Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Random Tuesday

A veritable hodgepodge today. I got an awesome package for the KTC Mystery swap from Kim. I posted more details here. It was a fun swap and she really spoiled me. So, thanks again Kim! Hop on over to her blog and say hello! She's had a recent series of posts on Sexy Men. Aspiring Mrs. Clooneys will not be disappointed.

I saw a really fun music meme at Good to Be Girl and Misocrafty. Post the first ten songs to play on your MP3 player when you hit shuffle. I could basically talk about three things forever: knitting, music and movies. It is only because I don't want to bore you people to death that I don't go on and on about music and movies on this blog. So, instead, I posted my results here.

And, now, for some actual knitting content... As I mentioned yesterday, I finished something! (Big Reveal to come tomorrow.) Needless to say, that means I get to start something else. I've been thinking that perhaps a warmup lace project is in order before tackling the Sampler Stole. I am certain that Sir Edmund Hillary climbed a few hills before he ascended to summit of Everest.
So last night, I cast on the Adamas Shawl. The pattern calls for laceweight and size 5 needles; I have this alpaca fingering weight and started with size 8 needles. The needles were too big -- the resulting fabric was way too open for my taste. I'd prefer the stockinette areas to be more "solid." So I'm going to try again with size 5 or 6.

But here's another thing. The pattern calls for the knitter to place about a gazillion stitch markers. Frankly, they were making me insane. You more experienced lace knitters ... is this really necessary?

14 Comments:

Blogger MiniLaura said...

you don't need stitch markers after every repeat. In fact, you don't need them at all if you are good at reading your knitting. However, I would suggest using one after every few repeats so that counting stitches will be easier. That's assuming that you will occassionally count your stitches to make sure that you are still on track!

4:39 PM  
Blogger Mintyfresh said...

I'm not a regular lace knitter, but I found that the way the yos grabbed the stitch markers made it really hard to move the knitting around on the needles, so I am going ahead without them. I'm finding it pretty easy to read the pattern--but then, I'm doing a simple, repeated lace. I guess if I were you, I'd start out with them to see if I really needed them or not.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I use the stitchmarkers until I am familliar enough with the pattern to be able to read the lace. I never found them to be annoying. What type are you using?

5:42 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

In my opinion, yes you need the markers. They are a pain at first but will save you in the end. Use them!

5:44 PM  
Blogger Marji said...

although they are really pretty, those stitch markers with the dangly charms can really be a problem catching yarns and YO's, try using the simple plain round disks.

6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Markers no (or at least minimal), lifelines yes -- that's my lace-knitting recipe.

8:03 PM  
Blogger amandazen said...

I love that you wait to finish something then move on to another project. I have a bad habit of starting a project putting it aside for months and then finally finishing it.

Good luck with your Adamas Shawl!

Amanda :)

8:05 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

personally, I say yes to the stitch markers, even though you may feel like you're using a thousand of them at first. even if you want to be able to "learn" to read the lace (and you will), initially it helps keep things straight and saves you some headaches.

11:03 PM  
Blogger knitannie said...

Even your "training" shawl looks amazing. I love it.

1:48 AM  
Blogger chris said...

What an awesome package from Kim!! I'm loving that Cherry Tree Hill yarn! I love that Adamas shawl, too. I was thisclose to casting on for that instead of the FBS, so great minds and all that. ;-) As for the stitch markers, I used them for at least the first few rows, till I'm pretty sure that I've got the hang of the pattern. I think they're mainly to help separate the stitch repeats so that if you make a mistake, you'll only need to tink back a few stitches, rather than frog entire rows. I'm using them right now with the Sampler Stole and have been regularly blessing their existence, since they've saved my a%* quite a few times already. With FBS, I kind of threw caution to the wind and didn't use any, but it was a simple, repetitive pattern. I think the main thing is to make sure that at least the center stitch is marked so that you can catch mistakes no more than 1/2 way through a row. Looking forward to the big reveal! Take care, Laura! :-)

3:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've tried with and I've tried without and with, even though it slows you down, helps you find mistakes. Esp. if you are a 'new' lace knitter. I use jump rings that I bought at AC Moore for like $1 for 100 - the dangly ones just kept getting in my way.

Can't wait to see your FO! :o)

8:50 AM  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Hey I'm working on an Adamas, too!!! How fun! I can't wait to see your progress - mine has stalled out a bit due to the home improvement projects I’ve been taking on…

I’m using stitch markers like the pattern says – but this is my first time knitting lace…. Although I’m through 5 repeats of the pattern and the stitch markers are getting pretty out of hand – I may switch to a marker every 24 stitches instead of every 12 as the pattern recommends… that way I can keep track but not have a billion markers to deal with.

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would use markers to start, but it looks like a really repetitive pattern, so once you learn the pattern, you can get away with only a marker for the middle, and you should be fine. Depends on how difficult the lace pattern is whether or not I use markers. I'm currently making a shawl in the round, and I have four markers to block off the four sections. Otherwise, I'm just reading the knitting to know if I've made a mistake. If you're relatively new to lace, definitely use the markers, though. Saves a lot of headaches!

11:23 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Do the stitch markers. Imagine going along fine until you have 150 stitches or so on the needles. At the end of a row, you realize you've lost track. Somewhere. Way back on the row. Wanna tink em? Stitch markers are your friends.

5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home