Saturday, January 07, 2006

Ich Liebe Dich Nicht, Du Liebst Mich Nicht



Dear American Needle Manufacturer:

As a newly obsessed sock knitter, I truly appreciate that you make circular needles in a 2.25 mm size. That tiny quarter of a millimeter can be crucial in achieving the proper gauge for, say, that sock pattern sensation that is sweeping the Internet and which you are just dying to complete. However, may I make a few suggestions?

1. It would be nice if the tips of the needles were not so sharp that they could puncture truck tires.

2. It would be lovely if the surface of the needle were just a tiny bit slicker, so that the knitter does not develop hamhock forearms from the effort of moving the stitches along the needles.

3. I may be mistaken, but I think the idea is that the stitches must be able to move across the join of the needle and cable, thereby making it possible for the knitter to actually work the stitches. Just a thought.

Unfortunately, these tiny issues have led me to abandon your product for that of your German competitor, even if my gauge is affected slightly. If I may say so, knitting with their needles is like buttah.

Auf Wiedersehen und gutes riddance,
Laura

13 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Heheh! I absolutely agree.

12:18 PM  
Blogger MiniLaura said...

gutes riddance LOL!!

12:22 PM  
Blogger Mrs. H said...

A big jawoll from this knitter's house. I was a slow convert to addis but I'm sold now. I only have a couple (being the ghetto knitter that I am) but I'm working on my collection. My only complaint is that when you do cables or a lot of SSKs or K2tog's I miss the sharper points. That's what my Japanese bamboo needles are for. Ah so.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Love the addis; just bought some more today. So smoooooth.

4:14 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Ich lache meinen Esel weg.

(I used Google to translate "I'm laughing my ass off" to German. However, if you use Google to translate it back to English, you don't quite get the same thing. LOL)

4:41 PM  
Blogger Lynda said...

I do love my Addi turbos, but find they're not sharp enough... I'm pretty happy with my Boye Needlemaster, I'll have to say... give me cheap aluminum... hm, what does that say about me?

5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heee! Addis are just the teensiest bit addictive, I think.

5:53 PM  
Blogger knittinmom said...

Amen, sistah! Love those Addis!

9:45 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

Amen sister!

10:13 PM  
Blogger Brianne said...

Laura, you're so demanding! I can't believe you. That you would actually expect to be able to move the yarn across the joins...... man. High maintenance!!!

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post, Laura! I laughed out loud! :)

11:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely agreeabout the Addi's.

As an American, I wish Addi's would make the 2.25mm needles because there is nothing else that beats the Addi's .

11:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have 2.25 mm Addi Turbos. They were marked as a US 1 and I didn't notice the difference from my other US 1 needles until I got them home. Of course, it is nice to have options!

7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home