Saturday, February 18, 2006

The Problem with Project Polygamy

...is that it makes blogging difficult. When you've made just a little progress on three different projects, that doesn't make for very exciting photographs or pictures.

So, instead, why not some thoughts on recent issues of knitting magazines?

Last year, I joined Rowan International and was excited to receive the member gift, which was two balls of KidSilk Haze. After several months, I now have a plan for it. But I haven't been as thrilled with the actual magazines and the latest issue was really a letdown. There wasn't much in there that I would want to knit or wear. (I guess the cover should have tipped me off.) Carolina is pretty, and might be a nice project to knit, but the photo isn't convincing me that it would wear well. Jasmine is nice too, but I've pretty much decided that cotton is not my friend. I am not sure whether I should renew my membership or not.

I did recently order four back issues (numbers 30, 31, 32, and 34) for the astoundingly low price of 9.99 British pounds. Even with shipping, that's a great deal. I have received the two autumn/winter issues, and there are some really lovely patterns in those.

I also recently received my Spring 2006 Interweave Knits. I love this magazine. I really enjoy the articles, especially Amy Singer's column and the reviews. I love that they include sock and lace projects. Either the editors really understand what the knitting community wants, or we all want to knit these kinds of things because they are in IK. In any case, it makes browsing the magazine a satisfying knitting fix!

I really like Kate Gilbert's Sunrise Circle Jacket. Ingenious construction! I also am thinking about making Ann Budd's Pullover Flair sometime. It looks like a sweater that could easily become a favorite. Plus, I love those wide rib patterns.

Finally, because I cannot resist magazines in general and knitting magazines in particular, I recently bought the latest copy of Knit.1. Most of these projects are too young, edgy, bulky, or froufy for me to actually wear. But, for some reason, I really enjoy this magazine. I like the fact that the issues are themed -- this one is the "travel issue." There was a really cute article providing key knitting phrases (such as "Oh dear, I have to rip back. Again.") in ten languages. The German translations were provided by Sockapaloooza momma Alison. There were also profiles of knitters from several countries, of varying ages. One of the featured knitters was Anna of My Fashionable Life. It was a little thrill to see someone I "know."

There were a few cute patterns too. Mari Lynn Patrick's stewardess minidress is not something that I can wear, without looking very silly. But it would make a great pullover if you knitted a shorter version. And how cute are these socks? I love them!

It is very cold here, and I could actually use those mittens. Back to the knitting here and now!

20 Comments:

Blogger Cat said...

I have look through the latest Rowan and I don´t like.. And it is the most common reaction here in Stockholm... I´m waiting for my copy of the latest IK... I want it now!!
"Heja Sverige" -it´s a great cheer for Monday... Right now I watching the Swedish hockey men playing against Latvia 2-0 to us..

11:54 AM  
Blogger amy said...

i can't wait to pick up the new issue of ik. i like the flair sweater as well.

ok and those socks are great! i paged through that issue at the fabric store the other day and didn't notice those.

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too agree with the concept of not having anything to post when the work completed is so small no one could tell the difference. I just photographed two socks and I've done about an inch worth of work on each. Is that post-able?

12:16 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I'm with you on IK. Love it.

As for project polygamy (I'm currently reading about the consitutional issues with Utah statehood - fascinating) - if you have enough projects, maybe we won't remember well enough to notice. Worth a shot, right?

12:21 PM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

I love those socks, too. So cute. Now I have to run out and get that IK issue! Dang, another two hours before the book store opens;)

1:00 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I am going to knit Maggie from the latest Rowan. Other than that I liked the men's sweaters in the last section but I don't really like knitting with cotton either. A lot of people seem to like the All Seasons cotton but I'm not convinced yet.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Mintyfresh said...

Thanks for pointing out that the Sunrise Circle Jacket pattern is up! I saw the picture and thought it would be a fabulous gift for my mom, but the pattern wasn't up then, and I forgot all about it. I've bookmarked it and will think about what color to make it in!

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Humph! I just got the first issuse of my IK subscription -- and it's the WINTER issue, which I have already bought, and which my sister gave me a copy of to indicate that the subscription was on its way. Still, I agree with you about IK -- each issue has things that I would love to knit. My only complaint is that I am never, ever, ever going to wear a knitted tank top, so it would be nice if those patterns included a sleeved version, even if they were just small cap sleeves. Some of us must wear bras, after all.

I must say -- you write so clearly and thoughtfully about knitting, Laura -- you always say what I am thinking, except far better than I ever could!

2:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Rowan covers always kind of intimidate me so I've never looked through an issue.

I actually received the new IK today! It's a freakin' miracle! No, really. It's a miracle. I always get it three weeks later than everyone else. So I'm planning on reading through that as soon as I'm done doing the blog rounds for the day ;o)

4:47 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Eek! I want Rowan 34 and that deal with all 4 is fantastic, but I'm not a Rowan member. To join or not....

4:54 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

I love the Sunrise Circle Jacket, too! I have some complainin' to do about some of the other patterns, which I'll keep to my own blog. I love the Rowan patterns you showed, though...why is cotton not your friend? Because it stretches out beyond all recognition? That's my problem with cotton, but it's a necessary fiber here in Hotsville, USA. And those socks are so cute! Super clever.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I'm still waiting for the latest rowan and IK. Wow! Did you just get them?

9:03 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

That Sunrise Jacket in IK is very interesting. IK is the only subscription I've kept. Dropped Knitters and Vogue. I'm intrigued by Rowan but haven't seen much of it. The current cover kinda freaks me out.

11:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was thinking the same thing about shortening that Knit1 dress! That way it would actually be wearable. I did like some of the travel accessory knits though.

Sadly I was kind of disappointed in their "pirate" article. There wasn't anything in there that I think I'd seriously make. I was expecting that, but I was hoping for eye candy in the form of cute boys in pirate clothes. There was one guy modeling a sweater, and that was it. Drat.

11:45 PM  
Blogger chris said...

I haven't started a subscription with IK yet (I don't know what I'm waiting for- this will make the third issue I've bought off the stands already, at $2 more per magazine than subscription rate- absolutely blasphemy from the ghetto standpoint!), but I'm super excited to buy the Spring IK. I saw several projects that caught my eye on the preview page- especially Pullover Flair. And I LOVE those socks!! Cute beyond compare!! In Hawaii, we have such a slipper fixation, so those socks would be perfect! Take care, Laura! :-)

2:38 AM  
Blogger This Weary Traveler said...

I agree on both the Rowan magazine and Knit 1. Although the travel pillow/throw pattern is pretty cool in Knit 1. I always get cold on planes and the airline blankets are awful. Plus, I think I can use stuff from my stash to knit it!

7:27 AM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Oh, yes, I really love that sunrise circle jacket and will definitely knit it--for next fall, I assume. :)

1:32 PM  
Blogger knitannie said...

Hey how about a Sunrise knit along? It would be the perfect knit for spring and I've seen a few other people comment on it, so we may get a few joiners.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Glaistig said...

I picked up Knit1 also. I feel guilty when I do so because I usually only like one or two things in there. I like the ruffled shrug (project 15?) a lot. Very Elizabethan :)

7:32 PM  
Blogger knittinmom said...

Those are the cutest socks ever! I might have to pic up that mag just for that pattern...

I'll counter that "Heja Sverige" with a hearty "Suomi!", for those of us with ancestors from the eastern end of Scandinavia.

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home