Monday, July 24, 2006

It's Not All Bad, with Footnotes

Thanks everyone for the advice on the tank! Right now, I'm just sitting on it, but I'm leaning toward "finish and try it on again." Then, sadly, probably, rip rip rip. But it's not all bad. Here are the knitting projects that are making me very happy indeed.



Waving Lace Socks,* in my red hand-dyed sock yarn ...


Calla Lily socks, yarn and pattern by Sundara. If you look closely at these pictures, you will see something rarely seen on affiknitty.** That's right ... heel flaps and gussets! I usually do short row heels, because they are easy on the magic loop, I am lazy, and they do fit me well. I decided to try the flap and gusset on these two pair, just because. And I have to say, it's a little more fun than the short row heel. You get an extra parade moment or two.

On Saturday, I went to the SnB Cleveland East Side meetup. This was my first time going to a knitting group since moving to Ohio*** and I had a great time. Because I am a total dork, I gave out my blog address to the two other knitters there. Here's a little shout out to Joyce and Preti, if you happen to stop by here! I really enjoyed meeting you both and hope to see you again!

Today's Musical Moment!**** One of my favorite new musical discoveries is the Missouri band Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin. They may be from the Midwest, but they've clearly got a thing for the Pacific Northwest. You can listen to their little piece of indie-pop perfection "Oregon Girl" here.

* God, I love knitting socks. It's just so satisfying. Makes for a boring blog, perhaps, but a happy knitter.
** Knitting content, while technically correct, is not the answer I am looking for.
*** Yeah, it only took me three years.
**** Because it's my blog, dammit!


20 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

I've never tried short row heels, but am planning to soon. I love heel flaps and gussets! There's no logic to it, I just like it.

3:05 PM  
Blogger --Deb said...

I opted for short-row heels on the Calla Lily socks because, while I've done heel-flap heels, they never seem to fit very well, and darn it, I want to be able to wear these!

3:06 PM  
Blogger jillian said...

Beautiful sockies!! I really have to try the short-row heel business!

3:08 PM  
Blogger Mintyfresh said...

your hand-dyed yarn is so gorgeous. Can't wait to see finished socks! I'm currently trying to sort out a toe-up heel flap and it's making my brain hurt.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Beautiful socks! My only pair of short row heel socks were too big in general, so I need to try it on a pair that actually fit. The turning of the heel is strangely satisfying to me too.

3:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm am so with you on the sock knitting. I love it, I've always got socks going, and I plan to keep it that way. My commute also involves a bus, so that is primo sock knitting time.

Nice heel flap and gusset! I swear by the heel flap. Never wear out. Never.

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was great to meet you, Laura. I hope you will be back at the SNB because I'd love to knit with you again. Thanks for giving me your blog's address. I'm enjoying reading it.

6:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny, I've never done a short-row heel - though I mean to. That calla lillie yarn is gorgeous! Yum, yum. Socks aren't boring, imo, 'specially when they're in exciting colors &/or patterns.

9:02 PM  
Blogger sparkli said...

oooh i am jonesing for some red socks... i actually have undyed sock yarn en route to my house in order for me to dye it red! what did you use to dye yours? i'm looking for ideas...yours is like the perfect color.

9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

who doesn't like looking at knitted socks?! more sock knitting content i say! :0)
oh glad you are going to finish the tank. hope it works out...
(i wait with fingers crossed) x

11:28 PM  
Blogger Dropstitchknitter said...

Pure loveliness! Up till this year I always knit flaps, but now I'm into the short row heel - it fits me much better.

6:38 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Sock knitting is never boring . . . nor are blogs about sock knitting. :) Love your funny footnotes.

8:16 AM  
Blogger Cat said...

I really like Calla Lily socks, the is yarn fabolous! And your own dyed yarn is great too.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Mrs. H said...

Is the rarely seen thing on your blog...outdoor knitting? That's rarely seen on my blog, for sure. I don't know what your weather is like, but here in Indiana you can take your pick: crispy fry yourself in the summer or freeze your butt off in the winter. There just really isn't much in between.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Tania A said...

The yarn you're using for the Calla Lily socks is beautiful!

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was so glad to find other socksters at Phoenix last Saturday! Come back again (and again!)

Of COURSE I checked your blog. And I'm with you in spirit re: sockknitting although I haven't finished all the self-stripe baby sweaters I plan to knit from my stash, first.

6:36 PM  
Blogger This Weary Traveler said...

The red yarn is the perfect red. I can't wait to see the socks finished. They'll be so gorgeous you'll never want to cover them with shoes! Am I the only one on the planet not knitting socks?

8:23 AM  
Blogger Carola said...

The hand-dyed yarn looks different on every picture but always adorable. Sock knitting is never boring. (The same is true for your music sections) The Calla Lillies come along so nice (I am still waiting for my yarn to arrive, sigh!) You look like a happy sock girl, forget the tank! for a while...

1:41 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

love the socks! and tell you knit group buds they need to join all the blogging dorks ;)

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm. I've only ever done short-row heels. Perhaps I should try gussets and see whether I experience this "fun" of which you speak.

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home