Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Stop the Insanity!

Because we all know that I am (1) susceptible to knitblogger peer pressure and (2) quite possibly certifiably insane, I decided on MONDAY to do a little Christmas gift knitting. Yep, she's lost it, folks.

But I do have one gift finished! Yay! Here are all the details:
Pattern: Snowy Triangle Scarf from Handknit Holidays
Designer: Iris Schreier
Yarn: Trendsetter Dune, color # 108 (41% mohair, 12% viscose, 6% metal, 30% acrylic, 11% processed cheese food -- just kidding, that last 11% is nylon). I used about 2.5 balls, or about 225 yds.
Needles: Size 11 Addi Turbos
Modifications: I followed the pattern, except that I knit five center triangles rather than eight. My scarf ended up being 8.5 inches wide and 60 inches long -- significantly bigger than the original, which is 4 by 48 inches. That's fine with me -- I wanted a longer and wider scarf.
Other thoughts: This usually isn't my kind of yarn, being mohair and sparkly. But it was perfect for this pattern and the scarf turned out to be very pretty. It was fairly expensive, putting my ghetto knitter status in serious peril. If you were thinking of using this yarn for a more complicated project, you should know that between the mohair and metal content, frogging it would be like unravelling a Brillo pad, but not as much fun. The pattern is cleverly constructed, is a quick knit, and lots of fun. I was afraid it would involve picking up stitches, but it's made in one piece. Now I want to check out Schreier's book. Anyone have an opinion on it?

I purchased the yarn at one of my LYS's -- the one I call (to myself) "Casa Del Eyelash," because it often seems that's all they have. I have received mediocre to poor service there, and generally only frequent the shop in "emergencies." But yesterday one of the owners was so super sweet to Sam while I was looking for what I needed that I actually got a little misty. So here's a little shout out to The Knitting Room in Woodmere, Ohio.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Casa de la Eyelash... Heehee!

4:34 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Your scarf is just beautiful, Laura! The colorway is gorgeous! Man, you whipped that one out. That is one lucky recipient...I hope she realizes that she officially put you on probee status with the ghetto knitters. You know, I've seen your stash and now I'm not sure that you ever truly qualified in the first place, lol! Okay, the Wool-Ease is 'hood material, but the sheer quantity (40+ balls?!) puts you in a precarious probee position again. ;-) BTW, I cracked up at your Velveeta comment on the yarn content.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Pretty scarf! I did the same last minute hey-I-need-to-do-some- Christmas-knitting thing on Monday too. Luckily I'm cranking out easy stocking caps for dad, brother and husband that go pretty quickly.

7:06 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

so jealous. you finished it in ONE DAY! Looks beautiful and who roped you into Christmas knitting?

9:58 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

That looks so much like the scarf I just posted - except mine isn't a triangle. How funny - I blogged a ghetto referance about it too! Great minds . . .

10:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roger and I just bought some gorgeous yarn for his sister. She lives on a little Spanish island that has only 1 yarn shop, so she needs regular infusions from the States. And I just want to say, that the woman at the shop was so nice, that I immediately thought, I have to bring Laura here.

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home