Sunday, April 23, 2006

Done!

Sockapaloooza Socks, finished April 23, 2006
Pattern: My own, based on Small Eyelet Diamonds from Vogue Knitting Stitchionary
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock, 2 skeins with a little of each left over, in the Seaside colorway
Needles: Two nasty little 2.25 mm circulars by an unknown manufacturer (maybe Susan Bates, possibly Inox) with the worst joins in history
Gauge: About 8 sts/inch
Dimensions: 10.25 long foot, 8 inch circumference (allowing for negative ease); from the ankle to the top of the rolled cuff is about 5.75 in.
Other details: Knit toe up, using a Turkish cast-on. Cuff is rolled stockinette, with a sewn bind-off -- the only plain bind-off I will ever use for toe-up socks. It is beautifully elastic. I allowed for a whole inch of negative ease in the circumference. My sockpal said that her foot is 9 inches around -- the same as mine -- and these socks fit me in the width, so I think it will be OK. I just know that my handknit socks have a tendency to grow with wear, and I hate droopy socks. My pal said that most of her socks are for cold weather wear, so I wanted to make something that felt spring-summery. With the colorway, the lace and the casual rolled cuff, I hope I hit the mark!

24 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are so pretty!! It's wonderful that it's your own pattern, too.

What are you going to do with those awful needles? Have a needle destruction ceremony?

10:49 AM  
Blogger Ramona said...

Great looking sock!

11:26 AM  
Blogger Lynda said...

Lucky sock pal!

11:58 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Those came out wonderful!!! I'm sure your sock pal will be thrilled. I have only one set of Inox that I used for my Olympic socks, and the join was wonderful . . . I never even noticed it was there. Maybe those are Bates?

12:02 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

They look great! And look at you - done a whole week ahead of time!

12:14 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

They are awesome! Your sockpal will love them!

1:37 PM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

What a talented person you are! The socks are great and show off the yarn well. I like them:)

1:53 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Beautiful - how special to make up your own pattern! I so need to get cracking on mine . . .

2:19 PM  
Blogger amy said...

Beautiful socks! I love Lorna's colorways.

2:27 PM  
Blogger sparkli said...

those look really nice!! terrific job, someone is going to really love them!

3:04 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Oh, those are so pretty! Lucky sock pal!

3:38 PM  
Blogger Persnickety Knitter said...

Nice socks! That's an interesting stitch pattern.

I'm guessing the ndls with the bad joins are Susan Bates. I have those and I hate them too. My Inox circ's in the same size have a MUCH better join.

7:15 PM  
Blogger Mintyfresh said...

Great job! I think your pattern choice was very nice, and looks great with the yarn. Your pal will love 'em!

7:30 PM  
Blogger Carola said...

Oh, here, HERE! I want to be your sockpal! ;-) How cool to write your own pattern for these socks and even better that they look so fabulous! Double wow! LL in seaside colourway is definitely another plus. Laura, I'm seriously in love with those socks!

7:43 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

they are awesome! really great job and what an original pattern! yeah laura!

8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am blown away by both the technical excellence and the sheer springy prettiness. Beautiful work!

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They look great!

1:23 AM  
Blogger cmeknit said...

Those are so cute! Great pattern.

8:55 AM  
Blogger alison said...

They're absolutely gorgeous! Well done!

11:46 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Very nice socks! I've been eyeing a couple of stitch patterns from the vogue stitchionary as well, and socks look like the perfect little place to try them out. I'm glad it worked out so well for you.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Glaistig said...

The coloring is lovely and very summery. You have a lucky pal :)

4:27 PM  
Blogger knittinmom said...

So pretty! I wanna be your sock pal!

9:58 AM  
Blogger Brianne said...

Beautiful! I, too, just had the experience of using circs that had less than wonderful joins and I've vowed never to use them for socks again!!!

10:48 AM  
Blogger ShelbyD said...

Gorgeous socks!

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home