Sunday, November 26, 2006

Another Pair of Small Socks

NB, Ohio readers: no inferences about my loyalties should be drawn from the colors of these socks. Yellow is S's favorite color.

Pattern: None, just basic house socks
Yarn: Plymouth Encore Worsted in navy and school bus yellow
Needles: US 5 Knit Picks Options Circulars
Size: About 6.5 in circumference (unstretched) and about 7.25 in long
Method: CO 40 sts in navy and worked two rows in 2 x 2 rib. Continued rib in yellow until the leg measured about 3.5 inches from the cast on. Worked a traditional sl1, k1 heel flap for 14 rows. Turned heel using this method and then picked up 10 sts on each side for the gussets. Decreased back down to 20 sts for the sole. Worked the instep in rib for a better fit. When I was ready to decrease for the toe (at about 5.25 in from back of heel), changed to navy yarn. Decreased on alternate rounds to 10 sts, then every round to 6 sts. Grafted toe on first sock successfully, while knitter friend who is killer finisher sat next to me telling me what to do. Grafted second toe alone. Not so much a success. Oh well.

Because the recipient of these socks hasn't been pictured here in a while, because he is so darn cute and so dear and because, frankly, foisting pictures of one's children onto innocent bystanders is one of the pleasures of parenthood, I present a completely gratuitous picture of my elder son, S.

Something interesting has happened this year. It's been about five years since I started knitting again and I've been really seriously knitting for about three years. Suddenly, in the last few months, family members have started to request knitted goods. I guess it took a while for them to have confidence that they would get something wearable. Or maybe they have concluded that as it is unlikely that I will ever stop knitting, they may as well cash in on my obsession.

Mostly, they want socks. My mother requested socks. My aunt now wants socks. My sister's boyfriend wants socks. (Query: does the Knitting Curse extend to siblings' boyfriends? I think not. I hope not.) J wants another pair of socks. They'll all be getting pairs made from machine washable worsted. It would take me forever to knit fingering weight socks and I don't want to take a chance that they will forget to hand wash. I may need to do some yarn shopping. Darn.

17 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

He's so cute! Everyone wants socks and you have to go yarn shopping? You poor thing... The things we do for loved ones. :-)

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hail! To the Victors Valiant.....
;-)

3:08 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I recently got 4 family requests for knitted Christmas gifts. Last week. At least they like them, right . . .

3:54 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

Cute little boy picture! I love seeing how he looks like his brother, but also not.

I'm glad to hear you say that about the worsted weight socks...I've been thinking that I might want to knit a bunch, but you know me, slowest sock knitter ever! I'd be knitting well into July. Question--does the acrylic in Plymouth encore make the socks less breathable? Or are they still comfortable?

4:10 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

What a cutie! I just got several sock requests today too. There'll be warm feet in the Midwest this year.

6:23 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

love the color combos! very cute... and i love pics of kids... you have them, might as well show them off ;)

11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Query #2: Does the knitting curse, which I understood to relate only to sweaters, extend to smaller items such as socks, mittens, scarves and hats?

Great sox!

11:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apparently, someone in your family carries the gene for squooshable cheeks -- he's darling! And perhaps it will help to think of yarn shopping as taking one for the team. Yes, THAT's what you're doing -- making a sacrifice for the ones you love. You're a good woman.

1:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute kid!

My SIL recently saw a half-done project of mine and loved the yarn. I said they were mittens for my husband but that he didn't want them so I was ripping them out. I offered her the yarn.

With a sly smile, she said, "Well, I don't want the yarn, really. But this sure would make a nice pair of socks...." Eyes batted.

So she knows what she's getting for Christmas! (And it's heavy yarn, so a very fast knit!)

6:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute socks! And, the boy is still cute, too! ;o)

Good luck with all that sock knitting...

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So cute! Both the socks and the kid. :-)

4:10 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Go Blue!

8:52 PM  
Blogger This Weary Traveler said...

Your children are adorable and you should show them off whenever possible! The socks are pretty cool too.

9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK this is TOO funny. So I started knitting with your kit. And I started knitting the sock in the magic loop book. And I *thought* I had gauge but I most definitely did not and so instead of knitting socks for me I'm apparently knitting socks for my son!! LOL! I did the leg and I did the heel flap I think it's called and now I'm at something where i have to knit into the back loop and I'm stuck there for right now. I just need to sit with my snb book and figure it out. But yay i'm knitting a sock! And then you'll have to teach me how to do two at a time.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Glaistig said...

I think your relatives have clued in on the fact that you are indeed the Queen of Delectable Foot Apparel, as evidenced by those adorable yellow footies! Perhaps they fancy themselves saying to a work colleague or friend, "Oh, yes, these delightful socks were expressly made for me out of the finest [wool, silk, mohair, etc.] by my [daughter, niece, girlfriend's sister, etc.]" and anticipate the envious glares to follow!

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a little jealous of your family's interest in your knitting items, because I am giving socks for gifts this year to my parents and step-parents, and I'm a little worried they're going to look at them and go, "Really? Socks??" And not in a good way.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Kate A. said...

Aww - thanks for the photo of your other son. I agree with Olga - they look so much alike, and yet each is his own. They both share that adorably curly hair and bright, deep-looking eyes that make the heart just melt, though....

Cute socks, too!

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home