Friday, August 25, 2006

A Long and Incoherent Post

First of all, thank you everyone for the helpful comments about Daniel's scarf. An especially big thank you to Lyricc, both for your highly practical suggestions and your service in Iraq. Unfortunately, Blogger is a b*tch, and I don't have your email address and can't get to your blog. Please send me an email directly ... I would love to see your blog and chat about my scarf project.

Per Lyricc's suggestion, I think I may try to make a nice one for sleeping and off-duty, and a washable one that can get dirty. I may try Knit Picks' new Swish superwash -- has anyone tried it yet? As far as patterns go, Here and There Cables is in the lead for the "nice" one. For the on-duty scarf, I'm torn between Interlocking Balloons, the Irish Hiking Scarf, and the Herringbone Rib scarf. I started an IHS a while back and got a little bored with it, but it is a nice pattern. All your suggestions were great ones, and even if they don't get made for Daniel, I'm thinking I'll be knitting these patterns sometime in the near future!

**********
I finished the Calla Lily socks, just a day and a half before receiving my new shipment from Sundara. More details about the finished socks are here, at the Petals Collection KAL blog.

**********
I have had bad sweater-knitting karma this year. I've definitely decided to frog the Roundabout Leaf Tank. I've lost some weight lately and I am certain it's going to look like a sack on me. Yuck. I have started a few others (Audrey, Turbulence U-Neck Pullover, Soleil) and none of them have worked out yet. But I am trying to reverse that, and am working on a little something from stash yarn. Also, I think I'll be getting back to the Turbulence pullover, and I'd like to make Mary-Heather's Chanel-Like Cardigan. I have big ambitions, clearly.

**********

I bought this bee-yoo-tee-ful Malabrigo back in May at WEBS. The name of the colorway is Paris Night! How could I resist?! I thought it would make a lovely and warm mistake-stitch-rib scarf. But now I want to do something a little more special with it. How about this little shrug-like thing from the fall Knitscene?

What do you think?

14 Comments:

Blogger jennie said...

Laura, I used the swish superwash for my fire-engine red "Fetching" fingerless mitts last week. i recommend it. It seems to hold up well in a wash, and though it feels kind of acrylic-y in the skein, it knits up really soft (though, admittedly, I did not hold it up against my neck, so I'm not sure... depends on how sensitive Daniel is, I guess. It didn't itch my wrists, but I have a high thresh-hold for that kind of thing). Overall, I think it's great.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Mama Urchin said...

That color is gorgeous. I can't wait to see what it turns into.

12:27 PM  
Blogger Kate A. said...

Ooh, the Chanel-like sweater is amazing! I hope you make that, so I can watch....

1:55 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Ooo, I think that shrug would be perfect in that lovely yarn.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

Very luscious looking Malabrigo. Luck you:)

12:21 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I sent you an email, and finally got the first post and pic on my blog.. so now it should work if you try to go look at it.

5:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the little shrug looks very pretty and i think it would look nice with that malabrigo. oh, i hope that your sweater karma turns around soon! :0) x

6:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That shrug is very cute! Good luck with the karma thing - it can be a bitch. ;o)

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmm, luscious Malabrigo. Beautiful color. I have yet to knit anything with that yarn -- I am usually herded quickly out of the LYS after burying my face in it every time I go in.

I'm sure whatever you make with yours will be lovely.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I like the shrug thing, but mistake st rib is underrated. It's relaxing, meditative, AND really lets a wonderful yarn shine through.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Just one comment about the malabrigo if you haven't used it before... it PILLS like MAD. No sooner than I had finished DF's sweater than I had to start pulling the pills off of it. but it is SO soft! I might shy away from making snug fitting garments with any kind of sleeve on them for I would fear of felting the armpits. This stuff felts really easily.

Anyway, I know I'm pretty late for this, but I hope your family is recovering from your recent losses...

1:01 AM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

oooo, love the color of that malabrigo... that little shrug will look great! good luck on your scarf ;)

9:27 PM  
Blogger Glaistig said...

That yarn looks galaxy-colored. *sigh* It's just exquisite. How can you resist a yarn called "Paris Night"?

The Calla Lily socks are great! I particularly like your pic view-- (I don't recall seeing many REAR view sock pics anywhere.)

The Knitscene shrug is cozy looking. Have you seen the Cache-Coeur in Weekend Knitting (p.78)? It's similar to the Knitscene design.

10:02 PM  
Blogger moirae said...

I bought some Malabrigo on Sunday thinking it would make beautiful felt. It doesn't, the colors just washed out, so be careful washing yours. I'm sure cold water will work much better.

1:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home