Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Jumping on the (Conestoga?) Bandwagon

I am not embarrassed to admit that when it comes to knitting projects, I'm a follower. And, in this sweltering heat, I've apparently caught the Dishcloth Cotton Fever that's spreading through KnitBlogLand. I am pretty certain I got it first from Amy, but Dave definitely had something to do with it, too.

But, today, you get not one but two, two, two bandwagons for the price of one! Can you guess the other? Here's a hint...

Those Mason-Dixon gals have me log cabin knitting. It is wonderfully mindless, yet not boring. As Cara has written at length, it presents all sorts of creative opportunities within a dictated structure. You may think it is impossible to be truly creative within the strict confines of garter stitch strips. I would remind you of a poetic form which is very highly structured but nevertheless has been the starting point for some of the most gorgeous expressions of language in Western civilization: the sonnet. (And I haven't even mentioned the villanelle.) Kate of A Strikke wrote a very thoughtful post on Mason-Dixon Knitting, which you really should pop over and read, especially if you've been wondering what all the to-do is about.

So far I have finished one (approximately 14 inch) square and I have no set plans for it. I have started another, in the same colors but in a different order. When I get nine or so of these squares, I may sew them together into a baby blanket. We'll see. For now, it's just too damn hot to think while knitting, or hold wool for long. In a perfect world, I'd be sitting with my lime and lilac cotton and my Addi Turbos, in the shade, whilst been served very many gin and tonics. Sadly, not to be.

21 Comments:

Blogger Coleen said...

hmmm... I think I'd like to join the "being served gin and tonics in the shade" bandwagon! I like that purple and green together.

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If your bartender can make mine a Cape Codder, I'll join you in the shade!

1:09 PM  
Blogger amy said...

you have inspired me now, i have to do some log cabin washcloths next. i am thinking of sewing all my cloths together (i haven't used any yet!) to make a beach blanket. i have a ways to go though. cheers!

1:16 PM  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Cute!! Love the color combo... what yarn is that?

1:20 PM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

Love your colors! It is hot all over, except maybe down under:)

2:37 PM  
Blogger ofpinsandneedles said...

I'd join you, if only I had some cotton, and someone on hand to serve Pimm's with lots of cucumber. The virtual land of knitting under trees armed with beverages sounds so nice...

2:38 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

I really like those colours together -- I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

I love those colors! I was sitting here, salivating over your swatch, thinking, man, I love those colors...and then I realized I knit my Picovoli in lilac and lime green! Just call me Ms. Short-Term Memory.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I love those colors together! Hmmm, if besides gin and tonics, midori sours would be served, I'd be there with you!

5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

G&T- sounds lovely! i'm getting nervous just reading about the heat you guys are experiencing over there! it's already starting to warm up *a lot over here. please so away summer, and never come back! :0)
i *love the log cabin knitting. cara's blog is so great and her log cabin blanket photos have me itching to start one myself really soon!

6:51 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Great colors!

7:25 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

everyones doing the wash cloths! love them.....Dave's were inspiring enough to get the sugar and cream out for me... but know i am inspired by you to ACTUALLLY start ;)

9:42 PM  
Blogger This Weary Traveler said...

I love it. I may copy cat you Laura! I tend to follow trends too. I am always way behind though.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Sonya said...

I wouldn't have thought to put that green and purple together, but they look great. I did not inherit my grandma's eye for color. And I think washclothes may be the perfect project for heat wave.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Love that color combination. Fabulous. I think I need some garter stitch in my life this month, too, and seeing yours makes me sure!

5:26 PM  
Blogger Princessdeia said...

I love the Log Cabin Washcloths - and those colours are great

7:48 AM  
Blogger Lola and Ava said...

Once you're on, it's a hard bandwagon to jump off.

I made a burp-cloth and told the recipient that the colors made it look like a Dirty Martini Burp-cloth. I thought she'd appreciate the comment. She didn't. It's her first kid, so maybe she'll learn to appreciate it.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Kate A. said...

Hurrah! Welcome to Log Cabin Land! The water's warm...wait, come to think of it, everything's pretty warm...especially the yarn...Okay, where's my G&T??

Seriously - it's beautiful. I like the idea of using a lot of white or cream, rather than black (which is what I'm using, because I didn't think and I always use black).

1:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'll be traveling to Log Cabin Land before long, too! I love yours!

1:58 PM  
Blogger Glaistig said...

Okay, I think there is no better sounding combination than "lime and lilac." I'm going to go make one right now, hee hee.

The square is lovely. Perhaps this heatwave is a conspiracy of the cotton yarn folks?

11:16 PM  
Blogger JanuaryOne Cara said...

I love the colors you've chosen. I can't wait to see more squares! Thanks for reading my blog. Have a great weekend!

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home