Friday, September 08, 2006

Further Adventures with Kool-Aid


Madrugada (mah-drew-GAH-duh): Portuguese and Spanish feminine noun meaning early morning, daybreak; in French known as l'heure bleue or in English, the blue hour.

I have embraced the challenge of dyeing yarn with Kool-Aid and achieving colors that do not recall a box of Lucky Charms. My goal was a deep, dark blue. While this skein turned out a little bit purpler than I intended, it's lovely and I'm a happy dyer. It really does look like the very early morning sky. This skein of natural Cascade 220 worsted weight Peruvian highland wool was dyed on the stove, with 9 packets of ice blue raspberry lemonade, 5 packets of berry blue, and 4 packets of grape. The picture is a little dark, here's a picture of both skeins which is truer.

Here's my first effort. This skein, also Cascade 220 worsted weight, was dyed in the microwave. I used the same method I did for the red and purple yarns I dyed, pouring the dye bath directly on the yarn. The result was much more variegated than those skeins. But I still likey.

I used 4 packets of ice blue raspberry lemonade, 4 berry blue, 2 changin' cherry, and 3 grape. I'm calling this one "Blue Bell Knoll" after one of my very favorite albums, recorded by the Cocteau Twins. Here's a video of the best song on the album, "Carolyn's Fingers."

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never thought of Lucky Charms...not even once!

Nice results. I am more and more tempted to try this myself. I like the serendipitous aspect of it; you don't know what you will get, but it is often really lovely.

Have a great weekend!

2:47 PM  
Blogger ofpinsandneedles said...

Lovely, lovely!

I'm trying to counteract my appalling musical ignorance, so off to look up Blue Bell Knoll. Wonderful name for yarn too - as is 'madrugada'. One of my favourite words, and maybe my favourite time of day.

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought I was the only one who loved Cocteau Twins! holy cow!
Another favorite is Kate Bush. It pretty much sums up my childhood.
How exciting to find like minds!

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

B-U-T-ful blues! I need a free weekend to try this whole dyeing thing out.

Random: Did you notice in the KnitPicks catalog that they called it "dying" all over the place? Death's not really something I'd like to consider when working with fiber!

3:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LMAO i was SO distracted by your pronounciation key i didn't even realize i knew the word. DUH la madrugada. It's REALLY pretty.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Bitterknitter said...

Lovely, lovely saturated blues! You may be inspiring me to give this dyeing thing a run!

-Lisa

5:33 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Pretty, pretty, blue yarn! Your technique makes me wonder if my problem with Koolaid has been that I didn't use enough packets. I always end up with a Lucky Charms effect. I will try again with more "dye."

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love it!! the color is dark. loverly. i thought all you could get was bright dayglo colors from koolaid

7:19 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Gorgeous! Isn't dyeing yarn fun?

8:02 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

That closeup of the variegated skein is incredible. So pretty!

9:24 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Wow, that is gorgeous! I didn't know that you could get such rich colors from KoolAid.

10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow i just *love that colour! it looks great with all the different shades of blue. great job! x

4:48 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Wow!! I'd say you have certainly mastered Kool-Aid dying!!

8:01 AM  
Blogger Olga said...

those blues are just divine. and i didn't know madrugada was portuguese, too!

7:07 PM  
Blogger knitannie said...

Now, dear Laura, what are you going to do with them?

8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful! :o)

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just LOVE that madrugada yarn. the first time I tried dyeing, I was aiming for exactly that colour - almost-night sky - but ended up with swimming-pool blues. not the same thing at all.

2:42 PM  
Blogger Persnickety Knitter said...

Hey, I'm a big Cocteau Twins fan, too! My favorite album of theirs is probably The Pink Opaque, especially the songs Lorelei and The Spangle Maker.

And I love your blue yarn.

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home