Thursday, December 01, 2005

Three Blogs, International Edition

Enough of the frivolity! As promised last week, here are three blogs, not of U.S. extraction. All three are written in English.

From Finland, Mustaa villaa (Black wool). Terhi's latest post is titled "I think I died and went to yarn heaven." Well, when I found her blog, I thought, I think I died and went to knitblog heaven. So clean and beautiful. Terhi may be in a distinct minority -- knitters who like to do sleeves. She may have the cutest kid ever (well, except for my little guys) and she makes jokes about hygiene products. Plus lots of FO's for you Rowan fans. What more could you want? Well, you can also read her blog in Finnish, as it's bilingual.

From the Netherlands, Saartje Knits. First, you gotta love the Marimekko-type background. So cheerful and cute! Second, the photography is to die for. And if you like stranded color knitting, then Saartje is your kind of knitter. Here's a pair of gloves that she forgot about. If I had knit these, I would have them on my person at all times, in order to show them off. And this, my friends, is a Fair Isle Hat. You can't go wrong with another Elizabeth Zimmermann disciple.

From Portugal, Knitting through life. The big attraction here for me is that the blog is written in Portuguese and English. I can check my understanding against the translation, and as I didn't knit in high school, it's kind of fun to learn knitting words in Portuguese. But for others, one really cool thing is how detailed her posts are about her creative process. You can also read about her attempts to create her own ballwinder. And I am looking forward to seeing her Jaywalkers.

Enjoy everyone!

5 Comments:

Blogger knit_tgz said...

Oh! I'm flattered :) I have been reading your blog, and now there are 2 more european (yay!) knitblogs in my list!

I'm looking forward to see my Jaywalkers as well... :)

Take care,

TGZ

5:49 PM  
Blogger knit_tgz said...

Oh, and a warning... What I write in Portuguese and what I write in English is not always exactly the same.

Sometimes I think in Portuguese and it's hard to explain in English. Other times I think in English and have to translate it (retroversion) to my own language (yes, that's what happens when you relearn to knit using the Internet, when you're a graduate student in an engineering university and you are writing your thesis in English...)

5:55 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Ooh, more great blogs to check out! I love your Three Blog Thursday! :-)

8:15 PM  
Blogger Terhi said...

Oh... thank you Laura! You make my blog sound so interesting. :-)

6:37 AM  
Blogger Glaistig said...

Laura, I truly believe you are the Margaret Mead of the knitting blog world. I sit here drooling at the Rowan delectables on Terhi's blog. Thanks for fostering such intercultural fun!

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home