Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Fastest Project Ever

If you want to finish something fast, make house socks for an almost-four-year-old in worsted. J noted that I was making socks for Grandma and requested that I make him a pair of socks, too. Red ones. I have a hard time saying no to this face.

Pattern: No real pattern, just plain ribbed socks
Yarn: A little bit of Plymouth Encore Worsted in dark red
Needles: Size 5 Knit Picks Options Circulars
Gauge: About 4.75 sts per inch
Method: Cast on 30 sts and worked 3 x 2 rib. Did a short row heel with 5 unwrapped sts in the middle. Knit the foot plain until it looked about the right length (about 5 inches from the back of the heel). Decreased the toe (working decs one st in from the end of each needle) until I had 3 sts on each needle. Drew tail through remaining sts and tied off.
Thoughts: I usually think short row heels fit me a little better than heel flaps, but I think the heel flaps might have fit J better. Now on to socks for his brother!

Tomorrow is without a doubt my very favorite holiday. You can't beat a holiday that is all about hanging out with the people you love, eating yummy food, and generally relaxing. I am hoping to get a little knitting in as well. To all of you in the United States, Happy Thanksgiving!

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura, I'm with you on that! No present buying, deadlines, decorating, card mailing, etc..It's my favorite holiday by far. Have a wonderful day!
I can't wait to see what you finish this weekend! And you say you're not that fast...you could fool me!
PS SKB is making it's debut for turkey day! Love it!!

2:08 PM  
Blogger mary said...

Great house socks! I'm making some for holiday presents, so hopefully I'll have them done in time. Happy Thanksgiving!

3:03 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Cute socks! Happy Thanksgiving back at ya!

3:20 PM  
Blogger Ramona said...

Happy Thanksgiving! I love your Suger Free socks.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I agree, who could say no to that adorable face???? The socks are so cute too. Gotta love a fast project like that. Happy Thanksgiving!!!

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving from your Yarn Aboard Pal!

5:34 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Have a peaceful Thanksgiving

6:09 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

such sweet feet! happy thanksgiving to you and yours, sugar.

7:17 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Happy Thanksgiving - enjoy all the family, eating, and thankfulness!

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent socks for a well-deserving young man! I hope that everyone at AffiknittyCentral has a great Thanksgiving!

9:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've got to love those quickies!!
Happy Thanksgiving.

1:09 AM  
Blogger amandazen said...

Those look so warm and comfy! He will love them.

Amanda :)

6:35 PM  
Blogger Glaistig said...

Happy Thanksgiving! What cute red footsies :) J is clearly the child of a chic knitter.

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home