Thursday, October 05, 2006

Socktoberfest

...couldn't come at a better time for me. Gauge problems with larger garments have left my knitting ego in tatters. It's high time I got back to something I know I can do passably well.

Socks, of course.

Per Lolly's suggestion...

1. When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself? Take a class?
I made my first pair of socks not long after I started knitting in earnest. I finished my first pair in spring of 2002. I taught myself.

2. What was your first pair of socks? How have they held up over time?
This is my first pair of socks. They are heelless bed socks knit in a spiral rib on DPNs, in Lion Brand Wool-Ease. They've held up fairly well, but I rarely wear them. As you can see, they nevertheless need to be washed.

3. What would you have done differently?
Um, everything. For one thing, I would have used a different yarn. Also, I don't think I'll be knitting any more socks that have no heels.

4. What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
Sundara's and Jessie's sock yarns are my favorites so far. But undoubtedly Socks That Rock will be joining the list when I get a chance to knit it.

5. Do you crochet socks? Knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, using the Magic Loop method?
I use the Magic Loop method. Very rarely, two circulars.

6. What type of heel do you prefer?
I used to think that the short-row heel was the only way to go. But I am coming around to the allure of the heel flap. Both are nice.

7. How many pairs have you made?
Only nine pairs. But others have been started and abandoned for various reasons.

And, for fun, just some of the socks on my knitting dream list...
1. Karen's Sugar-Free Socks
2. Hedera
3. Pomatomus
4. Knit Picks Fair Isle Socks
5. Norwegian Stockings
6. Elfine
7. Broken Cable Rib Socks

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the socks you are working on now! I'm also glad to hear that you've heard the beckoning call of the heel flap. I'm a BIG heel flap fan, although I agree that the short-row heel looks very neat and professional.

May your Socktoberfest socks help soothe your troubled knitterly ego!

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too have made the mistake of knitting a pair of socks in Wool-Ease. The nice thing is, you can totally abuse them in the wash, and they don't change all that much. I love the socks you're working on now too - are you following a pattern or is it your own design?

11:32 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

I love the dream list! What a cool idea!

Which socks are you working on now? They are really lovely!

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do pomatomus! I don't know quite why, but I luuuurve that pattern. And though the stitch pattern is a cinch, when people see the socks they ooooh and aaah.

11:59 AM  
Blogger Bitterknitter said...

Those waving lace socks are looking great! Thanks for sharing your sock history!

-Lisa

12:35 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

These socks histories are so fun to read. I really need to go post mine, just to be fair. :)
--A

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading about your 1st socks and love the current. Which pattern is it?

I've just downloaded Giotto and am hoping to start soon.

BTW: Your 'parcel' is just about ready to go! x

4:29 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

The Waving Lace socks look great -- what a wonderful, rich colour! What yarn is that?

4:55 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Ooh, do come around to the heel flap fan club!

4:58 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I like your first socks! Your current socks are lovely as well.

9:18 PM  
Blogger sienna said...

I just finished my pomatomus this morning (and wore them to work!) and the hedera is a super-fun and fast pattern.

Have you tried Fleece Artist sockyarn yet? The colours are lovely!

1:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your sock in progress! What pattern/yarn are you using?

6:47 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Those new socks are gorgeous!

6:04 PM  
Blogger peaknits said...

I love the socks you are working on - I'm so inspired. Need to work on my Socktober wuish list!

8:43 PM  
Blogger This Weary Traveler said...

They are beautiful. I'm a huge magic loop fan. If I ever knit socks (a huge if), that would be the way I would do it. Hate DPNs!

8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your SIP! :o)

9:01 AM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

Love your sock past! and the future looks good too ;)

11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At the risk of sounding completely knitting dumb...
You can knit socks on the magic loop? What the heck IS the loop and how does it work? Oh please don't tell me you've opened a new door to me! I thought socks would be out of my league forever because I fear the douple pointy sticks!

2:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to hearing how you like the sock yarns I have for you. --your Yarn Aboard Pal.

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those red socks in the top pictures are fantastic! LOVE the color!

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home