Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Jaywalking



Gather 'round, knitters, and hear the Sad Tale of the Regia Jaywalkers. I was following Natalia's toe up directions, and I swear I had gauge. I swear it! (Well, stitch gauge anyway.) She has these amazingly clever instructions for knitting a traditional heel, with a flap and gussets, from the toe up. So I'm following her directions, and I had a feeling something was wrong. But I, being a Silly Knitter, ignored that feeling. I did the gussets and turned the heel and was knitting the flap -- and tried it on and realized I started the whole process about one inch too late. I was having a lot of trouble picking up the stitches before the gussets to frog partially, so in a fit of pique, I unravelled nearly the whole thing. Waah, waah, waah. And they were looking so good.

You have to get right back on the horse, though, so I picked up these Sock Landscape Jaywalkers that I started right before joining Cara's KAL. I had set them aside, thinking that I didn't have enough yarn. But having knit other socks recently, I realized I would be okay. It's darn hard to take a good picture of a sock in process, but there it is. I'm about an inch or so from working the toe. Yay! Also in progress is the second Rib and Cable sock in Jessie's beautiful handpainted sock yarn.

2006 looks to be the Year of the Sock here at Affiknitty. Also, perhaps, the Year of the Knitalong. As you can see from the sidebar, I simply cannot stop joining knitalongs. If the people organizing them (read, you all) weren't so stinking nice, maybe I could resist! Anyway, check out Chrissy's blog for more details on the Sock-a-Month Knitalong. It looks like it will be Big Fun!

Addendum: Duh! Should have mentioned the colorway! It's Spring Prairie.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks so pretty! If I suddenly become obsessed with socks, we will all know who is to blame, missy.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

These Jaywalkers are looking very good! What colorway of the sock memories?

6:31 PM  
Blogger chris said...

I was wondering the same thing- what colorway of Sock Landscape are you using? Your Jaywalker looks fantastic in those colors. Loving the rich, deep hues! I was glued and misty-eyed during the sad tale of the Regia Jaywalkers, but all's well that ends well....and your Sock Landscape walkers are looking mighty fine! ;-) Can't wait to see your completed Rib and Cable socks, too. Such beautiful handpainted goodness! And I'm right there with you, joining KALs left and right like they're going out of style. Darn all these stinking nice good people! :-)

7:43 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

I love, love, love the Rib & Cable sock pattern and even have yarn at the ready. It's the next on my list (I cast on Falling Leaves today!).
Glad to hear you got right back on the sock horse!

8:18 PM  
Blogger knittinmom said...

Yay for socks! You're going to get your "J" very soon - I just know it! (Hey, is J for January and Jaywalkers!)

9:01 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Nice Jaywalkers! I have a couple of skeins of Spring Prairie around here somewhere and the picture of your socks makes me want to find them and get started on some Jaywalkers of my own.

9:51 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I seem to have caught the KAL disease too. Maybe it's the next bird flu.

11:10 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

Well, I haven't caught the KAL disease, but I've gotten some kind of disease...I've been a complete knitting spazz lately! If it makes you feel any better...I decided to cast on for the Picovoli and couldn't get past a few rows before I'd already lost count and made a mistake, so I frogged it. Hello?! Could a pattern be any simpler? I also dropped stitches off this sock I've had on the needles forever, and it's Cascade Fixation, and DAMN, but those stitches are hard to pick up again. Waah, waah, waah.

OK, I'm done now. Maybe I'll go shopping for that BL yarn...

2:14 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love the way those look in the sock landscapes...I have been planning on trying the Jaywalker pattern, and I think I know what yarn to try....thanks for the inspiration!

9:15 AM  
Blogger Lynda said...

I was just going to ask the colorway, too -but I see you've added it! Thanks, need to order THAT now, too!

Very, very pretty, and the Regia's, they'll be reborn, someday... (yarn karma?)

10:04 AM  
Blogger Sonya said...

I think that partial Jaywalker looks great. Sorry about the Regia version. Some things are just not meant to be. I think I'm catching the KAL bug too. If only I didn't have that darn job. I need more knitting time!

4:16 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Ugh, don't you hate when you ignore that gut feeling?

This Jaywalker is looking great!

6:54 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

i'm lovin' the sock craze too:) like that colorway...goes perfect with the jaywalkers!

3:31 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

oh, so sorry to hear of the trip to the frog pond. I hate it when that happens. Now you have me paranoid that the toe up Jaywalkers just aren't going to work for DF. Keeping fingers crossed anyway...

Glad to hear though that you're getting right back on the horse with the Regia 4 color. I LOVE that colorway and it works so well with the Jaywalker pattern...

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home