Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Getting Ready for Project Spectrum

Tomorrow is March 1st, and the highly anticipated beginning of Lolly's Project Spectrum! I'm really excited about this craft-along -- both working on my own projects and also seeing what other people do. I went to the craft store this weekend and got supplies for the Postcard Swap... And, of course, I have red yarn...

My goal for Project Spectrum is to challenge myself to be creative in new ways -- not just knitting. To that end, I've been looking around for inspiration and have found some great podcasts on crafts in general. There's a link to CraftySanity in the sidebar. I have listened to two of Jennifer's episodes and they are great. Like KnitCast, each episode features an interview with a creative person. The ones that I listened to were interviews with Jeffrey Yamaguchi, the author of 52 Projects: Random Acts of Everyday Creativity, and Lady Linoleum of the blog Monster Crochet. Her latest interview is with Deirdre Flint, she of the fantastic songs "Boob Fairy" and "Presidential Succession," which have been featured on Cast On. I cannot wait to hear that one!

Craftypod is another fabulous podcast, by Sister DG. I've only listened to one of these episodes -- it was an interview with Kathy Cano Murillo of Crafty Chica and author of Art de la Soul: Glittery Ideas to Liven Up Your Life. Their discussion was primarily about Dia de los Muertos, so I listened to this about four months too late (or eight months too early!), but I still got a lot out of it.

Whip up is a blog dedicated to all types of crafting, and is also very inspiring. I was psyched to see Cover Your Head! mentioned in a recent post about knitalongs.

So, other than the knitblogs, what inspires you in your crafty endeavors?

9 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Hmmm, inspiration... Well, sometimes I'm inspired by looking at craft/art books using other mediums than I like to do They can make you think "out of the box" so to speak. I also often get inspired by things I see in movies and the like(sad but true). I'm working on designing a piece of beadwork that came to me while watching HBO's Rome. I like what we're doing in KTC right now because I'm being inspired by trying to think of a project that represents the books we are reading.

7:15 PM  
Blogger chris said...

I'm so excited about Project Spectrum, too! I need to get cracking on that postcard. I love all your new scrapbooking supplies! I spy some lovely vellum tags in the stash. Do you scrapbook pics of your duo? I am so horribly behind on my scrapping... my last entry was of Bossy's 2 year birthday celebration. Never mind that he's now double that age and has a little sister named Stinky. ;-) I'm hoping that Project Spectrum will get me back into the scrap swing. For cardmaking and scrapbooking, I like www.scrapjazz.com and also www.creatingkeepsakes.com. Nothing cutting edge about either site, but I love to see what other people do with their supplies. Thanks for the links... I'm off to download CraftSanity- how can I resist hearing more of the Boob Fairy? It's like a personal anthem written just for me. ;-) Take care, Laura! :-)

7:45 PM  
Blogger Ramona said...

The funny thing is-I am not crafty. I can knit(and I think even that was an accident) and that's pretty much it!

8:24 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

I'll be checking out those podcasts. I think Boob Fairy is one of the funniest things I've ever heard. Now whenever I look in the mirror I hear, "The boob fairy became obsessed with me!" I'm more technique-oriented than creative. So I guess my inspiration comes from seeing how techniques are used in different ways. I really love the way someone like Nancy Bush takes vintage patterns and ideas and updates them.

10:34 PM  
Blogger Brianne said...

I'm inspired by a lot of things around me. I loved driving by the ocean when we lived in San Diego and I think that's part of where my love for blue and green stems from. Now that we're in the midwest and I actually experienced fall color I've noticed that my eye is noticing shades of brown and how well it interacts with other colors.

1:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did not sign up for Project Spectrum (Tax Season is not kind to us bookkeepers) but I am looking forward to seeing everyone elses endeavors!

I get inspired mostly by other knitbloggers however, drooling over books at B&N will do it for me, too ;o)

10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such great links -- thank you! In truth, I've been so busy and weighed down by other things that I've not really looked for other sources of inspiration beyond blogs I admire. It's a good thing the internet is such a creative place!

5:28 PM  
Blogger amandazen said...

Thanks for all the links! I am excited too about Project Specturm but so far I have not been to crafty minded lately, but it is only March 2!

Amanda

9:00 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

times like these and i think i really need an iopd! i think i am the only knitter without :) i like the colorful goodies for the postcard;)

11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home