Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Quirks and Treats, and a Hero

Jennifer and Chris tagged me for the "five quirks" meme, so here goes. It's harder to think of five quirky things than you might expect. So, if I've revealed these before, sorry! If you would like to play along, consider yourself tagged.

1. I must sleep under the covers, no matter how hot it is.

2. I hate being in crowds, and it makes me really panicky. Really, I'm kind of claustrophobic in general, because what I hate is that closed-in feeling. Which makes Quirk #1 kind of surprising, I guess.

3. I don't like air conditioning, and will avoid turning it on for as long as possible.

4. These creep me out: scaly things and slimy things. Also, things that have round or roundish, raised bumpy textures. Like some lichens, barnacles, or the inside of a bell pepper. Needless to say, shibori knitting is not for me.

5. When I was little, I would not wear socks around the house for love or money. Amazing, huh, considering my current obsession with socks.


Many of you worthy souls have made resolutions of the Yarn Diet or No Stash Enhancement varieties. I didn't even bother, because I simply cannot resist. I did a little Etsy browsing the other night, and decided I wanted to try some of these sock yarns that I have been hearing so much about. My orders arrived today! Yippee! It is a disgustingly gloomy day, but I am going to give you photos anyway. Affiknitty, meeting all your yarn p*rn needs since 2005.


Here is some yummy Neapolitan worsted from Dani's Sunshine Yarns. I really wanted the sock yarn in this colorway, but alas, I will have to wait. Dani sent the cutest matching bead stitch markers, but they are too small to take a proper picture. There was only one skein of 220 yards, and I snatched it up. Perfect for the What's Your Skein KAL. I'm going to have to think of something really special for this. Ideas are welcome.


And, that's right, I got me some Vesper sock yarn from Julia's Etsy shop. I've been dropping in at kpixie from time to time looking for it, with no luck. When I saw some on her Etsy page, I knew I ought to jump on it. Let me tell you, knittas, this may look good here, but it's even more pinkalicious in person.

Maybe I'll be different. Instead of vowing not to buy yarn in 2006, I vow to try as many cool sock yarns as I can, and let you all know what I think. Let's hope Mr. A isn't reading this.

Coming soon: the first FOs of 2006, and more Jaywalker woes.

Non-knitting content: It's a day late, but in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, I wanted to post this link to Amy Goodman's Democracy Now show from yesterday. She played extended segments of a speech Dr. King gave on his opposition to the Vietnam War, as well as the last speech he gave, on April 3, 1968. The latter is particularly poignant, given that he was assassinated the next day. The former has much to offer us today, in a time of war.

9 Comments:

Blogger msubulldog said...

Whew, sockalicious! I have been *ahem* "collecting" sock yarn for quite a while because it's so darn easy! I mean, I can't always plunk down the change for 10+ balls of yarn for a sweater, but you always know how much yarn you need for a pair of socks! (It makes sock yarn that much more dangerous.) *grin* Knit on! Can't wait to see what these become. Boy, this really is the year of the socks, huh? You're contagious!

4:27 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Oh, and that shibori knitting? Crazy stuff!!!

4:30 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Yay! Thanks for playing along with the meme and I SO hear you about creepy bumpy things. TB tests included, man. I laughed out loud at your shibori knitting comment, too. ;-) And I think you have a very healthy attitude toward all these stash enhancement diets. You've got to live a little and girl, you are living the GOOD life!! ;-) Loving, loving the Aquamelon Vesper!! And that Neapolitan looks positively delectable, too. Can't wait to see what you'll knit up with that one. Thank you for the Martin Luther King Jr. links, too- very uplifting and inspirational. Take care, Laura! :-)

5:22 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Can't wait to hear your reviews of these yarns! I've been dying to get my mitts on some Vesper - it's so pretty! Dani (at Sunshine yarns) said she should have some more up today or tomorrow. Just your friendly neighborhood pusher here....

5:26 PM  
Blogger kim said...

That is some awesome sock yarn...good score! Thanks for the link to the shibori knitting...I now can show my husband why I have a growing collection of milk jug caps in one of the kitchen drawers...

6:35 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I'm going to live vicariously through your stash enhancement - I love to see the new yarns in a happy home. I would be more jealous, but I'm in the process of trying to pack my car with all the stuff I need for the next 5 months, and there's a shocking amount of yarn coming along. Shocking.

7:09 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Lovely sock yarns! I actively stay away from Etsy these days.

I have to have the covers too. I think it has to do with needing to feel covered and not exposed.

8:07 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Major score on the sock yarn! I always get totally goose-bumped by MLK's I have a dream speech and that last speech in Memphis. Makes me wonder how things would've been different if not for the assassinations of the 60s.

8:17 PM  
Blogger knitannie said...

Damn I want some of that Vesper sock yarn so bad but it's all sold out again! It's not actually for me (a gift). One day I'll be lucky enough to get some. Ever tried dying yourself?

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home