Thursday, January 26, 2006

On Friends, Presidents, Socks, Sweaters, and Great Music

Well, Kara and I had a wonderful time. We had our now traditional Indian takeout meal, tried some new recipes, went to the movies, and drank a lot of Kara's made-from-scratch chai tea. She brought her quilting and I, of course, knitted away. I worked on my Sock Landscape Jaywalkers -- I'm on the foot of sock #2 and I see the light at the end of the tunnel. Woo-hoo! I should have no problem meeting the KAL deadline.

NPR's Story of the Day podcast recently featured some knitwear that is making a splash in international politics. Hear the story of a president and his favorite sweater here.

I've also been enjoying lots of great new music on my iPod and plugging some of it on my sidebar. Sigur Ros is a band from Iceland that plays the most beautiful, unusual, soaring, gorgeous music. It's really sui generis, but it sort of reminds me of Cocteau Twins, one of my favorite bands from the Eighties. I especially wanted to call your attention to the new video by Sigur Ros, for a song called "Hoppipola." You can see the video here. If you are not smiling -- possibly through tears -- while you are watching this, then I fear you have no soul.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

I'm going to check that music out! I've been looking for some good music to knit to.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

Pretty cool, lady! I am actually known among my friends to have no soul (I rarely ever cry at the movies), so my smiling at this video might mean that there's a chance for me yet.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

love the video! it kept stopping on me so i didn't get to see the end yet! but from what i saw it made me smile :)watch out for that gang in your neighborhood!

9:53 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I heard that, too. Wasn't it strange that it was acrylic? I know it was "common," but wouldn't alpaca be more indigenous?

10:07 PM  
Blogger chris said...

So glad to hear that you had such a great time with Kara! Girlfriends are the best!! :-) And I'm so envious of your Indian takeout and made-from-scratch chai! I'm a sworn coffee addict, but whenever I go to Borders or other book stores, I always order a vanilla chai. I know, blasphemy, huh? ;-) Homemade chai must've been so delicious!! And yay for your Jaywalkers! I'm glad you showed them who's boss. Can't wait to see them! I'm having trouble getting the video to play, so I'll have to wait to my tech support (aka the DH, lol) comes home and fixes it before I know if I have a soul or not. (Is it wrong to be a little nervous here?) ;-) Of course, that's assuming that he hasn't outsourced. ;-) Take care, Laura! :-)

11:31 PM  
Blogger kim said...

That is a really cool song...it would be nice rainy-day afternoon music. And I want to be that feisty when I get old.

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home