blistering jazz piano. Cool.
7. "Debaser" by The Pixies. Firmly places Black Francis among the Pantheon of Rock Gods.

Can I do another seven? Here are seven that I am really into right this minute, but who knows for how long I will be.
1. "Mr. Brightside" -- The Killers
2. "Feel Good, Inc." -- Gorillaz
3. "Somewhere Only We Know" -- Keane
4. "Float On" -- Modest Mouse
5. "Fix You" -- Coldplay
6. "Fake" -- The Frames
7. "Sour Times" -- Portishead

9 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

I love Blue Monday and Killing Moon! Actually, I like most of the songs on your list. Rock on!

2:08 PM  
Blogger chris said...

I really enjoyed this post, Laura! I had a lot of the same reservations as you, so not many of my "real life" friends know that I blog. And of the friends and family that I've told, only the DH and my baby sis actually read. It's so sweet that Greg and Kara read your blog! When SO's will read the knitty gritty details of seaming and cast-on, that's true dedication and love. ;-) And how much do I love you for listing Claire de Lune?! It was one of the last songs I learned in piano, and one of my all-time faves, too. Truly, one of the most beautiful pieces ever written. Love Marvin Gaye and Harry Connick, Jr., too!! Take care! :-)

5:59 PM  
Blogger knittinmom said...

You've got lotsa love out here in knit-blogger land! I didn't think anyone besides my family was going to read my blog, so it started out pretty heavy on the kid content and has kind of changed over to knitting content since a few knitters have wandered by... Nice that your hubby reads, though! Score him points for that!

I am kinda obsessed with The Killers right now, so yay for Mr. Brightside on your list.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

New Order!!! aaaahhhh! Echo and the Bunnymen!!!! aaahhhhh! We so would have been friends in high school!

11:55 PM  
Blogger cmeknit said...

Very nice! The word about my blog has spread quickly amoung family...and I think my dad practically hands out cards!
Happy Holidays!

2:23 PM  
Blogger jennifer said...

hey - you did the memes! how cool!
i love the killing moon (takes me way back) and claire de lune make me cry, because when i was a child, my mom would play that *every night* on the piano when we went to bed. i would love to learn it to play for the duo, but i can only make it through the first page - it's soooooooooo challenging.
after the holidays let's do our sit & knit at eton!

3:27 PM  
Blogger Glaistig said...

Nice memes! West End Blues is one of my favorites also & Echo and the Bunnymen brings back memories of the 80s. Portishead is the very ne plus ultra of cool, in my humble opinion.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Alda said...

Thanks so much for the b'day wishes, Laura! Happy holidays to you and yours... :)

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blog on, my friend, blog on.

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home