Thursday, January 19, 2006

New Mantra -- Enjoy the Process

I've been having trouble with Jaywalkers. Well, I already mentioned that the blue Regia Jaywalkers are now a ball of yarn. I had to frog that beautiful Turkish cast-on toe. Then, I finished that first Sock Landscape Jaywalker, and the fit is a little loose. Trying it on again, maybe it's not so bad. But it's not perfect, and for some reason lately, I've been feeling bad about not producing perfection. Sure, I sounded happy enough about my non-matching Rib & Cable toes...but you'll notice that I hid the fact that they are different in the picture. Sigh.

I've also been sorely tempted to join Yarn Harlot's Knitting Olympics. I even have a project in mind, with the yarn ordered and on the way. The chances of my actually finishing even a non-challenging project in sixteen days are pretty slim, let alone my first big fair isle project ever. Way to go, Laura ... just set yourself up for failure.

Then, I read Margene's post on "the process." Wow -- just what I needed to hear. She writes about how we should enjoy the process of knitting, even the mistakes and the frogging, and be grateful that we have beautiful yarn to knit and the time in which to knit it. In the spirit of Eddie the Eagle and the Jamaican bobsled team -- athletes who enjoy the process -- Margene has started a low-stress alternative to the Knitting Olympics. Start on February 10. Or pull out a WIP. Finish by February 26. Or not. But enjoy the knitting. Sign me up for that!

Thanks everyone for the nice comments on the Rib and Cable socks. I am stupidly happy with them, even though, they too felt a little loose after wearing them. And I have been super excited about finding new cool blogs through my comments lately. (New commenters seem to be coinciding with Eunny putting my link on her sidebar!) Thanks for coming by, and saying hello. It makes my day!

11 Comments:

Blogger Lynda said...

I do love those socks - I've got some blue sock yarn just the color of yours, and a bookmarked that pattern last night - we might have mathching socks someday!

2:37 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

I love Margene's idea! That's sort of how I viewed the Knitting Olympics anyway. I'm not going to hate myself if I don't get it done--but I need the kick in the pants, so I might as well give it a shot. :) (I'll be a helluva lot further along on Kepler than if I didn't do it, that's for sure!)

I'm all for fun! Enjoying the process is my mantra for the new year! (aka Fingerless Gloves post)

2:58 PM  
Blogger Mintyfresh said...

I love the process! I'm perfectly content with frogging--no project is complete if it hasn't been frogged at least once, usually twice! Not for mistakes all the time either, just changes of mood and opinion. I will have to check out this Process Along.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

That vest is gorgeous - and at least it's DK, right?

I hear what you're saying about process, and really, I want to believe you. I do. I mean, I'm so Type-A in the rest of my life, you'd think I could relax a little with my knitting. It's not like people will die if I make a mistake, unlike the hospital. Sigh.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I'm not too thrilled with my Jaywalkers either. So far they seem a bit loose, but I'm crazily knitting away on them. I figure I'll get some of the foot done, and if they are too big, they can become another sock. Life won't end if I don't have Jaywalkers.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Glaistig said...

Thanks for helping me get my mojo back. I can feel it seeping back through my finger tips.

5:28 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

huh! enjoy the process, that's novel...

I too struggle with perfection, but to be honest, if I really wanted perfection, I'd go out and buy store bought socks, y'know?

and anyway, knitting is really just an excuse to blog about something and have people you've never met stop by and say hello every now and then, right?

7:22 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

I'm telling you, girl, use your Cascade Fixation! I would bet good money that the fit will be perfect.

7:25 PM  
Blogger chris said...

I love the idea of Margene's Process-Along. Much more my speed! I'm more into whole the spectator/ cheering-on aspect, anyway. ;-) I can't wait to see that Fair Isle Vest...it's so beautiful and if anybody can pull it off, it's definitely you, Ms. Keplaura. ;-) Colorwork still scares the crap out of me, even moreso since I sucked so bad at my first intarsia attempt. I'm really looking forward to your pointers and/or advice about fair isle when you knit your vest. And BTW, your rib and cable toes look quite matchy to me. :-) Take care!! :-)

7:35 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Sometimes I get too product oriented. "Is that mistake really worth frogging to fix?" "Must continue forward progress!" Other times I just love the process and don't care if I ever get a project done.

8:12 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I signed up for the Olympics and then instantly regretted the decision. I'm trying to "enjoy the process" and be less driven too.

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home