Sunday, January 29, 2006

Movin' On!

Whew! The Jaywalkers are done!

Pattern: Jaywalker Socks by Grumperina

Yarn: Knit Picks Sock Landscape in Spring Prairie, 2 skeins with a little left over

Needles: 2.5 mm Inox 40 inch circular

Modifications: Short row heels and toes, made cuff and leg shorter than the pattern.

The second sock turned out much better than the first. I started the first one and then set it aside for awhile. When I picked it back up, I used a slightly larger needle, and so the foot is a little loose. I could frog it, and reknit it. But sometimes you just have to move on.

As for the pattern, in spite of my bad luck with it, I will definitely knit it again. The second sock really is nice -- the fit is very good. The pattern is exceptional with yarns that stripe, but I can see it making a very handsome pair of solid socks too. For now, though, I'm going to try some other patterns that have been tempting me. So I'll be moving the Jaywalker button off the sidebar for the time being.

The yarn I have slightly mixed feelings about. It's very soft and comfortable and the colors are vivid. However, there are better yarns for Jaywalkers -- as you can see above, there's some wicked pooling going on. The other downside to Sock Landscape is, it's already getting fuzzy, and I haven't even worn them yet. I'll be curious to see how they hold up. I'll undoubtedly use it again, though, because you can't beat the price.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments about my WIPs. Several people mentioned that Silk Garden benefits from a soak, so when I finish Edgar, I'll let you know how that goes! Ok, now I'm off to plan my next sock project!

20 Comments:

Blogger Courtney said...

Nice Jaywalkers! I've found the pooling to be an issue with Sock Garden as well. The pooling looks better with some colors than with others. In this case, I think it works. In any case, you really can't beat the price of the KnitPicks yarn.

10:27 AM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Yay for finishing! They look great and I know you must be glad to get them done. :)

10:58 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

They are gorgeous! I actually don't mind pooling of yarn colors. I think it gives a sock character.

Seeing yours complete is giving me the oomph I start working on mine again.

11:05 AM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

Beautfiful socks! Your scarves are looking great, too! Silk Garden is one of my favorites and the way the colors change is way cool.

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think they look great - I love those colors! I just bought my first skeins of the sock landscape - glad to know they might fuzz up on me.

I'm finishing my 2nd pair of Jaywalkers and I think they'll also be my last - I had a really hard time getting them to fit me.

11:19 AM  
Blogger knittinmom said...

Yee-haw! I've got incredible pooling w/ my Sock Garden as well, but I figure it goes w/ the territory w/ handpainted yarn. I don't mind it. And I think your J's look awesome! Good job, good job.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

They look great! I just finished my first one, and I must go do the second now!

12:31 PM  
Blogger shizzknits said...

Very nice Jaywalkers! I've used some of the other KP sock yarns and yes, they do pill rather easily. But I guess that's the price you pay for 100% merino socks. I have some Sock Garden (Pansy) socks and while they are quite pill-y, they still look pretty!

1:49 PM  
Blogger chris said...

YAY!!! Your Jaywalkers are BEAUTIFUL, Laura! The fit looks wonderful and the colors are beautiful. I think the pooling looks really neat...kinda gives it a cool Monet feel. I know what you mean about the fuzziness, though. Those footies I made in Sock Garden practically look felted on the bottom and they're not even a month old! :-P I was going to post about that, too, to see if others had the same problem. Then again, I've been wearing them a LOT, so I'm sure the wear and tear factors in. AWESOME, awesome job on the Jaywalkers and I salute your tenacity! ;-) Take care! :-)

2:08 PM  
Blogger Terhi said...

Your Jaywalkers turned out to be really pretty, Laura! Well done! I'm definately going to try this pattern too.

2:16 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Your socks look great! Good job on them. I haven't attempted this pattern yet, but it scares me...I've heard a lot about people having a hard time with the gauge and needles, with their socks being too tight and can't get it over their heel...I do want to try this pattern at some point though because it's pretty.

3:04 PM  
Blogger Lynda said...

Excellent Jaywalkers-- love the colors in that yarn!

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pooling or not, they're beautiful! Good work!

10:35 PM  
Blogger jennie said...

They look lovely! Such beautiful colors! I'm experiencing the fuzziness with my jaywalkers also -- just from carrying them around in my bag to knit in my spare time. I'm embracing the fuzziness, but hopefully it won't get much worse. I'll try a good soak with this last pair and see what happens

12:14 AM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

i love'em! they look really good :) i really like the knitpicks....

8:44 AM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Your Jaywalkers turned out beautifully! Love those colors together and I think the pooling looks kinda cool.

I know what you mean about just moving on sometimes. The first sweater I knit was miles of stockinette on #4 needles (I was too new to know better). My finishing skills were unperfected and the sweater remains unfinished. I took it into my LYS to get her advice on re-doing the finishing. She gently suggested that I let not invest any more time in it. So I just moved on. ;o)

10:50 AM  
Blogger Glaistig said...

The color of your socks is so unique. Congrats on finishing! Hope your vertigo has cleared up :)

7:08 PM  
Blogger Carola said...

Very nice Jaywalkers! I like the pooling, this way you get both, the fantastic striping effect and how it works well with solids, in ONE sock (actually two..) I was shocked about the fuzziness of my Knitpicks yarn first, too. I think the Knitpicks yarns have too much 'fuzz' in them (like other yarns bleed). I gave my socks a trim with a lint remover and soaked them in ..hmmm.. lavender soap and now they are just fine.

8:15 AM  
Blogger amandazen said...

What a great pair of Jaywalkers! Excellent Job!!

Amanda

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Jaywalkers are very cute! I'm fond of the striping/pooling ;). Would you like them to appear in the gallery?

12:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home