Friday, May 19, 2006

Round and Round

First off, thanks everyone for the nice comments about my hosta photos! I'm no Cara, that's for sure, but I thought they were nice "green pictures."

As promised, progress on the Roundabout Leaf Tank. It really does look ginormous in this picture, doesn't it? The other night, I started to get a little panicky about the size and blathered about it here. I've measured and remeasured and I think it's going to be between 35 and 36 inches around. That means that, on me, it will hang straight, skimming at the bust and hips. We'll see how it looks. I decided not to frog and alter the pattern to make it smaller, although that wouldn't be hard to do. I'm afraid that tightness and the horizontal lines might not be very flattering.

If it doesn't fit absolutely perfectly, at least it will have been a fun knit. It was a bit tedious until I started joining the body. After that, it's been entertaining. Maybe I'm a little simple, but the way this is all coming together strikes me as very cool. Also, for some reason, I find making little knitted leaves highly satisfying. I'm about two-thirds of the way through the main part of the body, and then I start some decreases to level off the top of the tank. Finally, the wide shoulder straps are added and shaped with short rows. It's going to need some serious, though not severe, blocking to flatten the inevitable rolling. If you've blocked Knit Picks Main Line or a similar cotton-wool blend and have any advice or tips, I'd be happy to hear them.

11 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

It does look big, but blocking should help. I like that color. Perfect for summer!

4:11 PM  
Blogger Lynda said...

oh, the "will it fit" worries - my LEAST favorite part of knitting! I bet you'll be fine and just LOVE it. It sure is pretty.

4:22 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

I love your new green banner! Is that Koigu?

5:40 PM  
Blogger Knitting Therapy said...

I look forward to seeing the final product. It shouldn't be too much longer!!
http://www.knittingtherapy.blogspot.com

9:13 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Can't wait to see it all done and modeled on you. Sounds like the fit will be perfect.

9:33 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

it's looking great! can't wait to see it as an FO!

9:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blocking can do some serious magic - have faith ;o)

btw, been searching every-fricken-where for that episode. I think we're SOL *SOB*

11:50 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Steam iron. See Grumperina's posts about this. Really works for anything cotton.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Jen (pieKnits) said...

Interesting construction, can't wait too see it all worked up!

12:07 PM  
Blogger Glaistig said...

I am seriously waiting with bated breath to see your creation. Laura, even it's larger than you anticipated or wanted, I'm sure that it will be gorgeous. If it skims the hips, perhaps you could wear it with a form fitting skirt or pants for contrast. It looks perfect for luxurious lounging on the weekends at brunch with the hubby.

9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks amazing. I am looking forward to getting started on mine.

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home