Friday, August 04, 2006

Addicted to Color

Today, since the heat wave appears to have moved on, I decided it was time to dye some of the Knit Picks merino dye-your-own I ordered as soon as it was in stock. I was so pleased with the results and had so much fun, I couldn't wait for it to dry to show you.


First, I wanted grown-up purple, not Barbie's car purple. (Better late than never for Project Spectrum!) I remembered what Chitta had told me about her experience with using plain grape -- it turned out maroonish. So, for this skein, I used 10 grape packets, 5 berry blue, and 3 black cherry. (Actually, some of this I used for a little test skein, but that's roughly the right proportions.) Before I added water to the dye bath, it looked almost black. But the result was exactly the deep, dark, semi-solid purple I was hoping to achieve. Huzzah!

What to name it? It reminds me a little of Lorna's Laces Black Purl and it does look like a black pearl. But it also reminds me of nighttime, and seduction, and for some reason, I've had Romantic poets on the brain lately. So maybe Mad, Bad and Dangerous to Know?

Emboldened by this success, I thought, I can do two colors. What I really wanted -- and I think I saw on one of your blogs, maybe Jenn's -- was the colors of a pink grapefruit. Deep pink and brilliant yellow. But I didn't have enough lemonade flavor, so I wasn't totally satisfied with the result. Also, once I put the water in the bowl with the painted yarn, the pink sort of took over. How do you prevent the colors from running together? You have to add water, right?

So this is what I got, the colors appearing only very slightly darker in the picture. The yellow was made with two packets of lemonade and half a packet of orange. The pink is eight packets of pink lemonade. Having less dye bath for this, there are a few tiny white spots. I don't mind that at all -- it looks like the pith of the fruit! I must say that this smelled fabulous. In spite of the lack of cranberry, the colors and the smell made me think of a "Sex on the Beach." When I was (quite a lot) younger, I thought these and Bartles & Jaymes wine coolers were the height of sophistication in a cocktail. Silly girl. But I'm thinking I should call this yarn not Pink Grapefruit, but rather Umbrella Drink.

29 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really, really pretty! I love the grapefruit colors - very watercolorey & delicious.
You don't have to add water, really. Start with the damp skein, pour on the colors, wrap with plastic wrap & nuke it a minute or two. There's an article in Knitty about it, and I'm sure lots more if you google it.

4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall02/FEATdyedwool.html
(the Knitty article . . archived.)

4:29 PM  
Blogger Mama Urchin said...

I love the pink grapefruit umbrella drink color. It's so summery. You made some really great combos.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Oooo, lovely yarn! I bet your kitchen smells yummy.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Check Alison's blog for how she got a great yellow:
http://alison.knitsmiths.us/001467.html

6:20 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Wow, that looks fun. And I think the results are great! :)
Whatever happened to Bartles & James and "We thank you for your support"? Totally dating ourselves, aren't we? *smirk*

6:42 PM  
Blogger amandazen said...

What lovely colors!

Amanda :)

6:53 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Aah, the fond memories of Sex on the Beach... the drink that is. Sadly, that's pretty much the only thing I like drinking to this day, so they could go back to just last week!

Great job on the dyeing... did you get the new superwash stuff, or is it the 100% merino?

7:19 PM  
Blogger Carola said...

Very pretty, your dyeing results. If you do not turn your hobby into some serious business by what I mean selling hand-dyed yarns, you should at least consider to become a professional yarn labeler! Very cool names!

8:01 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Love the pinky/yellow one! My colors sort of run together when I dye in the microwave, but I find that if I carefully and slowly pour the color on, and move the bowl to the microwave as smoothly as possible I get less bleeding.
My colors tend to come out brighter when I dye on the stove. Yours are lovely!

9:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are so pretty! Makes me want to eat it. It's sad that I know from experience that yarn isn't a good snack...

9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love both of those! What are you going to make with them? I haven't dyed--is it just the process or do you have something in mind to knit when you're choosing colors?

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your dying abilities are really impressive. Beautiful job!

9:58 PM  
Blogger Jenny Raye said...

Umbrella Drink--love the name!

8:32 AM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

The PURPLE is my favorite! Just lovely, you did a great job!
(((hugs)))

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic colors, both of them!

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty - I especially like the purple :o)

3:01 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

nhi love the purple color! i want to get some of knitpicks superwash and try "solor dyeing"

10:12 PM  
Blogger Glaistig said...

I'm really intrigued by the purple hues. They remind me of Manos.

Bartles & Jaymes, ah good times in the '80s, eh!?

11:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love the colours. especially the grapefruit one! :0) x

4:25 AM  
Blogger ofpinsandneedles said...

From what I can tell from my monitor, that purple is gorgeous. Exactly the colour I would hope to create if I was dyeing some purple.

Umbrella Drink seems a perfect name for the pink. Maybe you should invent a grapefruit cocktail to go with it?

4:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's my favorite shade of purple -- I'm glad you got the results you were going for. As for the pink and yellow one, I'm glad to hear you like the results even though they weren't quite what you were going for! That's what I'd call a successful afternoon.

3:07 PM  
Blogger sparkli said...

this looks great! i actually dye some of the same knitpicks yarn up last week with some koolaid. it was my first time... i wanted some really dark red... and it was some off... that knitty article they recommended suggests 1 packet per 1 oz of yarn... and i dont think that is enough if you want some dark color. i had to re-dye mine again to get something darker and it still wasn't as dark as i wanted... but it's still a pretty color. i just cant wait til it's all knitted up in socks... what are you going to make with yours?

6:39 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

Those looks great. I will take dye day when I have finished my move..

5:20 AM  
Blogger This Weary Traveler said...

Love the yarns! I used to drink anything with cherries in it. Yuck. There is a blue martini I still really like though and it comes with a swedish fish in it. Sometimes you never get over being 20!

7:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice non-Barbie purple. It's similar to what I got recently using alum, iron, and logwood...but with way less work and fussing with toxic mordants. I may need to give this koolaid thing a try!

10:36 AM  
Blogger Macoco said...

The purple looks amazing - great job! Ahh Bartles&James, the memories. Remember the commercials they did - the two old guys in a canoe? :)

11:21 AM  
Blogger Ramona said...

Very pretty. The second one reminds me a bit of candy corn.

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I *love* the umbrella. It's FABULOUS!

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home