Monday, February 13, 2006

Poetry Monday

I saw this very fun blog project over at What-Ho, Good Egg? ** On Mondays, Nodda is posting poems and every month the theme is changing. This month, it's love and affection. Here's my contribution.
Love Is More Thicker Than Forget
e.e. cummings (1940)
love is more thicker than forget
more thinner than recall
more seldom than a wave is wet
more frequent than to fail
it is most mad and moonly
and less it shall unbe
than all the sea which only
is deeper than the sea
love is less always than to win
less never than alive
less bigger than the least begin
less littler than forgive
it is most sane and sunly
and more it cannot die
than all the sky which only
is higher than the sky

***********************************************

In Olympic news, I made astounding progress on the mitten. Maybe too much so. Knitting Cascade 220 in stranded colorwork on 3.5 mm needles is a bit tough on the hands. I'm back to Backyard Leaves for a bit.


**ASIDE: This is a smashingly brilliant name for a blog. Those who have not been introduced to the joys of P.G. Wodehouse are undoubtedly scratching the old nogg. If you are one of those, scoot over to your bookseller and plunk down a little of the ready money for one of his tomes. Highly recommended, of course, are the Jeeves and Wooster stories, but Uncle Fred in the Springtime also charms, and Psmith in the City is one of the funniest books ever printed. Go on, we'll be here when you get back.

12 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

I love e.e. cummings!

7:32 PM  
Blogger quantumtea said...

I love Wodehouse! Always makes me laugh.

7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw EE Cummings and and Wodehouse! A magical combination! My favorite Wodehouse tale is "Code of the Woosters." My older sister and I oft remark on the wonders that are a silver cow creamer. In fact, her birthday gift this year is a ceramic cow creamer!

8:10 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Hmm, i must be on of those people you're asking to go to the bookstore. Um, I didn't get it. *hiding*

8:37 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

i've always loved ee cumming

P.J. Wodehouse too!! It's been years since I've read either - thanks for the reminder.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

I love the rhythm and the music of cummings' poetry, but I don't trust it! (does that make any sense?) I always have to read it twice and carefully, to make sure that he's not sneaking in some subversive stuff about love in order to have a joke at my expense. OK, now i sound paranoid.

10:28 PM  
Blogger chittavrtti said...

I picked up Sigur Ros' Takk... and Picaresque by the Decemberists today thanks to you ***CV

11:41 PM  
Blogger chris said...

I love e.e. cummings! Sadly, I have to admit that it's been too long since I've read any of the poetry books collecting dust on my shelves. Ever since the birth of Bossy, I feel like the old noggin has deteriorated to a state like Teletubbies on pot. (Which is a REALLY scary image, I know!) Looks like I'll be making a trip to the old library this week to learn about Wodehouse! As long as you promise to wait... ;-) Take care, Laura! :-)

2:24 AM  
Blogger knitannie said...

Just checking in to say hi. Great post, love the poem.

2:44 AM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

A very interest poem to think on.
Can't wait to see the Cascade project. Thanks for the mind fodder:)

11:20 AM  
Blogger Bethro said...

Thanks for your help with the heels. I had just decided to do afterthought...now I have to rethink it.

I am a HUGE fan of P.G. Wodehouse. I recently got my husband to start reading Jeeves and Wooster (after watching all the BBC DVDs). I second the commenter who votes for Code of the Woosters .

I also love Leave it to Psmith

5:59 PM  
Blogger amandazen said...

I love e.e. cummings! I am definately going to have to check out poetry monday. Thanks so much for sharing!

Amanda

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home