Wednesday, December 13, 2006

A Different Sort of Public Service Announcement


Mistake Stitch Scarf
Originally uploaded by Affiknitty.

I just finished a pair of Fetching gloves this morning, with a little high drama to relate. I seem to be incapable of taking a decent picture of a black knitted item, and I am planning to knit more of them, so a formal FO post will be forthcoming.

But I did want to warn you that I was not able to knit the pattern as written with just one ball of Cashmerino Aran. My answer was to shorten the thumb. The pattern says to knit four rounds for the thumb and then cast off loosely. By the time I got to the second glove I had only enough yarn to do two thumb rounds and the cast off, with literally an inch and a half of yarn to spare. So I undid the bind off on the first glove, ripped back a couple of rounds and bound off again so they would match. I think they look fine with a shorter thumb, and for me, that's all it took to be able to squeak a pair out of one ball.

Since I was unable to take a good picture of the Fetching gloves, and blog posts are infinitely more fun with pictures, here is a picture of my Red Scarf in progress. That Knit Picks Decadence is aptly named. But I have this thing about alpaca.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello I've been reading your blog for a few weeks now and just wanted say great knitting and GREAT taste in music! Loved the Ella F. song. . .

10:32 AM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Your scarf looks yummy! Alpaca is such a good fiber. I'm knitting a scarf at the moment with... cashmere. Oh. My. God. Unbelievably soft! But I'm half afraid to touch it. Alpaca is much less intimidating. Can't wait to see your Fetchings.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Kate A. said...

Decadence, decadence, decadence...You've gone and turned me into a gibbering, drooling puddle again. Damn you and your luscious red yarns!

Anyway. Great idea for fetching. I happen to have *one ball* of cashmerino aran - one of those balls of yarn that just leaped into my arms in an LYS one day and *would* not put itself back on the shelf. Naturally, as soon as fetching came out I thought about using it for that, but have been debating about making fetching in a different yarn just to avoid the pain of running out at the last minute. But I'm okay with short thumbs.

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love mistake-stitch rib. There's something so satisfying about it; it's as if you could get lost in the ribs. Looks delightful.

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely red scarf. I need someone to help me take a proper picture of the color red!

2:23 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

My one skein pal made me a pair of Fetching using Knitpicks Decadence. Nice stuff, that.

7:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your scarf looks loverly! I haven't knit Fetching yet (I know! Am I the only one?), but I think your solution's a good one. Smart cookie!

O.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

We'll have to compare Decadence mistake stitch scarves - so fast and fun, isn't it?

And as for Fetching, I posted to the Who Wouldn't Love a Handknit Gift Blog about making Fetching out of a DK wt on US4s - tons leftover!

11:58 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

pretty scarf!! i love that deep red! I haven't tried the KP Decadence but I keep reading good things so I think I may hafta order some. I've been listening to Decemberists 24/7 since your email, thanks for all the music advice! :-)

3:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had that problem with fetchings too. I just did 17 rows instead of 18 in each if the ribbed/body pieces. It didn't shorten it that noticeably, and I had enough yarn. Lovely colour for your scarf!

12:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had that problem with fetchings too. I just did 17 rows instead of 18 in each if the ribbed/body pieces. It didn't shorten it that noticeably, and I had enough yarn. Lovely colour for your scarf!

12:36 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Yup--I needed to make my Fetchings longer (giant hands), so I ended up getting 3 pairs from 4 balls. Too bad, as it defintiely takes away from the enticement of the 1-skein project, but on the plus side I endd up with a couple of spare pairs for gifting!

10:24 AM  
Blogger Glaistig said...

The ribbing on the Mistake Stitch scarf looks so squeezable! I just finished my first pair of gloves and, boy, knitting those danged fingers were a true trial. Black Fetching gloves sound wonderfully chic.

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home