Saturday, January 28, 2006

Now For Something Different...Pictures!

I realized yesterday that my posts have been photo-free for entirely too long. Entonces, los fotos. First, I have to give a big thank you to Brianne, who sent me this lovely skein of Atacama in springtime greens (my favorite color)! More raw material for the Skeinalong! She was looking for a little girl's tank top pattern, and I steered her in the direction of Wendy's blog. As a completely unnecessary but totally appreciated thank you, she sent yarn. What a gal!

My Jaywalkers are coming along, but not really worth a picture. For some reason, this project is just cursed for me. I'm constantly making mistakes (two pattern rounds in a row, dropped sts, etc.) that I normally don't make. As Chrissy mentioned, it's not a difficult pattern, except for the sizing, and we all know I had those issues too. I'll be glad when these are done.


My Backyard Leaves is coming along sloooowly, because I am anxious to get those Jaywalkers off the needles. But here's a little shot of it, to show you my yarn selection. I decided to start over with Cascade 220, color number 9451. It is a gorgeous shade of bluish-green. It was possibly insane to choose this pattern as my foray into lace, but so far I'm not having problems with it. It's really, really fun to knit.

Because I am a Bad Knitter, I have cast on another project, with yarn I bought while Kara was here. (Never was human nature weaker than in a yarn shop. Or was that a bookstore?) This is Edgar from the fall Knitty, in Noro Silk Garden, color number 87. I've been hearing so much about this yarn from many of you bloggers, so I wanted to try it out. Call me simple, but I am incredibly amused by both self-striping yarns and modular knitting. Combine the two, and I am practically giggly. Although I find the colors fascinating (it's indigo! it's verdigris! it's fuchsia!), I'm not completely smitten with the fiber itself. Do I need to give this a bath to bring out it's loveliest qualities? Thoughts?

11 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Oooh, such pretty pictures!!! I love the way Edgar is coming out - the colors are gorgeous and they look wonderful in that pattern. I haven't knit with Silk Garden, but I'll be interested to hear everyone's advice about the fiber. Oh yeah, and casting on another project doesn't make you a bad knitter - it makes you a multi-talented one!!!

10:20 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

A bath does wonders for the Silk Garden. It makes it drape better.

Great colorway!

10:21 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Love those colors! I'm a bit fascinated by the noro myself. :)
I couldn't help but notice Belle and Sebastian in your "heavy rotation" in the sidebar, and wondered if you'd seen that Continuum Books 33 1/3 series is going to do "If you're feeling sinister" as one of their upcoming books. The Husband is a big fan of B&S.
Have a great knitty weekend!

10:24 AM  
Blogger Lynda said...

Love the colors in that Noro. I haven't knit with the Silk Garden, only the Kureyon, but loved it. And Cascade 220 is one of my all time favorites! Great post, great links, great pics! Thanks

10:49 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I'm one of those who has not knit with Silk Garden yet, so I have no thoughts for you there. It's looking very pretty so far though!

I think that your backyard leaves is the same shade as my Hermione mittens! Isn't it a gorgeous color. I'm loving just working with it.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Silk Garden does soften up with a bath.

I'm with you. Self-striping or handpainted yarns are endlessly fascinating. I stay up late knitting just so I can see what coimes next!

11:13 AM  
Blogger amandazen said...

Your Edgar and Backyard leaves are looking great I love your color choices. I have not used Silk Garden either but the colors are fantastic.


Amanda

7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everything looks fantastic! I was so tempted to buy a bluegreen Cascade 220 the other day for a BYL scarf, too. Kureyon is a ton of fun! Can't say about after blocking - I didn't wash my hat yet (shhh)

8:30 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am a big fan of anything Noro. Washing does soften it up nicely, and the colors are all so amazing.

9:34 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Ooh, that Atacama is GORGEOUS!! Can't wait to see what you've got planned for it. And Yay for springtime greens! (I knew there was a reason I loved ya so much ;-)) Backyard Leaves is looking wonderful- that Cascade is beautiful! I love the jewel-tones. I'm so enamored with Noro, too. The colorway you're working with is unbelievably gorgeous and Edgar is looking fantastic! I'm still trying to think of something extra special to knit with the Silk Garden I have. Loving all the great projects...have a great weekend and take care, Laura! :-)

4:34 AM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

very pretty colors! i love self stripping yarn myself... i am too lazy to weave in a bunch of ends! can't wait to see jaywalkers, i think we have all been plagued with a project that just can't go smoothly... sorry the jaywalkers are giving you trouble!

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home