Sunday, July 09, 2006

One Year and Counting ...

Today's the day. It's been one year since my first blog post! One year since I started reading blogs and thought, Hey! I could do that!

In the past year, I've conquered my fear of dyeing with Kool-Aid.

When I started my blog, I thought size 6 needles were small. Now I have no fewer than three sets of size 0 needles, and I often feel I need more.

Right before I started this blog, I sold a bunch of stash yarn and knitting books on e-Bay. One of the books I sold was Knitting on the Road by Nancy Bush (cue collective gasp). I distinctly remember saying to myself, "Face it, Laura, you're just never going to be a sock knitter." (cue collective HA!)

When I started my blog, the number one thing that attracted me to a pattern was the possibility of finishing it quickly. I still get seduced by the quick knit, but I'm a more patient knitter.

A year ago, I didn't even know what a knitalong was. Now I've hosted two.

A year ago, I was unaware that I had a long-lost sister, from whom I was clearly separated at birth.

When I started my blog, I didn't know anyone in England, Sweden, Finland, Spain, Iceland, Norway, or Portugal. But now I do. I have made many, many friends all over the United States and the world through my blog and all of yours and for that I feel very, very grateful.

In Cara's recent article in Knittyspin, she describes the relationship between the folks at the Spin Out this way: Most of us were strangers to each other but everyone had a familiar feel. I know you. You're just like me. I get that feeling every time I catch up on my blog reading, or check my comments here, or get an email from someone who reads affiknitty, like the really nice ones I got recently from Linda and Phyllis. We may be living in different circumstances, in different places, look different, talk different. But we share the same enthusiasm and passion and, in my book, that makes us siblings.

I love that, in an important way, we're all alike. But I also love learning about our differences. I may never spin like Meg, keep finches like Stephanie, crochet socks like Amanda in Colorado, fly airplanes like Amanda in Oregon, or have a chicken in my bedroom like Jessie. But I sure do like to read about it! However, all the lovely sewing projects I have seen on blogs like Erica's, Jennifer's, and Jenny's really make me want to buy a machine and learn to sew. It may happen. My resolve is weakening. And Jennifer of Craftylilly makes me want to get out all my old beading stuff. You expand my horizons.

All of this is really to thank you for everything I've learned from all of you and all the happy moments I've had reading your blogs and your comments. But enough sentimentality. In the next few days, when I get organized about it, I'll be having a little "thank you" contest. Because a sappy post is nice, but sock yarn is much better.

40 Comments:

Blogger Sonya said...

What a difference a year makes! Happy blogiversary to you

11:34 AM  
Blogger Terhi said...

Oh, this post almost made me cry! Congratulations Laura! :-)

11:37 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Happy Blogiversary!

11:37 AM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

What a wonderful post. I'm glad to consider you a friend. Happy Blogiversary!

11:51 AM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

Happy Blogiversary! Great sentiments! It is an amazing experience.

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy blogiversary! I think that it really is amazing how this comminity really is so inspiring- none of us, I think, could have ever predicted it when we first started!

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"You expand my horizons"
I just loved that! It's so true--I never thought I could knit some of the thinks I've done, but I tried and even completed most of them! And so much of it is due to the motivation that reading blogs gives to me.
Congratulations on one year! And thank you!

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aww, lovely post, laura! happy blogiversary!

12:32 PM  
Blogger jillian said...

It's hard to overstate the importance of "blogland", and the friends, knowledge and inspiration to be found there, I think. I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said!

Happy Blogiversary!

12:50 PM  
Blogger Tania A said...

Happy Blogiversary!

1:11 PM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

As a very new reader to the blog, and a fairly new blogger myself, let me wish you a happy blogiversary. What a lovely, thoughtful post.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Happy Blogiversary & thanks for being one of my blog friends!

2:49 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

Happy Blogiversary! It is always a plessure to read your blog!!

3:20 PM  
Blogger --Deb said...

Happy Blogiversary! I'm still astounded at the wonderful world of knit-bloggers. Collectively, we are a marvelous bunch of people . . . I'm glad you decided to join! (Hey, I was a whole six months ahead of you....)

3:25 PM  
Blogger Erica Bunker said...

Happy Blogiversary!

3:26 PM  
Blogger Lynda said...

Happy Blogiversary- you've certainly come a long way - and I'm glad I got to witness it through your blog!

Blog work IS real - and thrives through our friendships!

3:35 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Happy Blogiversary! Blogland is a brighter place with you in it.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Coleen said...

Happy Blogiversary Laura! I loved your post. You put into words how I feel about blogging and all you crazy knitter chicks that I have met through the internet. Here's to many more years!

4:19 PM  
Blogger amandazen said...

Happy Blogiversary! Here is to another great year!

Amanda :)

4:32 PM  
Blogger Ramona said...

Happy 1 Year!

4:42 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

And that you for all that you've shared with us over the last year. It's been so great to get to know you, and to see the wonderful things that have flowed from your needles. :)

4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy blogiversary! i've only recently found your blog and i already eagerly await your posts to see what wonderful things you are up to. thanks for all the enjoyment you give us. x

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh happy day! i hear ya on the whole needle size thing. congrats

8:20 PM  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Happy Blogiversary!

And I'm totally with you on a the needle size thing - I have a scarf that I started on size 10's and gave up on b/c the needles were too small! HA!

8:36 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

happy blogiversary! We will keep coming back for me ;)

9:50 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Congrats, Laura! You articulated many of the things that I love about being a blogger. I look forward to many more of your blogiversarys!

11:01 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Congratulations and Happy Blogiversary! You were one of the first "strangers" to comment on my blog, and for that I will always be grateful.

11:25 PM  
Blogger ofpinsandneedles said...

A sappy post is nice, though, and particularly this one, which almost brought a tear to my eye. You articulated so well all the reasons I'm daily thankful for being part of this community - and your comments show just what a lovely inner community you've gathered around yourself. Happy blogiversary!

5:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Blogiversary Laura :)

6:29 AM  
Blogger knit_tgz said...

Happy bloggiversary! I am having a very busy phase in which I rarely knit :( and almost never blog :'( but I get my daily blogging fix from a lot of people like you!!

I am honoured to be the Portuguese blogger referred by you, and I can totally understand some of the things you said: I am in love with socks (yesterday I even knit a bit on the old-forgotten jaywalkers!), and am already putting together a list of patterns I wish to SEW one day!

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Blogiversary! What a great post.

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, the sappy was really kinda nice. It's lovely to hear how the blog has changed your life and opened up your horizons. All quite beautiful and serendipitous!

Happy blogiversary!

Now about that sock yarn...

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Terrific blogiversary post. Makes me wish I could go back and do mine over and not just brush it aside. You said a lot of how I feel, though (because as you say, we're all a bit alike!).

2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations and a brilliant post. I love the reflectiveness and found myself nodding along as if saying "Yes I know EXACTLY what you mean!" Crazy huh? Here's to another year and then some!

11:27 PM  
Blogger Glaistig said...

Bonne Blogiversaire! Thanks for expanding my knitting universe :) The journey is fun. . . .

9:43 AM  
Blogger stricken madchen said...

Happy blogiversary! I too love how blogs can connect knitters in ways that I never imagined before.

11:48 PM  
Blogger mathomhouse said...

Many happys!

3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Blogiversary :o)

12:20 PM  
Blogger Carola said...

Happy Blogiversary! I'm still wiping my eyes... how wonderful you described the knit-blog world with all its creativity, inspiration, encouragement and last but not least the sisters-in-mind effect it offers. I can all find this in your blog, so thank YOU for being out there. Cheers to many more years!

1:14 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

Hello!

I am contacting you because I am working with the authors of a book about blogs, and I'd like to request permission to use the photograph you have posted in this book. Please contact me at matt@wefeelfine.org, and I'd be happy to give you more information about the project. Please paste a link to your blog in the subject field. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Matt

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home