Tuesday, October 17, 2006

From the Department of Other Crafty Goodness

Because I clearly lack for things to do, I've taken up another needlecraft! I bought Jenny Hart's Stitch-It Kit long ago, and it's just been collecting dust. Jenny Hart is the brilliant mastermind behind Sublime Stitching, an internet business offering hip, fun, non-Kountry Kitchen type embroidery patterns. Since I first became acquainted with her site, I have felt that Ms. Hart must be deeply, deeply cool. Yesterday, I found out exactly how cool she is.

Lolly sent me an email that she had received from Sublime Stitching with exciting news. Ms. Hart was recently commissioned to create a set of embroidery patterns by the Decemberists.

Oh. My. GOD!

The patterns are based on artwork from their website and album covers; if you'd like to see some of said artwork, visit the band here. The patterns will be sold at the merchandise booths at their upcoming concerts, but she had a limited number of them to offer people buying her new book. I ordered the book in an attempt to get the Decemberist patterns that much sooner, but I doubt I was one of the first 15 orders. I will certainly be buying those patterns at the concert!

Anyhow, this was just the kick in the pants I needed to get out the embroidery stuff and get started. And, you know, it's really fun. I don't think it will ever take the place of knitting, but it's a nice little change of pace. Plus, it's not an expensive craft to practice. If you'll excuse me, I need more plain tea towels.

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute! I did cross stitch and embroidery way back when (okay almost 17 years ago...) and I loved it then :o)

Okay I am officially old. *sigh*

10:46 AM  
Blogger Kate A. said...

I love the coffee cup, but then that's because it says "They Might Be Giants" to me. I've been trying to talk a quilting friend into making a TMBG-coffee-cup quilt for ages...embroidery *would* be easier except that I'm not very good at it...

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bought that kit a while ago, too and I really need to get it out. Your stitching looks great!

11:35 AM  
Blogger bunchkin said...

Your stitches are beautamous! Very cute!

12:02 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

So cute!!! You look like you're a natural at embroidery right from the start!!

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a cute little coffee cup! nice work. I feel as though suddenly everyone is embroidering . . . now i want to too!

12:22 PM  
Blogger jillian said...

So cute! I have Jenny hart kit too, and haven't made time for it! You coffee cup makes we want to go right home and get it out!

1:20 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

OMG!! Those Decemberist designs are going to be fantastic! And your stitches are just beautiful. The only stitch I know (other than cross stitch) is the one Jenny Hart describes on her patterns, and mine doesn't look nearly as neat as yours.

You have to love the Decemberists for selling crafty stuff at their concerts.

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow that's really pretty! I did cross stitch once upon a time...

And now for the REAL reason I am commenting. You rock my socks. Get it? I got your package over the weekend and am thrilled. I'm actually thinking of giving it a shot tonight since Tuesdays are my night "off" and I think my brain would enjoy a challenge. You are so incredibly sweet. I will post pics soon!

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura, this goes back to your '05 archives: I noticed you started Glampyre's Tubular Cami (came up on Google). I've just CO and am experiencing problems with short rows and bobbles. Your little bobbles are perfect. Did u finish the cami (can't see it on your Flickr) and did u find any errors in the patt? Sorry to take you back so far. x

6:23 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Very cool about the Decemberists - I'll have to see if she'll sell them online since Colin and crew aren't coming here this round.
I was lucky enough to meet Ms. Hart two weeks ago - she's just as cool in person, and I got an autograhped copy of the new book! Now to find time to crack it open...
Your teacup looks great!

6:41 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I can hear the squeeing from here! How cool is that Decemberist news?

9:23 PM  
Blogger BrownPants said...

It's lovely! Very cool indeed.

10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

isn't jenny hart the best? i just luv her embroidered portraits- i dream of being able to do one some day. i bought the stitch-it kit a while ago too and have bought so many single patterns that i have more embroidery patterns than i could ever use in my lifetime! your tea towel looks really lovely. funny i feel like a nice cup of tea now... :0) x

4:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooh embroidered tea towels! how have i made it to 33 without any! it is looking fantastic and i love the sublime stitching patterns. i think i need that book!

4:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crafting for the Decemberists?! AWESOME! You know, the more I think about it, the more it makes sense that the DIY world and the indie rock world need to collaborate more. How fun would that be?

12:33 PM  
Blogger This Weary Traveler said...

I haven't embroidered in years, but I love this.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Glaistig said...

I love the teacup design! I remember my Mom embroidering when I was child. She had quite a few of those wooden adjustable hoops that held the fabric. You're giving me some inspiration to quite possibly open the box with my new cheapie sewing machine that's been sitting there since springtime.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Carola said...

I know, I'm late. That's not changing the fact that this kind of embroidery is so cool. I was always tempted to do something funny for a friend, some mock-new-style kitchen towels or alike but was too lazy to think about a pattern. Now they come in ready made kits! Great discovery, thanks for sharing.

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home