Thursday, November 30, 2006

Old WIPs and New KALs

Poor Anastasia. She's been languishing over there on the sidebar for ages like a wallflower at a high school dance. But the good news is, I've picked her up again and should be finishing soon. Expect pictures in the nearish future.

I am desperate to clear things off the "on the needles" list. I've laughed in the face of my recent bad knitalong luck, and joined Stranded: The Colorwork Challenge.



I am so excited about this. I haven't done a colorwork project in quite a while and I've been itching to do some again. The kind hostesses posed a few introductory questions...

What are your projects for this knitalong?

Well, I'm hoping to do more than one! I'm fairly certain the first one will be Eunny's Endpaper Mitts. I am planning to use Knit Picks Gloss in burgundy and cocoa. There's also a lovely pair of fair isle socks in Vogue Knitting on the Go: Socks that I would like to make. They are knit in about nine gorgeous heathered shades of Alice Starmore wool. I am thinking of substituting Jamieson's Spindrift or jumper weight. No doubt there will be others, or I will be distracted by the other knitters' projects!

Is this your first colorwork project? If it isn't, what was your first, and has it survived the test of time?

No--relatively early in my knitting career I made a number of kids' hats with stranded colorwork motifs incorporated in them. They were highly unsophisticated but appreciated by the recipients. I made one for my son that he liked so much he would play with it too, putting it on his stuffed Thomas the Tank Engine. It is now just a pile of tangled yarn, as he has loved it into oblivion.

Earlier this year, I made mittens, which were my first attempt at all-over stranded colorwork. The pattern is Mittens from Lapland, and appears in the book Folk Mittens. (I highly recommend this installment of the Folk Knitting series.) I love the cuff. They were knit in burgundy, teal, and cream Cascade 220. I expected they would take a long time to finish, but really the total knitting time was pretty short. It's just so much fun to watch the patterns develop.

They are not perfect, but I am very proud of them.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

KALs, except for the Dishcloth KAL, seem to be the kiss of death for many of my projects.

Your Yarn Aboard Pal

12:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow! I think your mittens are spectacular! I love your color choice.

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Burgundy & cocoa--sounds so beautiful! And the mittens are very impressive!

2:34 PM  
Blogger Bitterknitter said...

You should be proud of those mittens; they're gorgeous!

3:32 PM  
Blogger allie said...

Impressive, they really are great. You should be proud of them.

4:35 PM  
Blogger Mama Urchin said...

Those mittens are so pretty, the colors and the pattern.

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Thanks for visiting my site. 2. I *love, love, love* the Decemberists. 3. Your mittens are inspirational in a wintery, colorful, Nordic kinda way. Wow!

10:39 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

I know exactly how you feel about getting the old stuff done! I myself am itching to make something lacy...but I also want to knit those Endpaper Mitts!

12:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see the 'Stasias!! And I still am impressed by those mittens.

7:24 AM  
Blogger gray la gran said...

i think the mittens look pretty darn good! i'd love to join the KAL, but i have found that i sure like the pretty buttons and don't stay the course for completing the project :)

7:33 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

What a great KAL, and your project is a lovely one.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Sonya said...

I remember those mittens. They're gorgeous! I'm excited about the stranded colorwork KAL. I'm definitely in a colorwork phase.

9:47 AM  
Blogger stacyZ said...

Wow those mittens are fantabulous. I too am joining the stranded KAL with my first colorwork ever - also the endpaper mitts. I cannot wait to see how yours turn out.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

you should definately be proud of the mitts!!! I've been stalking that Eunny pattern... and I've also been wanting to try some color work... can't wait to see how your projects go!

1:18 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I'm so tempted to join you!

I'm sure I told you before that those mittens are great. Can't wait to see your work for the KAL!

5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't really do any colorwork at all, and I can't decide whether it's because I don't enjoy doing it or because I'm chicken. It's probably the latter but I'll persist in telling myself the former.

Your mittens are beautiful!

3:00 PM  
Blogger Glaistig said...

Colorwork! Just we need to ward off the pre-solstice darkeness. I forgot that you made those lovely mittens in Cascade 220. Hmm. . . .

3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home