Wednesday, July 12, 2006

On Test Knitting and Other Matters

I've seen people go to school for years,
studying to be doctors and lawyers.
I've seen people get up at 7:30 in the morning,
going to work at the drugstore to sell Flair pens.
But the most amazing thing to me is
I get paid for doing this.
Steve Martin


I had to do something to commemorate the very first time I have been paid to knit something.

I recently volunteered to join Chrissy's group of test knitters and agreed to do a little sample knitting on a quick turn-around. Needless to say, I can't give you details. But it was small, square, and you use it in the kitchen.

Your level of attention to detail is completely different when you are knitting for someone else, with someone else's professional reputation on the line. For example, while working on said knitted item, I made numerous gauge swatches. I placed a lifeline. And then I actually used it. Furthermore, I blocked this item. When I make these for myself, I am often tempted to skip weaving in the ends. Couldn't I just tie some sort of decorative/functional loop? I have not worried about it ending up perfectly square. Any sort of quadrilateral is fine for me.

I did enjoy being a (tiny) part of someone's creative process. And the next time I make one of these for my own kitchen, I will attempt to make an actual square. I might even block it.

**********

Cat and I have been swapping music back and forth across the Atlantic. She sent me an amazing CD a while back, with a promise of more. Cat, it arrived today! If Blogger weren't being so fussy (grrr...), I could post a picture of the gorgeous deep purple Drops Alpaca she sent with it. Cat, your Kool-Aid is on its way (with a little something extra)!

Swaps, both big and small, are so much fun. You have until midnight tonight to sign up for Yarn Aboard II at Clothesknit!

**********

Thanks everyone for all the really, really sweet comments on my blogiversary. I am trying to respond to everyone personally, but I wanted to acknowledge you all here too. I'm pulling together the contest stuff, so keep checking in!

9 Comments:

Blogger msubulldog said...

Okay, I signed up for Yarn Aboard II! :) And congrats on the test knitting for Chrissy! I haven't been quick enough to snag anything, yet, but I'm getting ready for another busy stretch, so I'll hold off for another week or two.

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Blogiversary! You're definitely one of the best additions to the world of knit blogging. Many happy knits!

3:08 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Oh, I just signed up for another swap as well! I just can't keep from swapping. It's so much fun to meet other bloggers, and crafters.

I'm in the test knitting group for Chrissy too. I haven't had the time to commit to a project, but I'd be doing the same things as you! It's so much different when knitting for someone else.

3:39 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

I bet test knitting was fun! I do the same things when I knit for myself, like skip the blocking and weaving in the ends :)i swore off swaps for awhile, but i couldn't help myself with the yarn aboard II! the first one was so much fun....

7:41 AM  
Blogger Sonya said...

I have that hyper-conscious knitting thing when I work on my TKGA masters swatches. It's exciting and exhausting all at once.

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your description of your test knitting because it sounds like you're doing the kind of detail work that really makes a craft an art.

Very exciting!

11:18 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

So does that make you a professional knitter now? Way to go.

4:19 PM  
Blogger Glaistig said...

I have a feeling we'll be seeing a wonderfully written sock book in the stores by (ahem) someone in a couple of years . . . . Ha, I predicted here first, folks!

7:55 PM  
Blogger knitannie said...

HI Laura,

I missed your post to celebrate your blogiversary. I have to say I am really impressed with your blog's readership after only 1 year. Well done in getting your eloquent voice out there and spread to so many of us. We love hearing from you on a regular basis. Best wishes for year two.

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home