Monday, November 20, 2006

A Non-Violent Weekend of Knitting

That means I didn't get around to the acrylicide. But I was very productive. I finished the socks for Mom.

Pattern: Karen's Sugar-Free Socks by Chrissy Gardiner
Yarn: Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran color #104 (grey), 2 balls plus a little of a third
Needles: 2.5mm (US 1) Knit Picks Classic Circulars
Modifications: Changed needle size and made them shorter for my mom's petite feet; worked a short-row heel; made left-leaning cables on second sock so that they would be mirror images of each other. This was a wonderfully fun pattern to knit and I know my mom will enjoy wearing these very luxurious socks.

My friend Preeti and I also dyed yarn. Because I am the cheesy sort that likes to name her craft projects, I'm calling my new sock yarn "Everything's Gone Green." Naturally.

Yarn: Knit Picks Bare Merino sock yarn
Dye: Kool-Aid, 10 packets of lemon-lime and almost 1 whole packet of grape
Method: Microwave; poured dye bath directly onto yarn and then added water to bowl.
I like the results! Preeti used the same recipe to dye a skein of Cascade 220 worsted and hers is equally lovely. The colors vary from very pale green to olive to dark green. Next time, I'm going to try using more kool-aid and go for a darker, more solid shade.

I also dyed some worsted weight.

Yarn: Cascade 220, in white
Dye: Kool-Aid, 7 packets ice blue raspberry lemonade and 4 packets plain lemonade
Method: Microwave, mixed dye bath, added the yarn and stirred.
I wanted to do two things with this skein: first, to try to achieve a shade that is not super dark, but is nevertheless not too kiddy-looking and, second, to get a less variegated result. I think I was relatively successful. The yarn is nearly solid, with just tiny areas that are darker. Very pretty. My first impression of the color was, mouthwash. But the more I look at it, the better I like it. It's a vibrant happy aqua blue, like the paint on an Art-Deco stucco beach house. I'm calling it "Swimming Pool." It is destined to become a pair of One Skein Cabled Footies.

Finally, I spent Saturday morning and afternoon cleaning out the third floor of my house. For the last three years, we have been using the two rooms up there as S's therapy area for his ABA program. But now he's in full-day kindergarten. The little bit of home therapy we are still doing we like to do all over the house, so that he can generalize his skills. So I organized and put away reams of paperwork, threw out a lot of trash, and made one of the rooms a play room. The other room now houses the stash, some of my knitting books and magazines, assorted crafty goodies, a comfy chair, a CD player, and my hard copy of The Crane Wife, among other things.

It's a happy place.

19 Comments:

Blogger Sourire11 said...

Oooh I like your dyed yarn! I just got a big box 'o undyed sock yarn from knit picks and my plan for the day after Thanksgiving is to do nothing but dye Christmas presents for the knitters on my list.

Oh and I might be going to bizarre bizarre depending - it is very possible that I will be on a last minute ski trip that weekend (hopefully, if the weather cooperates). I'll let you know if I do go, though!

1:29 PM  
Blogger Brianne said...

I love your little space! I think that everyone needs a corner of their own.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

OH! Thanks for the YouTube video! I heart New Order so much (but you knew that).

I love your sugar-free socks! I think I'm going to have to break down and get that pattern; I just started a pair of socks for my mom but it's going to take me so long with fingering weight that they'll never get done in time for Xmas.

And thanks for the sneak peek into your cozy corner. You know we live for this stuff. :-)

3:02 PM  
Blogger allie said...

Your dyed yarn is absolutely beautiful... I've been meaning to try kool-aid dying eventually.

6:44 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Ahhhhh, your own knitting space. Just looking at it makes me relax. *sigh*

7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1) Wow thoes socks are so nice.

2) Your dyed yarn is gorgeous. I love the turquoise. Did you read any books about dyeing yarn? I'm thinking of jumping into that because I can't stop jumping into things.

3) Your space is so nice and peaceful. Ahhhhh.

4) I'm still trying the magic loop. I actually think I get the concept of it but I've never knit on circs before so I'm thinking of getting a larger pair of needles just to see if I really do have the hang of it or if I'm kidding myself. Do you have a suggestion for a good easy sock pattern to do on the magic loop with that awesome yarn you sent me? I'm going to make you proud so help me.

12:29 AM  
Blogger Glaistig said...

I love Cascade 220 and you, intrepid Mistress of Dyed Yarn, have now seriously inspired me to consider giving hand dyeing a whirl (a wool?)

The sugar-free socks are lovely. I wish I had "petite feet," tee hee :) Lucky Mum!

"It's a happy place." Now that's about the best dang thing I've heard all day. . . .

1:53 AM  
Blogger This Weary Traveler said...

Your own little corner of the world looks great. Every mom needs their own little space.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

Oh what a lovely space...a room with a view. I have yet try the kool aid dying. I have the kool aid...but, heh. The socks from Chrissy pattern really came great.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Wow, that was a busy weekend. I keep thinking it should have a label "no acrylic was harmed in the filming of this weekend" - LOL!! (yes, I'm over-tired). Love your sugar-free socks - great idea with the mirrored cables. I'm going to do that on my next pair (I'm such a copy-cat). Your yarns are beautiful. Now that it's been cold here I've been itching to do some Kool-Aid dying again. I just have to think about what color (umm, flavor) I want to try. Love the new 3rd floor craft room - it's a very happy place. :)

9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your knitting spot!! Looks wonderful. And great socks, too.

9:55 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

I love how your socks turned out. And I really love your cozy space. It looks so peaceful. Someday we're going to add on to the cottage, and my knitting/peaceful room is going to the first room into the plan.

10:19 PM  
Blogger Dame Wendy said...

The socks are wonderful. I'm always envious of sock knitters. I can't seem to manage to finishe the pair I started months and months ago. :)

10:23 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Your dyeing is amazing! I love the deeper teal blue. Lovely.

12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - that Swimming Pool is very David Hockney. If you make knee socks out of it, you should call them your Hockney Sock-knees.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

What a perfect knitting space!

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sockage and the dyeing both look wonderful!! :o)

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your 'Happy Place'. I usually just knit in the TV room, but I would love a quiet little corner to sit and fondle my yarn.

5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay - studio space for all those socks you have to make!!!
love the kiddo pics and those socks are gorgeous! happy t-giving a week late, laura!
XOXO

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home