Tuesday, November 07, 2006

I'm Laura, and I'm a Pattern Addict

Because I am an admitted pattern ho, I will go to great lengths to add to my already burgeoning collection of knitting books and magazines. Recently, I became obsessed, obsessed with acquiring copies of Jo Sharp's new magazine, Knit. The issue pictured at left was simple enough to find from American online sources. But, no, I also had to have the newest issue. I simply could not wait. Even though the latest issue of an Australian knitting magazine would obviously feature summer patterns.

So I ordered these lovelies from an Australian source, Ozeyarn. The prices were amazing--half what each issue cost at the American sources I found. Even with international shipping, it was a better deal than ordering them from a U.S. source. I received my order surprisingly promptly, considering the distance that it was travelling, along with a nice note from the proprietor, color cards for Ozeyarn's own yarns, and a price list for the other yarns they carry. I'll have to do some comparison shopping, but their prices for Jo Sharp yarn look very competitive.

As to the content...well. The photography is beautiful, the layout is uncluttered, and the patterns are really fabulous. Be aware that these are really pattern books; there are no articles such as those you find in, say, a Rowan magazine. But if you like simple, clean, classic knits as I do, then these books are for you. Hie yourself over to Ozeyarn and order them!

While I liked both issues, I actually found more patterns that tempted the immediate cast-on in the summer issue. There are several long-sleeved pullover and cardigan patterns offered that would be suitable for winter wear in most parts of the Northern hemisphere, either in cotton for the more temperate climates or in wool for us Northerners. Several of the patterns had alternate fit options -- a shrug pattern offered both a snug and loose fit in various sizes and a bolero pattern was written for both long and short sleeves. The patterns are offered in a somewhat limited range of sizes; most patterns are written for four bust sizes ranging from 80 to 110 cm (31.5 to about 43 inches). A few patterns also included 120 and 130 cm bust sizes.

Once I finish some good-karma-creation-knitting for others, I hope to cast on one or more of these lovely patterns. The bolero and the shrug from Issue 2 are calling me, as well as the lovely lace sweater pictured below.

I also love this shawl collar cardigan knit in an alpaca blend from Issue 1.

I must have the finishing bug. I finished Clapotis, and I am furiously at work on the Licorice Whip sleeves. I've also knit a couple of 2 x 2 ribbed hats for the boys. For some reason (gnomes?), even after thorough searching, I cannot find an entire box of winter hats, gloves, scarves, etc. I swear I am not as disorganized as that makes me appear. Last week, I was embarrassed to send my children off to school hatless with snow on the ground. Shamed, I cast on hats for them over the weekend and finished the second one last night. Bad Mommy no more. Just in time for the warm front.

19 Comments:

Blogger jillian said...

Thanks for the link to Ozeyarn! I didn't know there was even a summer issue available, or that there was a time lag between what's available in Oz vs. overseas. I love her simple lines and classic styles too - and how interesting that it's competitively priced!

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool stuff. I really love that cardigan you pictured last.

12:06 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I've been tempted by those Jo Sharp mags too but have held off so far. Do you think they are better than her series of pattern books? I thought those were hit or miss - generally one thing I really liked and the rest just okay.

12:26 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Those patterns are fabulous! Sounds like you will have a bunch of FO's to share soon! :)

12:29 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Great patterns! I'm a pattern addict too. I try to control myself, but it's hard. I like Jo Sharp's designs too. Very classic.

12:49 PM  
Blogger gray la gran said...

thanks to your addiction, i now know about some new publications and resources!
i'm probably not allowed to knit another jo sharp thing until i finish my silk/tweed aran throw :(
i'll just enjoy vicariously in the meantime ....

1:21 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Those books look really lovely - clean and classic always appeals to me too. You are sure cranking the knits out lately - what's your secret. I've been in a slump for the past couple of days. :(

3:06 PM  
Blogger peaknits said...

From one patter ho to another - Thanks for the link to another goodie!! I gotta stop this!:)

7:04 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Wow! Those look like great magazines!

9:01 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I agree with you on the sweaters... they're all very classic styles and extremely wearable. Will have to go check out that link to the jo sharp books.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Glaistig said...

Oh, jeez. Must.Not.Click.On.Links.

Seriously, I am turning into a pattern ho too. I get sad drifting off to sleep at night thinking of all the patterns I don't have the time to knit.

Thanks for the review! Her patterns look very classic and flattering.

9:44 PM  
Blogger janna said...

About the hats for your kids? As I remember from my cold-weather childhood, once you started wearing hats/mittens/scarves, you were not allowed to stop for such silly things as warm fronts. Once it's cold, it's cold - even if it's 70 degrees out! ;-)

10:08 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

You are a BAD influence. Really, I get in trouble every time I read your blog!

1:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't buy many pattern books, but lately, I've been poring over old ones (and old magazines). Too bad it's very hard to find a fashionable pattern in a 1990 Vogue Knitting magazine. Unless huge tunics make a big comeback soon.

This bad mother BOUGHT her daughter a hat/glove/scarf set. Just in case I don't get to the handknits.

6:10 AM  
Blogger gretchen said...

thatnks for the review! I am also a pattern ho and had been considereing chasing those mags down. now I will....

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should just pack up and come live down here!

I agree, the latest Jo Sharp book is fantastic - I've already started the ribbed yoke top.

Also, if you decide to buy from Ozeyarn, you should try the Heirloom Alpaca - amazingly soft and well priced.

4:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, I could have written that post about being a pattern addict. I just walk into my LYS and the owner says, "Oh, we got some new pattern books you have to see!" She knows I'll buy at least one every time! It's quite pathetic, really. I also didn't know about the other edition of the Jo Sharp Knit magazine. So,
great, now I'll have to get that one, too!!! BTW, I found your blog because I'm just in the process of setting one up, and my sister suggested the name "Affiknitty" and I googled it to see if it was taken, and there you were. I'll add you to my list when I get mine online! Happy Knitting!

5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The shop with the largest range of Jo Sharp patterns and yarn is in Melbourne, Australia - the Wool Baa (www.woolbaa.com). Think their prices may be slightly cheaper.

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like a few more editions of Jo Sharp's Knit have been released! I saw them when I was visiting the Ozeyarn website. From past experience, I'd say Ozeyarn's customer service was the best.

12:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home