Thursday, July 06, 2006

Redux


Remind you of anything?

I thought it might be kind of fun to revisit my first blogged-about project and see if I could do it any better one year later.



You know, I think I managed to do it!

Pattern: Ballet T-Shirt by Teva Durham, published in Loop-d-Loop
Yarn: TLC Cara Mia in white, 2 skeins plus a little of a third
Needles: Size 11 Addi Turbo 24 inch circular.
Modifications: Many. A year ago, I made this sweater and had numerous gauge and sizing problems. I read Grumperina's whole discussion about the Ballet T and her subsequent development of the Tivoli and arrogantly decided that all my problems were a result of the pattern. Um, maybe not. Methinks the knitter had plenty to do with it.

TLC Cara Mia is basically the same yarn as the Katia Diana I used last time around. It's a surprisingly nice blend of bunny yarn and synthetics -- super soft and cushy and should hold its shape. This time, I used much smaller needles and knitted the sweater at a slightly tighter gauge than the pattern calls for. To compensate, I followed the stitch counts and shaping for the larger size. I added rounds between the shaping to lengthen the sweater. I bound off and decided it needed to be even longer, so I undid my cast off and added more rounds to the bottom. The only thing I'd have done differently is to add a few more rounds in the bust, before the waist decreases.

I think Ballet T Redux was a success. It fits just as I hoped -- clingy but not too va-va-voom. The chunky gauge lets the stitches stand out in a nice way, without making me look thick. I love the neckline. I really needed a white summer sweater like this to wear with skirts and jeans. I started it on Sunday and wore it out to the movies with some girlfriends Monday night. Can't beat that!

24 Comments:

Blogger Erica Bunker said...

How cute! Coincidentally, I had on my ballet-t just today! Great job!

6:03 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Looks great! How fun to be able to go back and rework a pattern just the way you want it. :)

6:27 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Very cute sweater! I think you did a wonderful job. Cara Mia is machine washable too, which is a definite plus!

6:32 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Looks great! Congrats on your upcoming blogoversary!

6:56 PM  
Blogger Lynda said...

Your sweater is great - and a perfect fit! Very flattering.

7:11 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Can't get more instant gratification than that! Looks great the second time around.

7:27 PM  
Blogger Mintyfresh said...

How nice to come full circle and be able to discern real progress! Congrats on your blogiversary, and here's to many more satisfying FOs.

8:15 PM  
Blogger Persnickety Knitter said...

Great job! It looks fabulous on you.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Looks like a winner. You've got a great fit there - good call on the smaller needles etc!

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I think you look pretty va-va-voom (but that's a good thing)!

11:26 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

What a great idea for your blogiversary...the perfect way to show how far you've come, and how much you've learned. Although I shudder to think about reknitting my first FO, which I think was the Ribbon X-Back tank. That was *such* a nightmare. The Chickami, though...I can see giving that one another go-round.

11:36 PM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

Very nice. Fits you perfectly. I'd say the redux was a success.

12:02 AM  
Blogger Cat said...

it looks fantastic!

12:06 AM  
Blogger ofpinsandneedles said...

No, you can't say better than that! It's lovely. And I'd never thought of making it in white, but of course with jeans it sounds perfect. Hope the film was equally good

4:06 AM  
Blogger Terhi said...

Laura, it looks lovely on you!

4:29 AM  
Blogger This Weary Traveler said...

beauty! I need to make one of these now too! I'm addicted to these top down quick-knit summer tops!

8:07 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

So cute, so pretty, so speedy!!! What a perfect summer project.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Twiss And Weber said...

T-D rocks my world and you did a famous job of that pretty top. It looks gorgeous!

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's great to have the near-instant gratification AND a beautiful FO all in one.

Very intelligent pattern adjustments!

11:58 AM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Great idea, Laura! Perfect way to see how far you've come as a knitter. And it fits you perfectly.

12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job! How satisfying is that? Beautiful new clothing, fast, and improving on onesself, too! Love it.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Glaistig said...

It looks lovely on you. Teva Durham is a genius. ( I agree with Erica about the va-va-voom :0 )

Thanks for the yarn assessment. I gather from one of your last posts (maybe your vest?) that we are about same size so I'll keep your modifications in mind for this pattern.

10:03 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

it's beautiful laura!

1:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the ballet t and am very impressed with how quickly you knit it! Looking forward to your anniversary blog, since I did read back to catch up with you! Have a great weekend.

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home