Sunday, December 10, 2006

And Even More Socks

Pattern: Cabled Footies by Leigh Radford in One Skein
Yarn: Cascade 220 worsted, handdyed with Kool-Aid, less than one full skein
Needles: US 6 Inox 40 inch circulars
Modifications: Not a one. I knit the pattern exactly as it was written. I made the smallest size and had plenty of yarn to spare. I didn't really like the way the toe turned out -- it was a little too long and pointy for my taste. When I knit this pattern again, and I am certain I will, I'll make the foot longer and the toe shorter and rounder.

I didn't absolutely love this yarn in the skein. But, boy, did I love the way it knitted up. I love the short repeats of many, many shades of blue, as you can see in the picture of the heel flap. Needless to say, I will probably never be able to recreate this.

**********

And now, for the Public Service Announcements... Shobhana is raising money for the Dulaan Project by selling the pattern for this lovely Bejeweled Scarf. She is wearing it in the author photo of her book, Yarnplay. It costs you $2.25, and for each pattern sale, Shobhana and Anichini (a luxury textiles company) will donate $3.50 to F.I.R.E. They are the non-profit organization that delivers the goods to Mongolia for the Dulaan Project. Please go help! It costs major bucks to get all those handknitted goods over to Mongolia. If you can't knit for Dulaan, or even if you have, here's an excellent and easy way to help send some warmth to a cold and impoverished region. Thanks!

After the holidays, the redoubtable Lolly is hosting a very informal Bejeweled knitalong (she's still recovering from Socktoberfest, dont'cha know). More information about the knitalong can be found by clicking on the Bejeweled KAL button in the sidebar.

If you are thinking of gifting candles this holiday season, please consider buying from Wendy at Dame Candle Company. She's an indie craftypreneur fighting mass production one amazing candle at a time. You've probably heard of her from her sponsorship of Cast On. Although she has received quite a few orders recently (scroll down), she has mentioned that she needs to have a rockin' next month or so to be able to keep her business going. I have purchased these candles myself and they are fantastic. It would be such a shame if she had to stop producing them! So before you buy from that northeastern chain candle place, or that bath products store that you see in every mall, consider placing an order from Wendy. Thanks again!

Labels: ,

27 Comments:

Blogger Acornbud said...

Wow, Laura, next thing I'll be reading you grew your own sheep and made your own wool:) I just love how the colors came out and still can't believe it's kool aid!

12:23 PM  
Blogger Lnanaa said...

Wow very nice, I love the colors.

12:27 PM  
Blogger amy said...

the blues are lovely and the footies look great in that yarn!

1:07 PM  
Blogger jillian said...

Your footies look great! Good job on the dying. I wouldn't have thought of 220 for that pattern - but it's an obvious match!

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww! Thanks sweetie!!!

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow laura you are like a sock knitting machine! way to go! they look great :0) x

5:03 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

The footies are beautiful!

5:09 PM  
Blogger Laura B said...

Those colors are so nice in that pattern! It's a nice thing that the color can't be replicated, that makes them unique. :)

5:21 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Nothing like warm toasty feet there!

7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are on fire with the knitting lately! impressive.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

love the socks! very cute :) thanks for the tip on the candle company! ;)

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a way with Kool-Aid! I've always thought of Kool-Aid colors as the washed out pinks and yellows that never quite look like intentional dyeing. I'm wrong; those blues are fantastic.

Great socks, too.

5:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've made two pairs of these socks, and the only thing that bugged me is how the side cables blend right in to the foot. I made the first and last stitch on the instep a purl, and it really helped define the cable. Great colors, by the way!!

6:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great sockage! I love the color - and the cables look awesome! :o)

8:41 AM  
Blogger Cat said...

The footies looks great and the colour is amazing...

10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1) HOW do you knit socks so fast? I'm still stuck on my first one! *sob*

2) I bought the pattern for Bejweled. It's so pretty and what a great cause and GREAT percentage going to the cause which is so rare.

3) I have also ordered from Wendy and will vouch for her amazing products. I adore her tarts.

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

those are so pretty! i love all the blues. you're makin me want to make some cozy blue socks now. :)

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

those are so pretty! i love all the blues. you're makin me want to make some cozy blue socks now. :)

1:22 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

Just bought some candles from dame candle co. can't wait for both of them to arrive... mmmm. I got cool water and fresh laundry! thanks for the Rec'....

9:15 AM  
Blogger jennie said...

those socks look SO cozy...

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great socks! The colours are lovely and the look very toasty and warm. Knitting with worsted weight is great for quick gratification isn't it?

10:16 AM  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Wow... love the colors. Isn't kool-aid fun!

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the tone-on-tone blues you were able to get with KoolAid -- thank goodness they sell so many flavors!

1:38 PM  
Blogger allie said...

I'm about to cast on the Cabled Footies for a Christmas present, but hope to make some for myself as well. Your work is great, and the Kool-Aid colors are very unique... the effect is beautiful and reminds me of the sea.

10:53 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

You got those amazing colors with kool aid? WOW!

2:29 PM  
Blogger Glaistig said...

Gorgeous texture on the socks! It's good to know that Cascade 220 works so wonderfully for footies.

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok...you have inspired me to try koolaid dye...and socks because I love how your blues turned out! Thank-God I found those flavors locally. Walmart never has what I need! Uggh! But even better...I loved seeing the blues done for those socks! I got that sock pattern from the book at my local library, and decided they'd be a great first sock project. I'm the last knitter on earth who hasn't tried socks yet! Most of the dyed yarn is going into a Pinwheel Sweater by Elann, but I'm hoping I'll have enough left over for something else. I love blue so I'm realy glad you posted your results!! Thanks!!

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home