Monday, May 22, 2006

Cheap Thrills

Here it is, a pathetic attempt to distract you from the fact that I haven't finished the Roundabout Leaf Tank. Ta-da...Mason-Dixon warshcloths in May-June Project Spectrum colors. Rachel wondered why the knitblog universe has gone crazy for washcloths. It's all about cheap thrill. If your local crafty big-box store carries decent colors of dishcloth cotton, you can go on a major color binge for practically no money. Plus, they are quick FOs, and we all know the satisfaction of finishing something, even if it's just a square. The yarn here is Sugar and Cream, in color names I cannot remember. (This is not Peaches and Creme, which for some reason, I cannot find anywhere. Maybe it has a different name in the Midwest, like Hellman's is called Best Mayonnaise west of the Rockies?) Anyway, I think the variegated one should be called Neon Brazil -- it's super-bright versions of the colors of the Brazilian flag.

Speaking of dishcloth cotton, have you seen the new Knit.1?* I actually enjoy this magazine, even if I wouldn't or couldn't wear a lot of the garments therein. This issue is the "Art Issue" and among the projects are some winners. I like the Frida Kahlo-inspired stuff, especially the dolls for Dia de Los Muertos. Those look fun. There are also patterns for a basic camisole, shell, and 3/4 length sleeved sweater that are nice.

It being summer and the magazine being practically underwritten by Lion Brand, a number of the garments are knit in Lion Cotton. I'm sorry, I really don't want to be a fiber snob. But I cannot imagine knitting a garment in this yarn. To me, it's still "Kitchen Cotton." My experience is that these cottons don't hold up after being washed. Kay and Ann may call it "vintagey" but I call it "faded." That's OK for a dishcloth, but not so great for a tank top. Fortunately, you can knit these same garments at the same gauge in Cotton-Ease, if you happen to have hoarded some. (Why in the name of everything good and holy did they discontinue Cotton-Ease? It is so nice!) If you've had a good experience knitting a garment in kitchen cotton, let me know. I am willing to keep an open mind.

*Aaggh! The Google description describes it as a "knitting magazine targetting hip 18-35 year old knitters." This is the first time I've had my nose rubbed in the fact that I am older than the target "hip" audience. OK, I'm over it.

23 Comments:

Blogger Lynda said...

Oooh, older than the target "hip" audience... that hurts... and I know, being well past 35 myself! Ouch. That's just mean.

1:23 PM  
Blogger Lynda said...

**mean** Not you, "them!"

1:25 PM  
Blogger Coleen said...

ok... I'm older than the target audience too. I don't care what google says - I say we are all WAY more hip than the target audience!

2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the washcloths are so cute! i have this book on its way to me now; can't wait!

btw, i'm sure the 18 year olds don't see the 35 year olds as very hip! (whereas i'm only 32 and über cool ;-))

2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're so hip your bones are jutting out, bay-bee.

I've only been able to find Peaches and Cream at Walmart, with a terribly limited selection, so I'm using Sugar and Cream, which Hobby Lobby carries in abundance.

3:45 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

The target audience, huh... I say knit what you like and like what you knit!

BTW, I sent your prize today! I hope you enjoy it.

4:04 PM  
Blogger ofpinsandneedles said...

Better than realising even though you're the right age, you fall out of the target bracket due to lack of hipness! ;) That yellow fluffy thing on the cover? Clearly I'm missing the vital cool gene...

4:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand they look cool. I understand how they're easy. I even understand how well they clean things. However there's no way I'll knit one. Sorry...

(I've put out the word for a copy of that episode, btw. We *will* see it. And soon.)

5:01 PM  
Blogger MiniLaura said...

oh...I have only a couple more weeks of hipness! I wish I had known sooner. I would have done some wild and crazy hip knitting.

6:20 PM  
Blogger me said...

I like the dish cloths. And I'm okay with cheap thrills. I did wonder what the backside of the dishcloths look like. Did you carry the yarn across the back (is that intarsia?) or what? Thanks! I'm new to knitting with more than one color and not really sure how it works.

10:27 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

I just spent a good part of the afternoon today leafing through Mason-Dixon Knitting at Border's today because all the cool kids love it and seem to be knitting these warshcloths. You know I'm gonna have to have this book.

I'm with you on the whole unsuitability of Kitchen Cotton for tank tops. But I have to say that the ghetto knitter in me is relishing the fact that cheap cotton yarn is all the rage now, instead of super-expensive Rowan yarn (or alongside of, let's not be naive).

11:42 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

So, I don´t belong to the "hip" target age to read Knit1 - who cares?!? What does Google know about things anyway...

4:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel better, I'm in the target age group but I'm definitely not nearly hip enough to be their target audience. I need a magazine for 18-35-year-old perpetually bland and conservative knitters.

9:20 AM  
Blogger amandazen said...

I love the colors of your washcloths...I am completely distracted now!

Amanda :)

10:13 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Love the washcloths! You're right-cheap thrill. Also a confidence booster when you don't want to do anything too difficult!

I haven't found Peaches n Creme either, although I haven't looked real hard.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Bitterknitter said...

I've only ever seen Peaches n Creme at Walmart as well. On the subject of actual garments out of Sugar n Creme or Kitchen Cotton, my girls have sweaters my mom knit for them out of KC I believe, and they have stood the test of time (over a year old and haven't faded to speak of {yes, they've been washed a multitude of times}) BUT it's heavy stuff! I (being uberghetto at times) made myself a W tank from last spring's Knitty, which I just got rid of. The yarn stood up well, but the design made it VERY prone to stretching and creating bra expose'!

Can't wait to see the leaf tank! How do you like the Main Line?

-Lisa

7:15 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Agreed - definitely not lasting garment material. But great for dishcloths.

And I'm all about the cheap thrill!

7:41 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I have to say... I'm not normally into knit washcloths, but these are actually pretty cute. Hmm... if I can't register for $20 towels for my wedding, maybe I can just buy a bunch of Sugar n' Cream and MAKE myself a bunch of hand towels and washcloths. not even going there about bathtowels... or at least, more than one.

I love how yours have that ltitle bit of flashing going on. Normally I hate that, but it really works on the dishcloth!

gotta go look and see what the hip people are knitting. Despite being in the target range, I've never been one to be in the hip crowd. Square, yes. Nerdy, yes. Hip? Not a chance.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

your right wash cloths are just fast and easy.. good distraction! and i love that pattern!

9:56 PM  
Blogger This Weary Traveler said...

40 is the new 30 so we are still young and hip. I do have hoarded Cotton Ease and I had no idea what to do with it. I actually like a lot of what is in the new knit1 too. Which is a change usually it's too strange. Have fun at the reunion.

7:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.chicknits.com/rambles/archives/2006_05_11.html#000824
Bonne Marie Burns used P&C cotton to knit a very pretty cropped aran & seems to have had a good experience of it. You're right, though - I made a tank of it & even with ventilation (Knitty pattern "Brisa") it can be too warm.

2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I buy Peaches n Cream at Walmart and Sugar n Cream at Hobby Lobby. I think peahes is softer so that is what I usually buy. Hope you find it.

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

twotYou can shop on line for Peaches & Creme. They even have specials posted that change periodically.
log onto www.elmore-pisgah.com and follow the path to on line shopping.

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home