Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Things I Love From England...

The Oxford English Dictionary, compact edition ... yes, those are Jane Austen and P.G. Wodehouse novels in the background ... and my new Broadripples, arrived from Liverpool today!

These socks, which are smashing and wonderful and perfect in every respect, were knit by the multi-talented Anna from Finally Waking Up. (Click on that link and see her recent sewing projects!) Honestly, they could not fit any better. They're made of Sock It to Me and are so nicely stretchy. The colors are excellent. How about another picture of the heel, which is absofreakinglutely stunning? Did I mention how well they fit?

Now that I have intimate knowledge of Broadripples, I really want to knit a pair myself. I love the ribs between the bias/double decreased sections, and the garter stitch at the cuff. Also, I really like the way the toes are shaped. I like the way the decreases are spaced apart. (You can sort of see it in the small picture.) Anna did such an amazing job with these that I really had to look closely, and then look again, to tell whether she did a Turkish cast-on or grafted the toe. I'm still not totally sure.

Anna, they will get lots of wear, I assure you. Thank you so, so much! I'm really looking forward to the next Sock Swap. It was such fun!

12 Comments:

Blogger msubulldog said...

Gorgeous! What lucky feet. :) Anna did an amazing job. I'm already looking forward to another sock swap, too. *grins crazily*

3:09 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

wow! she did a great job! all the way from liverpool! i love swaps when you get something made from abroad!

3:13 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

wow, those socks are... great!!

3:43 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I just finished knitting my 3rd pair of Broadripples. It's a fun easy pattern - you won't regret casting on.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Carola said...

Looks like you have some happy feet there! The socks look gorgeous and so very neat, wow! So, the English with all their dictionairies and novels are also able to produce some decent socks ;-)

6:05 PM  
Blogger --Deb said...

The socks look beautiful!

And, the OED?? I'm going to break down and get a copy of that one of these days.... Really, it's surprising that I haven't yet. I DO, however, have plenty of Austen and Wodehouse to keep my shelves filled....

6:14 PM  
Blogger Glaistig said...

Socks from across the Pond, and Liverpool no less? I do say, how terribly charming.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

OMG, Laura, are you, like, standing on your head to take that picture????

Hurray! You got your socks! And all the way from England...no wonder you waited a couple extra days. And you know I love me some Broadripples. Definitely cast on...you may never go back to Jaywalkers. ;-)

6:45 PM  
Blogger Ramona said...

Love the socks!

7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hurrah! ;o)

They look great, she did a great job :o)

10:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so glad you like them! That's the second time I've knitted the Broadripple pattern and I really have enjoyed it both times, it's easy enough that after the first couple of rows you know what you're doing, and the heel and toe are now standard for any socks I design myself.

The toe is Kitchnered by the way, a little tip if you've not used Fixation/Sock It To Me for Kitchner before, make sure you pull each stitch tight as you drop it off the needle because you can't go back and correct it at the end like you can with non stretchy yarn, learnt that the hard way!

Thanks for such a glowing review!

4:35 AM  
Blogger This Weary Traveler said...

Awesome socks! I'm a big Jane Austen freak myself.

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home