Saturday, February 25, 2006

Toes in a Pocket*


They're fun but they're boring**
They're dull but they're bright***
They're loud but they're quiet, yeah
They're plain but they're wild
They're wool and they're Regia^
They're cute, but they're ugly baby^^

What it all comes down to
Is I'm gonna win that Bearfoot yeah
I've got my toes in a pocket
And an F on Chrissy's sidebar.^^^

* Scroll down to fru_gal's comment here.
** With apologies to Alanis Morrissette, whose cool song "Hand In My Pocket" is almost enough to make me forgive her for asking that musical question, "Isn't it ironic?" To which the only correct answer is, "Actually, no, it isn't."
*** Yeah. These colors. I don't wear either orange or bright pink. What possessed me? I don't know. This yarn has been in my stash for dog's years. I guess the colors just appealed to me. Hey! They kind of match the Edgar!
^ The yarn is Regia self-striping sock yarn in the color Ringel Clown. I used about one ball. I hope I have enough left to make my sister a pair of footies. This yarn would make very cute footies. I wasn't starting with two full balls, because some of this got into a tangle with some black eyelash. Don't ask, it's in my shadowy knitting past.
^^ Well, Mr. A said they were ugly. I think they're cute. What does he know? Are you still with me with the footnotes? This post is like the bastard love child of Alanis Morrissette and David Foster Wallace.
^^^ Yay! A pair of socks for February! I really wanted to get in on the Bearfoot drawing, so Chrissy, give me an F. Other things you might want to know. These were knit toe-up using a Turkish cast-on. I used US1/2.5 mm Addi Turbos -- a 40 inch circular for the Magic Loop, baby! Magic Loop roolz! DPN droolz! My gauge was 7 sts/inch and I cast on 52 sts for the foot. They fit great. The leg is K3,P1 rib. The round before the bind off, I increased 1 st every 4th st. This made the little flare at the top, but also made it possible for me to get my foot in the sock. My big problem with toe-up socks is avoiding a tight bind-off. Other than a picot bind off, or using bigger needles, anyone have any ideas?

18 Comments:

Blogger Acornbud said...

Very cute, cozy sockies, indeed! I love the colors. They really brighten up a cold, dreary day.

10:17 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I like 'em! They kind of remind me of Punky Brewster. Remember that show? Heh heh...

10:28 AM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Very cute. You've got to love wild socks. They're the one place I get to wear colors that I love but that I can't necessarily wear near my face. Or wear at all--like that Rainbow Brite pair you've got goin' on! :) I love them!

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even if you don't like bright colors - I think they are terribly cute. Perfect for cozy feets around the house. And maybe something only a knitter could love.

Love you Alanis spoof. Like many, I was all about her first album, and then she started to wear out her welcome with me.

11:32 AM  
Blogger jessica said...

Hi I'm visiting you thanks to candsmom. What lovely gifts you gifted her with!

Those sochs are super cute, I like brightness on my feet. My toenails are always painted some hot new funky color(no one ever sees them, and it makes me happy). I like knitting toe up too and I think I'm going to try your inc method. Thanks! Cool blog, I'll be back to visit more!

11:51 AM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Ha! They are rather Punky Brewster-ish. They're perfect for a gray winter day; they'll keep your feet warm and brighten the day too!

4:30 PM  
Blogger amandazen said...

Oh they came out great and they look comfortable. I agree with Lolly they look like Lifesavers...yum!

Amanda :)

8:32 PM  
Blogger chittavrtti said...

I think that they are fun! In fact when I saw the picture my first thought was," I wonder what pattern that is?" ***CV

1:00 AM  
Blogger chris said...

I love the socks!! They're so cute!! And the colors are way fun (but not boring ;-)), too. They're the kind of socks that would make me happy to pad around on the cold kitchen tile on a nippy morning (and yes, we DO have a few of those around these parts ;-)) while waiting for my coffee to finish brewing. I've been wanting to try that Turkish cast-on for some time...definitely with my next pair of socks. And I bought two circs to attempt the 2 circs bit- does that drool as much as dpns? Since they're at least circs, I figure it shouldn't qualify for full droolz...maybe just salivation. ;-) Take care and have a great weekend, Miss L! :-)

1:32 AM  
Blogger MiniLaura said...

I say cute!

looser bind-off? How about binding off normally, don't cut the yarn and loosen each stitch manually. Yes it's annoying.

Tubular bind-off? I've never done it, but I've seen instructions for it somewhere.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Try a sewn bind off a la Elizabeth Zimmerman - stretchy, no flare. I learned a tubular bind off last night for my Olympic collar (nothing like the last minute, right?) and that's super cute, too, but takes a LONG time.

9:58 AM  
Blogger lexa said...

I love them! I like colorful socks. Cool twist on Alanis, too!

12:29 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

I love this post so, SO much! You are such a clever girl. (Cisneros gets carried away with her footnotes, too, in Caramelo. THe footnotes have footnotes! Oh! And this post is about feet! Hah! So many layers of meaning, you're too much!) Can't help you with the bind off question, though...I've never tried toe up, tho I'm considering doing my sockpal's socks this way.

2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the bind off on toe-up socks, I find that I like the solution offered by Priscilla Gibson-Roberts in Simple Socks, Plain and Fancy -- in that book (a must own, IMHO) she provides instructions for a sewn cast-off that is easy peasy, lemon squeezy AND good looking AND stretchy.

Hope this helps! Love your sockettes!!

10:48 AM  
Blogger Glaistig said...

I like the flare on the top. Ah, Mr. A. . . . Quelquefois, les hommes n'ont pas de gout.

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cannot even describe how crazy the Ironic song makes me, as I feel compelled to correct her every time she sings that line, which adds up to quite a few corrections.

The socks are great -- this is the time of year when you need some outrageously bright color to hold you until the bulbs start blooming.

2:04 PM  
Blogger Jillio said...

regarding the bind off question, maybe going up a needles size? you ever tried a single crochet bind-off a la monte stanley's knitter's handbook? if not, i'm sure you'll find one in that book...the book retails for $20, yet i think you'll find your money in the often-tauted chapters devoted to the cast-on and bind-off. just sayin'.

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Laura! Love the new socks. I need to try that magic loop technique. Ohh..I want to see Capote too! Have a great weekend.

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home