Friday, May 12, 2006

Tinking, and Taking Stock

Like Coleen, I've been feeling a little overwhelmed by my projects lately. In an effort to regain a little control, I decided last night to catch up on my tivo'd TV shows and work very diligently on my Roundabout Leaf Tank.* Perhaps it was seeing that Grumperina is almost finished with her Pentagon Pullover that gave me a kick in the you-know-where. So, I really did work away, and made astounding progress ... when I realized that I had somehow managed to lose two stitches. Flippin' gnomes! This morning, I frogged back almost everything I accomplished last night. Sigh. I've also frogged the Trellis Scarf. I got to those "Knit 7 togethers" and realized that my needles were just not up to that task. Sigh some more.

Oh well, it's not as though I don't have plenty of things to work on. Let's take a little inventory.

1. The Roundabout Leaf Tank. Tale of Woe related above.
2. The Dishcloths. Well, these are done, and in Project Spectrum Green. Bad weather for photos lately, though.
3. Audrey. The other day, my mother asked how this project was going. I bought the yarn with birthday money from my aunts, and I think this has made Mom especially interested in this sweater. I was actually a little embarrassed to admit that I'm not working on it right now. I really need to start this again.
4. The Blue-Green striped socks. I'm about halfway to the heel on the first sock.
5. The Irish Hiking Scarf. Only pulled out in moments of extreme anxiety, or if I am dwelling on a problem. It sort of clears the head. I may always keep one of these on the needles, for emergencies. Whether I finish it or not is irrelevant. It's pure process knitting.
6. The Turbulence U-Neck Pullover. Aha! I snuck one in there! I actually swatched for this right after getting Knitting Nature, because I have yarn for this in the stash. I put it aside when I got my yarn for the Leaf Tank. Maybe I should start this, though. It takes me for-flippin-ever to finish a sweater, and it would be nice to wear it this year.
7. My Amazing Lace Teammate. As I mentioned, due to equipment failure, Trellis Scarf had to be thrown off the team. I'm looking for a replacement. Candidates are the Flower Basket Shawl, going back to the Adamas Shawl, the Shetland Triangle from WrapStyle, possibly Kiri, the Mountain Stream Scarf.** I could work any of them from my stash. Scouting reports on these potential teammates, anyone?

* By the way, Monday's episode of "How I Met Your Mother" was possibly the funniest yet. Comments, Jessalu?
** Sampler Stole? What Sampler Stole? Seriously, I think I need to tackle something a little simpler first.

19 Comments:

Blogger Sourire11 said...

The amazing lace knit along looks really fun… I may have to join in!

I’m finishing up my adamas now and I really enjoyed knitting it…. It was my first ever chart reading and first ever lace other than branching out and knock on wood it’s turned out really nice!

10:18 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

The Shetland Lace Triangle is amazing. Go for that.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Olga said...

Oh, man, Laura, you are not alone. I'm ditching Madli...she's just not giving me any love! I'm getting ready to write my "dear john" letter to her. :-) Believe it or not, I'm thinking of doing the Trellis Scarf as a stole (just adding in some repeats). Am I crazy?

You know I knit the Flower Basket, and loved that project! Adamas looks similar to it in construction, but they are all lovely.

OK, off to join the Amazing Lace!

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad you had to throw Trellis out of your team! I am going to give it a try even though the "knit 7 togethers" frighten me a little. Your replacement options all look wonderful, I am sure any of them will make a great team!

11:16 AM  
Blogger Persnickety Knitter said...

I made Kiri a while back and really enjoyed making it. But your other potential lace projects look great too.

Too bad about Trellis -- I was thinking of making that and wanted to see how yours came out. But K7tog sounds AWFUL.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

sounds like you have alot on your plate! i am getting a little kick in the butt too! i really need to finish some stuff, thanks for the inspiration ;)

11:26 AM  
Blogger Coleen said...

I feel your pain! too much to work on!

11:30 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

So many choices! I'm sure whatever you pick will be beautiful. Thanks for sending the 70's list. I can also relate...

BTW, I found this incredible new song that sounds like a cross between New Order and the Psychedelic Furs, well, mostly like the latter. It's called Soul Meets Body by Death Cab for Cutie. Have you heard of it?

11:39 AM  
Blogger Nik said...

hey hon,

The brittany needles aren't that sharp. But the Bryspuns are super sharp and should help you with doing the K7TOG.

In all my knitting life, I've NEVER had to knit 7 stitches together. Is that typical of lace knitting?

11:46 AM  
Blogger cmeknit said...

I can't wait to see your roundaleaf tank...I just got my book and i really am intrigued with that pattern. I just don't know about how it will hang...there is no waist shaping. What yarn are you using?

1:53 PM  
Blogger Bitterknitter said...

I vote for Kiri. Oh, and I like the little PS touch you added to your header!

-Lisa

4:03 PM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

Wow lots of great possibilities. I just frogged my entire attempt a lace...oh what to do. The Sampler stole is really beautiful and I like a rectangle shape.

1:33 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Oh those gnomes . . . hate those little suckers. Don't be overwhelmed - just take a deep breath and only worry about knitting which every project seems like fun!! :)

7:51 AM  
Blogger ofpinsandneedles said...

The Mountain Stream Scarf or the Shetland Triangle would get my vote - in terms of aesthetics, mostly! They're very very pretty, and I think the scarf might be easiest to wear. Will it be blue-green by any chance?

8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been considering lately making myself a little schedule on a piece of scrap paper, and knit various projects on particular days - like the ribby cardigan on even days, smaller projects on odd days . . . but then, that might take all the fun out of it. Can't have that! I'm project profligate these days!

1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think last week's was funnier than this week's - Barney in a turtle suit is fricken hilarious AND him telling the girls to 'SLUT UP!' made me choke on my soda ;o))

Although, the sour milk being put back in the fridge for the 2nd time was pretty damned funny too ;o)

11:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't give up on Trellis. I just finished it and it came out wonderful. Everybody who saw it said it was "beautifull". There is a trick to the K7TOG's. Don't even try to use the needle, use a small crochet hook instead, one of the metal ones. I already gifted Trellis to my daughter for "mothers day", but will get a picture on my web site soon.

7:03 PM  
Blogger Glaistig said...

Sometimes, you just gotta take stock. It's a very healthy approach, in my opinion. (Not that I practice it myself, tee hee).

Roundabout will be perfect when you finish. Have heart! Les autres can wait or be frogged. There is no Grand Knitting Time Table.

8:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recently finished a Shetland Triangle. It's a pretty stress-free knit if that appeals to you. And it knits up quickly.

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home