Sunday, January 22, 2006

Laura Takes on Lace

As I mentioned yesterday, I have a project that I want to finish before I start G's fair isle vest. It's my first real lace project -- Backyard Leaves. Olga and I are both doing it, a kind of mini-KAL. She's an amazing lace knitter (scroll down), so I have a good teacher! I've done two repeats and it is a really fun, but certainly not quick knitting, pattern. I'm making it in Katia Diana, which is primarily acrylic and whatnot, but also 13% angora. It is really lovely and soft. But the scarf is awfully lumpy right now, and I am not sure if the lumps will block out. Will a mostly synthetic fiber block at all? I may start it again in another yarn. I am sure that I have other suitable things in my stash. Candidates include Baby Cashmerino, Cascade 220, or, for a spring scarf, Rowan Summer Tweed. What do you all think?

Have you seen? Anna has three lovely new sock patterns for sale on her site. I couldn't resist, and bought the set. Resistance against casting on for Badcaul is likely to be similarly weak.

Posting to Affiknitty and blog reading will go on a bit of a hiatus early this week. My best friend Kara is coming for a visit. She'll be staying until Wednesday. As she told her husband, we'll be "practicing fiber arts and drinking tea." Yay!

10 Comments:

Blogger msubulldog said...

So, what color is Backyard Leaves going to be? I hope you don't have to rip it--could you maybe do one repeat of the lace in a swatch and try to block it first? It's a pretty design--I like the pointy ends. :)
And I checked out those socks patterns. I like them all! I also love the ruffle she gave to the top of her Jaywalkers.

1:21 AM  
Blogger chris said...

I love that Backyard Leaves pattern so much! It's so pretty and I always ooh and aah over it on everyone's blogs. Can't wait to see yours and Olga's! She really did such a kick-butt job on that flared lace smoke ring- so beautiful! And I have to tell you, you're turning into quite the evil temptress, flashing beautiful handpainted sock yarn links and now, gorgeous sock patterns. ;-) I will not click the link...I will not click the link...

I'm so happy for you that your best friend is coming to visit!! Nothing like girlfriends, knitting and tea. Nothing in the world. :-) Have a wonderful time with Kara!! Take care, Laura! :-)

1:37 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I don't think a mostly acrylic yarn will hold a blocking at all. Any of the others you mentioned would though.

1:38 AM  
Blogger Sonya said...

That is such a pretty pattern; can't wait to see it! Thanks for passing on the link to those socks. I like all three.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Those are some beautiful socks. I may have to go over there and order the set too.

I think you may be fine on the lace knitting. Lace doesn't look any good until it's blocked and it is possible to do lace in acrylic.

11:11 AM  
Blogger quantumtea said...

Did my first lace last year, and it looked so much better after blocking! No idea about the acrylic, I used Silky Wool and it looked good at the end. Tempting sock patterns, just as I start on the sock marathon...

11:14 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Photos? Photos? Backyard leaves is on my list. Somewhere between now and a September birthday. Can't wait to see yours.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

Oh, I'm going to miss you! But you're going to have such a great time with Kara...knitting and tea and a good friend. Such decadence!

2:48 PM  
Blogger knittinmom said...

Have a great time w/ your friend! And I think that Backyard Leaves would look great in the Baby Cashmerino. Not sure about the yarn you're using...

5:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think just about anything looks good in Baby Cashmerino, but I'd hate for you to frog something unnecessarily. I second the "Make a swatch and test-block" notion.

Have fun with your friend -- what a lovely time you'll have!

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home